++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 10-04-2002, 04:01 AM   #31
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
No, no, it's probably my misinterpreting. You do a fine job of conveying your ideas. I agree, we defiinitely could do more with less. Thank you for clearing that up. Sometimes, I can be just a tad slow

Allison, I know what you mean, that's what my parents tell me. They can't understand why I don't want any more stuff. My mother tells me I'm being selfish or ungrateful or hurting people's feelings by saying I don't want gifts. I understand that they are trying to be thoughtful, but I'd be happier if they would donate the money in my name or something. Altair is right. We are so programmed to spend, spend, spend and to believe that are lives are more complete with all the material largesse. And with the media even more pervasive than ever, it seems that it will never stop.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:28 AM   #32
allison
USER INFO »
I don't know, maybe I AM being selfish. B/c it's true, I know I LOVE it when someone opens a gift from me that they love and that I've put alot of thought into. So maybe I am being selfish denying them that pleasure. But doesn't the gift-giver only get that pleasure when the gift they give truly pleases to receiver? If that's the case, then the gift that would please me the most would be a donation, like I said. Still, to me, the gift should be about what the receiver wants, not about what the giver wants to give. It's just so frustrating, but maybe I'll have a talk with my family and finally make them understand and it will work this Christmas! We'll see. I would try Lady V's suggestion, but I usually give to animal charities (big suprise, right?) and I don't know how useful people-store goods would be.

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 10-05-2002, 02:51 AM   #33
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I enjoy it too, when someone appreciates the thought I put into a gift, but I keep thinking there's got to be a way to stop the buying. If we could just get people to start thinking about each other and how important that is rather than all the *stuff* they think they need. It's easier said than done for some. Some members in my family are serious shop-aholics. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the *things* I have, but I just don't need any more things.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:58 PM   #34
Aimee
USER INFO »
Altair, I think you explain your beliefs beautifully. And I agree that "wanting" and "needing" are two different things. To answer your question, yes I have lived with nothing. I lived in poverty where I had to chose between food or gas (another debateable neccesity) to get to work to buy the food I need. I have lived with an over abundance and found the "stuff" overwhelming. Now, I spring clean every six months and donate all the things I haven't used in a year. There are some things that, though I had and could live without them, I'm grateful to have:
1. Car
2. Washer & Dryer
3. Dishwasher
LadyV, I agree with you that alcohol and such should not be used as "crutches" to deny what's happening in life. I only meant that for one night or one week, the pain of existing in a world where death or loss has to occur can be lessened with these things. In no way do I think someone should use these things all the time. Also, regarding the psychological dependacy on weed, I know that there is one. The great thing is that when you finally wake up and realize that you're addicted in this way, it doesn't take a month of withdrawals to get off of it. And I think that's awesome!

"What you don't have, you don't need." U2
Old 10-07-2002, 03:43 AM   #35
souldancer
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
If we could just get people to start thinking about each other and how important that is rather than all the *stuff* they think they need.  
Watch out - if you get me on the soap box on this topic, I may crush the box! Simple living is my desparate cry! And as we approach the holidays, the consumer driven, commercialization propaganda can make you nuts - but only if we let it. It's a choice.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:59 PM   #36
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
I'm a Feshman in HS....it's mandetory to take health classes.....we're in the middle of a section about alcohol,marijuana,and other drugs.........during the daily notes, our teacher has shown us pictures of babies and children that have developed horrible Berth defects because of alcohol MARIJUANA use during pregnancy............think of what would happen if ALL drugs were legal.........there would be billions of people with deformidies because their dumb-ass mothers and fathers used stupid drugs like marijuana........BILLIONS OF LIVES WOULD BE RUINED IF ALL DRUGS WERE LEGALIZED!!!!!!!!

Jesus + Guitars = Life
Old 10-11-2002, 10:05 PM   #37
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
I kno what i just said wasn't from a religious standpoint.....and i have one of those also....so here we go...
Jesus says that your body is a Temple of God.......so any time you put harmful things in your body.....your not only hurting yourself.....but your hurting a sacred temple of God........thats my viewpoint on drugs.......

Jesus + Guitars = Life
Old 10-12-2002, 02:26 PM   #38
Aimee
USER INFO »
TWB

EXCELLENT points on both of your last posts. Especially the fact that your body is a temple. Another reason to know that anything in excess cannot be good for you.
A note regarding pregnancy and the effects of drugs on babies: we would hope that if these drugs were legalized, women would abstain from taking them while they were pregnant (just like they don't drink caffeine or alcohol). Women who would do drugs while they are pregnant would most likely do them whether or not they are illegal.
And just so you know, doctors actually encourage expectant mothers to drink a bit of beer or wine in the last trimester. The alcohol helps relax the parts of the body needed for delivery of the baby and of milk. I'm not picking on you, just letting you know. Maybe you can ask your teacher about that.
Welcome to the board, looking forward to your reply!
Old 10-12-2002, 03:07 PM   #39
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Aimee, you took the post right out from my fingers. Anything in moderation is ok (within reason, crack is not). When I was pregnant with both my girls, I drank only decaf coffee (I'm an avid fan of regular coffee, 2-4 cups everyday), did not drink any alcohol. I am not a cigarette or pot smoker, or a drug user. But if I were, I'd use my common sense. When you have another life growing inside your body, you treat it with respect, and you take care of your body. Common sense. Well said Aimee.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 10-12-2002, 05:27 PM   #40
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
Re: TWB

Quote: Originally posted by Aimee
EXCELLENT  
A note regarding pregnancy and the effects of drugs on babies: we would hope that if these drugs were legalized, women would abstain from taking them while they were pregnant (just like they don't drink caffeine or alcohol).  Women who would do drugs while they are pregnant would most likely do them whether or not they are illegal.

the thing is.....the most damage to an unborn baby from the effexts of drugs happens during the 3rd week of pregnancy......ussualy women dont kno they're pregnant till after that........so even if the mother wants to stop during pregnancy....it might already be too late........... just another point I'd like to add.

Jesus + Guitars = Life
Old 10-13-2002, 10:40 AM   #41
Altair
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by TremontiWanaB
I'm a Feshman in HS....it's mandetory to take health classes.....we're in the middle of a section about alcohol,marijuana,and other drugs.........during the daily notes, our teacher has shown us pictures of babies and children that have developed horrible Berth defects because of alcohol MARIJUANA use during pregnancy............think of what would happen if ALL drugs were legal.........there would be billions of people with deformidies because their dumb-ass mothers and fathers used stupid drugs like marijuana........BILLIONS OF LIVES WOULD BE RUINED IF ALL DRUGS WERE LEGALIZED!!!!!!!!

First of all, billions of people are already using drugs, so please don't assume that legalization of drugs is automatically going to make habitual users out of nonusers. Remember, we have choice and choices are best made when made from an educated perspective.

I simply believe that the millions of dollars being wasted on a futile war against drugs can be reinvested towards the education of the harmful effects of these drugs, equating to billions of positive outcomes for the trillions of people to come in our future so that they don't rattle off quadrillions and pentillions of uneducated comments about something they might not really have a clue about.

To this day, there is still no conclusive evidence that marijuana usage causes any kind of physical damage to the average user. In fact, more and more, medical science is realizing the benefits of this drug.
A gateway drug it might be. I once used pot and it was nothing more than a gateway to a more spiritual, peaceful, enlightened life for me. I no longer use it because I now realize that the moment is all you need. Just a choice.

The only reason I began this thread was to see if anyone else shared my belief that our freedoms are being taken away every time we turn the corner. They are being taken away in fear, in fear that we might ruin our lives. Well, sometimes that fear is just, and sometimes that fear will breed nothing more than ignorance and a dangerous complancency that someone else knows how to run and live our lives better than we do. Well, I'm sorry, but this is my life and I was under the assumption that America is about freedom and the pursuit of happiness. I believe it still is and that people can reawaken to this reality and take us to another level, one that has yet to be reached. Reasonably, I should be allowed to smoke a joint if I want to. I should be able to shoot up if I want to. And, I should live in a country where I'm not binded and chained by a multitude of laws that tell me what I cannot do, where freedom is disappearing in a shroud of lies that tell me my freedom is protected. No, I should live in a country that embraces my freedom and helps me make the best decisions that I can, taking my hand when I make mistakes, lifting me up back on my feet and showing me that I have support. Let's come together in compassion, love, freedom, and unity. Can you take me higher?

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 10-13-2002, 01:51 PM   #42
Aimee
USER INFO »
Quote: A gateway drug it might be.

Again, I maintain that it is a gateway drug because it is illegal and you have to go underground to get it therefore giving you access to other drugs.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:39 PM   #43
Altair
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Aimee
Again, I maintain that it is a gateway drug because it is illegal and you have to go underground to get it therefore giving you access to other drugs.

Yep, I'd agree with that. All the more reason to legalize it and all drugs to possibly eliminate the underground scene which is dangerous and dirty. However, I'm not sure politicians and government will agree to this because there is a possiblity they are making major amounts of money from the underground scene as well.

Funny thing is, you can also consider cigarettes, coffee and any kind of mental/phyical altering drugs, no matter how minor they might be, as "gateway" materials. Seems to me it depends on the individual and what they know/don't know.

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 10-14-2002, 03:07 PM   #44
souldancer
USER INFO »
Got into this discussion with a cousin last night...whoaaaaaaaa - hes' a big Rush Limbaugh supporter! (** cough ** spit ** cough **.) I think it is disgusting and so un-democratic what they have done in California. The People voted Yes for medical marijuana use, yet the frigin Feds can come in and clear out the medical marijuana suppliers. Go figure?!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:22 PM   #45
souldancer
USER INFO »
Re: Legalize Drugs?

Quote: Originally posted by Altair
Should marijuana be legal? What about drugs in general?
I say Yes, to the first question. And, as for the second question, "How do you spell pharmacy?" I am so sick of the healthcare systems, insurance companies, chemical and biotech companies, and the frigin American Medical Ass. who chooses and brainwashes people that THEIR DRUGS are OK?! But know what was really meant by the second question - legalizing the 'other illegal' drugs, and granted that IS a very complicated issue. Aimmee, Altair and DS have already said many points I would repeat and I thank them.