++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
dario
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
lyric interpretations

After a long time I decided to revisit Creed's lyrics and try to figure out what Creed was saying in some of their songs. I have come up with a lot of my own interpretations, but a few songs have me puzzled. I have tried searching different sites reading what different peoples interpretations were. Most of the time they skip the harder to interpret songs and the songs they do interpret, well, is a pretty bad interpretation. So I came to this site and saw that there are a lot of die hard Creed fans, so hopefully somebody can help me in my search. Seek and they shall find.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Sicky
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sicky Send a message via AIM to Sicky Send a message via MSN to Sicky
Don't Stop Dancing is one of the songs that are pretty easy to interpret, isn't it? Anyway, I made an interpretation about this song for a presentation in school... I did a whole band review with it. Sorry if the English's not correct I'm German and 15 But my English teacher thought it was very good Here it is:

I think experiences in his own life and ?The With Arms Wide Open Foundation? (an organisation Scott Stapp has founded and that ?protects the well being of children by seeking to ensure healthy, loving, nuturing bonds between children and their parents through funding exisiting service providers?) inspired Scott to write this song. It possibly tells about his feelings about the divorce with his ex-wife Hillaree and how it effected on himself and his young son Jagger.
He justifies his decision, the divorce, in the first verse by explaining that life sometimes turns into situations you can?t avoid (?At times??) and that ?although you should never give up hope- you might arrive at a point where there?s no turning back (A silver lining??), for example after too many and too rude arguments.
The second verse describes how Scott doesn?t blame a certain person for all the things neither his son and ex-wife nor himself deserve (?At times life?s unfair?) and how strong the pain he feels is ? he feels like God has forgotten about him (?Hey God??) although he?s very religious.
When the song turns into its bridge, Scott tells that he reaches ? once again (this could refer to his childhood; the religious way his parents educated him made him run away from home) - a very low and sad point (??on my knees??). The lines ?But I know I must go on - Although I hurt I must be strong? might either mean that someone makes him reach this low point (that?s the way it?s translated on german internet sites) or that he can?t and doesn?t want to change his mind about the divorce although he knows it causes a lot of pain to his ex-wife, his son and himself.
They probably also mean that he has to put much effort in making things become ?normal? again. This is supposed to mean that although he?s still suffering all the pain he doesn?t want it to make him a sad and depressed man for the rest of his life. That also goes together with the second bridge (?Am I hiding in the shadows? ? Forget the pain and forget the sorrows?): It might mean that the light which is mentioned in the first verse representing joy and happiness (??just can?t see the light?) can?t reach him because he currently doesn?t feel like being happy but he constantly keeps demanding himself to change this situation again.
The last line before the chorus (?That many feel this way?) shows that his actual situation is the same a lot of others have already suffered and nearly everyone else can suffer, too.
The chorus, the most important part of a song, presents also the thing that claims his priority the most: That children, his son Jagger included, must not lose joy and happiness because of a divorce. It?s represented by the metaphor ?don?t stop dancing?. Children who often can?t force themselves to stop being sad after a divorce -like Scott tries to do- should be given hope that they will have left all their sorrows behind someday to support them becoming happy again as fast as possible.
The end says that everything the song tells about is probably only what he hopes his life will become because he ?and his son- are currently still at a very low point (?Am I hiding? - Are we hiding??; sang with a kind of sad voice).

There are a few other interpretations in German at www.creed-online.de ...but don't expect me to translate them

By the way... all those question marks were "s, 's or ...s... they got changed when I copied the text

Last edited by Sicky : 10-23-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Just a note: I'll be adding a "Song Meaning" forum for Creed and Alter Bridge very soon where you can read and post your interpretations of songs.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 10-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Trimontana
USER INFO »
I was very impressed how a guy/girl of your age wrote such a good interpretation/review. Well done!!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 10:07 PM   #5
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) Just a note: I'll be adding a "Song Meaning" forum for Creed and Alter Bridge very soon where you can read and post your interpretations of songs.
That sounds like a cool forum, Steve.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 10-24-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
Sicky
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sicky Send a message via AIM to Sicky Send a message via MSN to Sicky
Quote: (Originally Posted by Trimontana) I was very impressed how a guy/girl of your age wrote such a good interpretation/review. Well done!!!!

Guy, not girl, please Thanks anyway
Old 10-24-2004, 02:10 PM   #7
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Yeah, good (except for the grammar/spelling...LOL).
Old 10-24-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
dario
USER INFO »
What are your thoughts on the song Say I and Faceless Man?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
Sicky
USER INFO »
Don't Know about Say I... but Faceless Man could be about finding out who you really are by ignoring all the influences on you in the modern world... hope you understand what I'm trying to say. But I haven't thought of any parts in the song that could back up my thoughts (something like quote/meaning)... it's just my first impression

Last edited by Sicky : 10-24-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:58 PM   #10
EvenStream
USER INFO »
I think it's good that Stapp never told the interpretations because then the songs can mean different things in the fans life aswell.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #11
dario
USER INFO »
I would have to agree, I think one of the reasons that Creed became so popular was that Scott didn't interpret the lyrics for us. He gave us the opportunity to use our minds and interpret the lyrics the way that we see them. So going with that, I would still like to hear someone's thoughts on the song Say I. Its a very mysterious song, and I believe that if you look deep into the lyrics and have an open mind, the answer starts to reveal itself to you. Seek and you shall find.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #12
StillACreedFan
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Sicky) Don't Know about Say I... but Faceless Man could be about finding out who you really are by ignoring all the influences on you in the modern world... hope you understand what I'm trying to say. But I haven't thought of any parts in the song that could back up my thoughts (something like quote/meaning)... it's just my first impression
I always thought Faceless Man was about him judging himself(looking at the reflection in the water)and accepting the good and bad about himself.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:48 PM   #13
dario
USER INFO »
A lot of people have different interpretations of the song Faceless Man, whether you are a Christian or not. Even Scott Stapp said that if you are a Christian you will have a Christian perspective on the song, or on any song. So I will share my interpretation of the song Faceless Man and what it means to me. I am a Christian and so I will have a Christian perspective on this song.

The first verse of this song implies to me that Stapp(assuming he did write the song) was trying to get away from the world to think. "I spent some time with nature to remind me of all that's real." Nature is a good place to go when you just want to get away and reexamine your life. This is what I think Stapp was doing. "Its funny how silence speaks sometimes when you're alone." To me, this is obviously talking about a persons conscience, or, in the Christian perspective, the Holy Spirit. Now when it comes to who the Faceless Man is, there are a lot of opinions. I've heard people think the Faceless Man is Satan or Scott's inner self, or I've even heard people think it was Jesus. In my opinion, I believe that the Faceless Man is that part in all of us that wants to go against what is right, or to live in the 'sinful nature.' When Stapp is saying, "Again I stand against the Faceless Man," I think he is saying he wants to fight that part of him that wants to come out and live in that sinful nature that we were all born into.
I believe the second verse is talking about Jesus and here is my reasoning. When writing the line,"His yoke is easy and His burden is light," Stapp was referring to Jesus. Matthew 11:30 says, "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Also, in verse 28(2 verses before the above) it says,"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Now in my interpretation, doesn't that sound a lot like what Stapp might have been feeling, taking into account he was spending time with nature to remind him of whats real?
Stapp was feeling weary and burdened and so, looking for a place to go to think clearly, nature seems to be the most logical place. And with Scott's upbringing he probably was aware that God created nature and everything in it, bringing with it, in my opinion, the very presence of God. And I strongly believe that if you sincerely look for God, you will find Him. I believe Stapp felt God's presence in refering to the face he saw on the water and the will of a warrior. "He looked me right in the eyes direct and concise to remind me to always do whats right." That is Stapp feeling convicted to stay on the right path and continue doing what is right. He is reminding Stapp what he already knows, to always do whats right.
I think the third verse is Scott realizing that he can't do it alone, that he can't go through life without help, help from Jesus. I think what Scott is writing here is how a lot of us feel at times. Helpless and alone. And so that brings me to the bridge of the song, the most powerful part in my opinion. Now in going with my idea that the face Stapp is talking about in the second verse is Jesus, I believe that in the bridge he is also refering to Jesus by mentioning the face. "Next time I see this face I'll say I choose to live for always. So won't you come inside and never go away." This verse, in my belief, is talking about salvation. For one to become a Christian, or to recommit his life to Christ, one must first accept the things Jesus did and said. One of those things that Jesus said was that we would have eternal life with him if we believed, or in other words, to live for always. The next step in salvation is to invite Jesus into our life, to take over our lives, so that we may live for the better. "So won't you come inside and never go away." Can you not feel the passion in Stapp's voice when he sings these few lines? Its powerful. Even if this is not the correct interpretation, I believe it is still a good interpretation. It encourages me, an imperfect Christian who lives for Jesus, to do everything that is right, no matter what the world says.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:12 PM   #14
Kimvan
USER INFO »
Wonderful interpretation, and one I totally agree with. I am a Christian as well, and the first time I heard Faceless Man, that is how I viewed it. God bless...

Just give love to all....

Peace, and God Bless
Old 10-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #15
R U Ready?
USER INFO »
I think "Say I" deals with a similar theme that MOP does. "We're incomplete and hollow, for our maker's gone away. Who is to blame? We'll surely melt in the rain. Say I."

We as humans are responsible for the low points in our life. We may want to blame God-"our maker's gone away"-but we're the ones to blame-"Who's to blame? Say I."

The 2nd verse deals with that, falling down cuz you have no inner strength.

bridge-trying to be your own man (or woman), not be average and fall into the normal traps-"No, I don't him (mankind)"...."They lie!"

my opinion of Say I.

-Open Your Eyes