++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #16
josha31042
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: "Creed Live" DVD Review

Yeah....

I doubt I'll buy the deluxe version now, as much as I want to...
I can stomach the problems with the performance....but the freakin' editing is absolutely unacceptable. Screw their 239 cameras.
Sure, Dan, it was nice to have all of that. But we don't need to see every one of them every few seconds...pick a frame and stick with it for more than a second or two. Having the camera switch positions so much was kind of annoying, imo. Also.....seriously? I mean, SERIOUSLY?

SRSLY?!?!?! DUBYA TEE EFF WERE THE PRODUCERS DOING?
WHY DID THEY SCREW UP THE SHOW?

I mean, really, a 10 year old could have done better work getting the audio and video synched up. They almost completely screwed A Thousand Faces with the way they sped Stapp up, they killed One Last Breath, (and I thought it couldn't get much worse..), after they OBVIOUSLY had Stapp's vocals not even matching what he was physically saying.
There's parts where Stapp is talking where the words don't even match his lips at all. Seriously. FAIL. Horrible. I've actually never seen a video released with this kind of problem with it. It's like they got tired of work, said "eff it", and put it on the shelf.

This is what happens when you speed things up, and don't take the proper time to work on them. I really feel bad for the guys, and can't help but wonder if they even noticed the problems at the premiere.
Either way, too late now. What's done is done....and it's permanent.
I am seriously disappointed in the way things are turning out.

I'll be the first to tell you, I absolutely love this band.
Them being back, is amazing. The new album, is amazing.
But there are problems with the album that could have been avoided if they had taken more time, and there's damn sure problems on the DVD that should have been avoided, IF THE FREAKING IDIOTS WHO EDITED IT, WOULD QUIT CONCENTRATING ON CHANGING THE CAMERA ANGLE EVERY FEW SECONDS, AND FOCUS ON GETTING THE PERFORMANCE PUT ON VIDEO C-O-R-R-E-C-T-L-Y.

The documentary was decent. It was pretty much the same documentary in the walmart exclusive deal, but with a bunch of added stuff to it.
Overall, I give the performance a 6/10. The band, as a whole, was good.

I give the video quality a 10/10. Very nice picture and audio.
But I give this DVD a 2/10, because putting that kind of BS on a shelf for a fan to buy, is a personal insult to Creed fans.
If you're going to do something, do it well, or don't do it at all.
No need to ruin a "world record breaking DVD" with sloppy editing.

I have better things to spend my money on, like Looney Tunes, which I can honestly say.....has never had an audio/visual synch problem.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #17
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

^lol I agree for the most part. it's really sad...editing stuff like that isn't hard to do & whoever tuned it did a poor job. I'm hoping the Deluxe has some corrections, but who knows.

One Nation. Indivisible.

Last edited by Dark_Knight : 12-14-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

I am scared to buy the DVD this week seeing all these so-so reviews. I want to show it off to the world but with Stapp's vocals and poor production it seems it might be embarrasing..guess Ill just have to watch it by myself...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by XALTERBRIDGEX) I am scared to buy the DVD this week seeing all these so-so reviews. I want to show it off to the world but with Stapp's vocals and poor production it seems it might be embarrasing..guess Ill just have to watch it by myself...
I'm not gonna say it's the worst live DVD I've ever seen, the music is great other then it being 10x too fast but IF you know what pitch is and what you're listening for I can't understand how anyone can say Scott sounds great...he's just consistently flat the whole show & that's not an opinion, that's a fact. I don't say that to bash him, it's just the truth...I want him to improve, and that doesn't mean him sounding like he did 10 years ago because I'm not stupid, but I'm confident he can definitely sound like he did in Delray (if he dedicates himself) which is pretty darn good.
The editing on the other hand is sketchy in spots, Dan did a pretty good job of capturing each member though...but after building up the hype of so many cameras it wasn't anything special. It's very similar to AB's "Live From Amsterdam" DVD.

One Nation. Indivisible.

Last edited by Dark_Knight : 12-14-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

I gotta pose this question because i just watched the videos from delray for the first time:

Is it possible they are staging the crap vocals and that the world tour will be a complete reversal of what we've been seeing?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but i just dont see how his voice could have changed that much over such a short period of time barring some huge (as in physical) accident.

Drinking and smoking can't effect your voice THAT much over not even a one year period, there's just no way.

Scott smoked in the early days of creed all the way through weathered and it really only started wearing on him during the middle of the weathered tour and that was 6 years of smoking.

Unless it's this new way he's learned to sing that is doing it i don't see how this is even physically possible. He was both healthy and having absolutely no pitch problems in a completely unedited video, and now they're having problems getting him on pitch even with autotune and they're playing the entire set tuned down a step.

I just don't understand it. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #21
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Icedmofo) I gotta pose this question because i just watched the videos from delray for the first time:

Is it possible they are staging the crap vocals and that the world tour will be a complete reversal of what we've been seeing?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but i just dont see how his voice could have changed that much over such a short period of time barring some huge (as in physical) accident.

Drinking and smoking can't effect your voice THAT much over not even a one year period, there's just no way.

Scott smoked in the early days of creed all the way through weathered and it really only started wearing on him during the middle of the weathered tour and that was 6 years of smoking.

Unless it's this new way he's learned to sing that is doing it i don't see how this is even physically possible. He was both healthy and having absolutely no pitch problems in a completely unedited video, and now they're having problems getting him on pitch even with autotune and they're playing the entire set tuned down a step.

I just don't understand it. Anyone have any thoughts?
Staging? nah. IMO. the smoking plus non-stop rehearsing, recording, touring has just caught up with him hence the hoarseness, either that or he has another problem we don't know about. He's been using these new vocal techniques with a coach for a few years now so that debunks the "holding back" theory.
I know he was heavily tuned on the AOL Sessions but even on that he sounded at least 80-90% and the Fox & Friends performance wasn't great but the songs were not tuned down a half a step. So something had to go wrong between then and the start of the tour.

One Nation. Indivisible.

Last edited by Dark_Knight : 12-14-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #22
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

I don't get all this hoopla about Scott at Delray is, to me he still sounded like crap. For example hes flat on " I think they shoot cause they want it" in Bullets. To me he sounded the same then as he does today...

Last edited by XALTERBRIDGEX : 12-14-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #23
josha31042
USER INFO »

Stapp was lightyears above his current performances during Delray.
He uses all of his range...most, anyway. He has ALL of his grit.
He sounds great. Not 1999, but great.

It is miles above what he sounds like now....so something is seriously wrong here, and I think the fans, (atleast, the ones who aren't in denial and want to know what's going on), should be entitled to an explanation.

If he were to up and say that his voice is shot and he will never be the same again.....I'd be fine with it, and I'd still listen all day long.

But pretending the problem isn't real, won't make it go away.
This issue needs to be addressed.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #24
rabidgopher04
USER INFO »

This will probably be one of the first Creed releases that I will not buy. #1 It's not a priority, #2 I don't have the cash for it at the moment, #3 I'd probably only watch it once. Also, I've seen the previews, I know Scott's voice is flat. I'd rather listen to the recorded versions than cringe while watching a video. Anyway, just my opinion.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #25
My Sacrifice
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by rabidgopher04) This will probably be one of the first Creed releases that I will not buy. #1 It's not a priority, #2 I don't have the cash for it at the moment, #3 I'd probably only watch it once. Also, I've seen the previews, I know Scott's voice is flat. I'd rather listen to the recorded versions than cringe while watching a video. Anyway, just my opinion.

I agree. Why listen to a DVD that does not sound good when you have the CD?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #26
Creedture
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by josha31042) Stapp was lightyears above his current performances during Delray.
He uses all of his range...most, anyway. He has ALL of his grit.
He sounds great. Not 1999, but great.

It is miles above what he sounds like now....so something is seriously wrong here, and I think the fans, (atleast, the ones who aren't in denial and want to know what's going on), should be entitled to an explanation.

If he were to up and say that his voice is shot and he will never be the same again.....I'd be fine with it, and I'd still listen all day long.

But pretending the problem isn't real, won't make it go away.
This issue needs to be addressed.

One thing worth mentioning is that Delray show was a one-off, special invite show apparently - i'm sure he put more into it and didn't have another show the next night, and the next, and the next (you get the picture). Probably sings at a 5 or 6, to sustain the length of the tour as opposed to a 10 for a one shot.

People say the album is all dubwork, but I don't buy that. you can't auto-tune emotion, the grit, that.."Stapp" feeling. But your albums are your legacy, so you give it your all. We've all moved on from the drunken stupor live shows, im sure we'll move on from the sub-par vocals at the live shows. However, this reunion would be short-lived if this new album sounded anywhere near as bad the live shows, ya know?

Last edited by Creedture : 12-15-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #27
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

I just hope to God someone in the band or management has addressed it or brought it up to Scott, you would think they would say something.
IMO. he needs a new vocal coach, Jaime Vendera or Brett Manning (no offense to the one he has now)

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #28
josha31042
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Creedture) One thing worth mentioning is that Delray show was a one-off, special invite show apparently - i'm sure he put more into it and didn't have another show the next night, and the next, and the next (you get the picture). Probably sings at a 5 or 6, to sustain the length of the tour as opposed to a 10 for a one shot.

People say the album is all dubwork, but I don't buy that. you can't auto-tune emotion, the grit, that.."Stapp" feeling. But your albums are your legacy, so you give it your all. We've all moved on from the drunken stupor live shows, im sure we'll move on from the sub-par vocals at the live shows. However, this reunion would be short-lived if this new album sounded anywhere near as bad the live shows, ya know?

All that is very true.
But Scott isn't even as good on the album as he was in Delray.
Not even with autotune. And most of that album is very produced.
Scott sounds his absolute best on Overcome, and there's heavy work on the vox. Even if he didn't belt it out live anymore...which he doesn't, and you can tell that much is intentional.....he should still be able to stay ON KEY and not be flat most of the time. So there's definately problems there.

Some is probably to do with his voice, some is probably breathing.
Smoking definately didn't help, and to be honest, with the band playing everything 534343495 times faster than it's supposed to be, it's really hard to breathe and hit the correct notes.

The Stapp we're hearing now can't even do what he did while he was overseas, so I REALLY hope that he recovers, and I hope they never record an album this fast again.....especially if his vocals could have been better.

Listen to "Fear" and start listening closely after the second chorus, right after Stapp whispers "change". When he sings "Leave the past behind", his voice actually cracks towards the end....sounded like he needed to clear his throat. (If you can't hear what I'm talking about, look up the WAAF Pool Party footage on youtube......meh.) His voice cracks alot like that if he's having problems. It seems like they were so rushed with the recording, that they didn't even bother taking time to do a retake. Something very un-Howard Benson like.

Last edited by josha31042 : 12-15-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #29
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

Eh, I think Scott's days are numbered. I LOVE the guy but given the fact that he can't sing shit anymore and Full Circle has more or less bombed then I can't really see why Mark & Co would continue with this. Creed will always be in my top 3 favorite bands. But i'd rather nothing then what we have now. Misfits fans will know what i'm talking about.

There isn't much that Scott can do I don't think. Either try or give up. But as i've said before I think if he went back to the retro look his shitty voice would be less prevalent. Also Mark needs to SLOW DOWN. This is Creed, Not your metal band.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #30
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Buried And Gone) Also Mark needs to SLOW DOWN. This is Creed, Not your metal band.
Although I agree... Flip is the time keeper so Mark has nothing to do with slowing down lol for some reason he's become very sloppy over the past couple years, it's very disappointing seeing as he used to be one of the tightest drummers in Rock.

One Nation. Indivisible.