++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #46
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) Its all opinion i must admit, but we aren't talking who invented the guitar, we are talking about technics that were made up him, why do you think Eddie Van Halen was revered as such a badass? He basically made finger tapping popular. Micheal Angelo Batio maybe a badass technically but has he wrote songs that would be consider the best of his generation? No he hasn't, while Henrix has. Hendrix was literally one of the most inventive guitarists of all time, nobody had heard anything like what came out of his amp, it was unique. I don't give a crap if Micheal Angelo Batio can play two guitars at once that souldn't matter, if you want to go there then should i mention that hendrix played with his teeth?

You have to understand the reason why those lists are made to say greatest instead of most influential is plan and simple, they are considering everything that a guitarist is, not just if he can shred like a mad man. (and even if you want to go there Malmsteen and Petrucci own Angelo).

Fair point while Angelo is a bit of a freak he hasen't written a single song the average person would know. Hendrix was very, very influential and deserves his spot alongside SRV and EVH has the greatest guitarists ever IMO. Battio is VERY,VERY good but technical ability is not everything. Saying that I wouldn't have a punk guitarist at the top of the list although Mike Ness from Social Distortion is preddy good.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 02-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #47
tremonti4life04
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to tremonti4life04 Send a message via Yahoo to tremonti4life04
Well, you all have very good opinions, and i dont want to say that your opinions are wrong, but if it has everything to do with how greatly songs were written by the artist, then why exactly isnt tremonti on there? He's definitly written some of the best guitar riffs out there. I believe that Rolling Stone is basing if off of skill, technicaltiy, and all of that stuff. If thats the case, then Hendrix doesnt deserve to be on that list, IMO. Rolling Stone magazine has went down hill music-wise, hell, they had britney spears on the cover! But, my opinion still stands that Batio, Becker, Malmsteen, SRV, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, Dimebagg, Hammit and Eddie Van Halen should have all been at the very top of that list. Some of those other people didnt even deserve to be in that issue, let alone on that list, IMO.

Trust me
Trust me
Trust me
Trust me...Trust me

Last edited by tremonti4life04 : 02-03-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #48
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by tremonti4life04) Well, you all have very good opinions, and i dont want to say that your opinions are wrong, but if it has everything to do with how greatly songs were written by the artist, then why exactly isnt tremonti on there? He's definitly written some of the best guitar riffs out there. I believe that Rolling Stone is basing if off of skill, technicaltiy, and all of that stuff. If thats the case, then Hendrix doesnt deserve to be on that list, IMO. Rolling Stone magazine has went down hill music-wise, hell, they had britney spears on the cover! But, my opinion still stands that Batio, Becker, Malmsteen, SRV, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, Dimebagg, Hammit and Eddie Van Halen should have all been at the very top of that list. Some of those people didnt even deserve to be in that issue, let alone on that list, IMO.

I agree with you 100% that the list was deeply flawed and all of those guys you named (although i don't know becker) should be on there. however i still think that hendrix deserves to be where he is. i also agree tremonti should have being there but there is a lot of creed hate so that would probably explain his abscence.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 02-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #49
tremonti4life04
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to tremonti4life04 Send a message via Yahoo to tremonti4life04
If you like guitar work, check out Jason Beckers version of Paginini's 5th Caprice. Becker was the only guitar player out of the 80's that was considered to be a prodigy, meaning that he could listen to a whole classical music score in one sitting, and replicate it perfectly, note for note, on his guitar. Later tho, he got Lou Gherigs disease and he cant play guitar anymore, and HE OWNS MALMSTEEN AND PETRUCCI.

Trust me
Trust me
Trust me
Trust me...Trust me
Old 02-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #50
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
wow sounds like a great talent.....i'll check him out.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 02-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #51
Soundslave
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) i also agree tremonti should have being there but there is a lot of creed hate so that would probably explain his abscence.

That's probably the reason. I was on some message board the other night, where a thread was 'Who do you consider the worst guitarist ever?". Someone said Tremonti. I have seen many comments about the Rolling Stone list, and whenever someone says that Tremonti should have been on there, another person will reply "Creed sucks. Tremonti shouldn't even be in the top 1000".
Old 02-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #52
titan9
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) i also agree tremonti should have being there but there is a lot of creed hate so that would probably explain his abscence.

I second that. Tremonti is definitely better than a number of guys on that list. I also agree with the Creed hate being the reason he isn't on the list. It's so stupid and I'm so sick of seeing so much Creed hating going on in the media.(well, it's kinda stopped now that they've broken up but I still see some) I guess I should be used to it, though.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #53
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Whatever, you missed the whole purpose of the list, greatness is not defined by technicality alone. Period. Thats all i want to say about that.

Tremonti is badass but i doubt rolling stone would put him on there because he was in creed.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #54
tremonti4life04
USER INFO »
Greatness in guitar playing is about skill, your ability to write something that blows peoples minds...Creed sold 30 million albums for a reason.

Trust me
Trust me
Trust me
Trust me...Trust me
Old 02-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #55
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by tremonti4life04) Greatness in guitar playing is about skill, your ability to write something that blows peoples minds...Creed sold 30 million albums for a reason.

There is a difference, Creed was popular with PEOPLE, not CRITICS. And if you go by that standard Hendrix is one of the most popular guitarist in history, so i guess even according to you he should be number 1, he did blow a lot people's minds away.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #56
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: Greatness in guitar playing is about skill, your ability to write something that blows peoples minds...Creed sold 30 million albums for a reason.

And it wasn't ALL because of Mark. There were other people in the band too...it was a GROUP effort.

I was watching Cross Roads Guitar Festival last nite...have any of you seen it?..If not, for as much as y'all are into guitar, i suggest you watch it.

The musicians that played, ZZ Top and Peter Clapton...just to name two, were way over the top...those and the others that played this festival are legends...Mark has the ability...but he isn't there yet...And don't forget...Guitar Legends don't necessairly play rock...

In sleep he sang to me, in dreams he came
That voice which calls to me and speaks my name
And do I dream again, for now I find
The phantom of the opera is there...inside my mind

Christine/ Phantom Of The Opera

Abondon thought and let the dream decend....
Point of No Return/Phantom Of The Opera

You will forever remain the music
And I…the song you sing
Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #57
tremonti4life04
USER INFO »
u mean Peter Frampton? or Eric Clapton? Ive never seen the movie.

And as far as i know, all of the guitar riffs for creed were written by Mark Tremonti. It's too late to say now, but I bet guitar riffs like MOP, WTLF, and SHWM would have went big no matter what lyrics were put to them.

And I know that not all of the greatest guitarist play rock, i never said that, there are a lot of blues guitar players like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton (now) B.B. King, that are awesome. Where do you think Rock originated? I know my roots...i just don't like hendrix, and thats where this all started lol.

Trust me
Trust me
Trust me
Trust me...Trust me

Last edited by tremonti4life04 : 02-04-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #58
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by tremonti4life04) Well, put it this way, he was named that because he could roll around stage, whacked out on heroine, and still play rythms that sounded like his songs. I found it even more amazing that Rolling Stone said that Jimi Hendrix wasn number 1. Rolling Stone doesnt base their judgments on skill, otherwise they would have known that Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhodes, Yngwie Malmsteen, JASON BECKER, MICHEAL ANGELO BATIO, And Mark Tremonti are 10 times better guitar players/writers than Hendrix was on his best day. It's sad to see an article like that, but, apparently they also like this new "garage rock" type of stuff, so they cant be all that credible. lol

Dude that is ridiculous. First off, yngvie malmsteen can shred like nobody's business but he is so BORING. Second, Hendrix IS the greatest guitar player of all time. Third, Tremonti is awesome, but he is NOT in the same league as Hendrix, SRV, Vai, etc. I love him, but he is simply not there yet.

Finally, on topic, I LOVE that article... Stapp couldn't even play the guitar with it strung all open.... ROFL!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #59
tremonti4life04
USER INFO »
I can make my guitar squeal like a pig all day, doesnt mean im great. He was INVENTIVE, not great, there is a HUGE difference.

Trust me
Trust me
Trust me
Trust me...Trust me
Old 02-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #60
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by tremonti4life04) I can make my guitar squeal like a pig all day, doesnt mean im great. He was INVENTIVE, not great, there is a HUGE difference.

What the HECK? Anyone can sit in a shed practice eight hours a day and be able to shred. That is not where greatness lies.

Creativity and originality and making it all work is what makes a guitarist great, and that's what Hendrix is. (Not to mention he had the shredding down pretty good as well!)

Quote: Greatness in guitar playing is about skill, your ability to write something that blows peoples minds...Creed sold 30 million albums for a reason.

That is ridiculous. I don't care if you sell a billion albums, that doesn't make you great. Is eminem now a great musician because he sold 15 million albums?! NO! Don't even bring album sales up. That's childish.

Creed didn't blow ANYONE'S minds. For all their coolness they weren't a super original change the face of music band. What Tremonti is doing ahs been done before. He does it very well but he isn't super creative/innovative, and I say that as a HUGE Tremo fan.

They sold 30 million albums because they pandered to the masses with radio friendly chord progressions. Don't mean to diss Creed here but that's true. "Bullets" was basically the only single that didn't do very well, because it wasn't a simple radio friendly song--despite the fact that it was probably one of, if not THE best riff Tremonti wrote with Creed.

Album sales mean NOTHING. We live in a world where the dumber and simpelr the music is, the more it sells.

Last edited by uncertaindrumer : 02-09-2005 at 06:34 PM.