++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #61
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: What's everyone's opionion on 'Rain'?

Quote: (Originally Posted by Agent D) lol wow. No, they're not perfect to me at all. I'm just saying you dislike one of twelve songs that will be on the album. That's not too bad. I don't know how you felt about Overcome but there's ten other songs on the album that could very well be really heavy and to your liking.

I loved Overcome!, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the cd.
I'm just very uncomfortable with shooting all critisizm down.
I liked Rain but I didn't love it.

-Homer Simpson

Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #62
Chris98GT
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dark_Knight) Rain is amazing, end of story...I've heard more positive about the song then negative so far.
Creed could fart into a mic for 3 minutes and you'd call it amazing.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #63
Agent D
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by eusebioCBR) I loved Overcome!, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the cd.
I'm just very uncomfortable with shooting all critisizm down.
I liked Rain but I didn't love it.

Then it's all good then. I noticed other people generalizing, good and bad, on the whole album based on only one single, which is annoying.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #64
nagpo
USER INFO »

This will be a long read. Based off the two new songs I've heard off their new album, Overcome and Rain: This is all I can say about it under the crazy assumption that the rest of the CD will sound similar.

Lyrically: The lyrics for the chorus' are good in both songs. Other than that, the rest of the lyrics seem to be their for filler. They are not as emotionally driven and relevant to the main theme of the song as previous songs were. For example:

From MOP:
I cry out to God
Seeking only his decision
Gabriel stands and confirms
I've created my own prison

From Who's got my back:
There’s still time
All that has been devastated
Can be recreated
Realize
We pick up the broken pieces
Of our lives
Giving ourselves to each other…
ourselves to each other
To rest our head on

From WAWO:
Well I don't know if I'm ready
To be the man I have to be
I'll take a breath, take her by my side
We stand in awe, we've created life
With arms wide open

Now, notice how those are not from any chorus. Just powerful lyrics leading to a great chorus. Compare those to the new songs

Overcome:
Don't cry victim to me
Everything we are and used to be
Is buried and gone
Now it's my turn to speak
It's my turn to expose and release what's been killing me
I'll be dammed fighting you, it's impossible, impossible
Say goodbye, with no sympathy!

These aren't terrible, but compared to previous creed songs they are lightweight.

Rain:
Can you help me out, can you lend me a hand?
It's safe to say that I'm stuck again
Trapped between this life and the light
I just can't figure out, how to make it right...

These lyrics are so basic and generic a middle schooler could have written these.

Another 'issue' I have with these two new songs is that , they need to repeat the chorus atleast 5 or 6 six times before the song is over. Why? That gets really old very fast. Yeah, I know Rain is a very catchy tune. But when I'm listening to the chorus for the fourth time I can't help but wonder why and since the song has very little complexity to it, I'll just listen to another song. The new songs arent really about anything, mostly just emotions. "Overcome": I fee tough. "Rain": I'm sad now but tomorrow will be better.

Musically: I'd first like to point out that the new songs have similar song structure. I dont wan't to get into it right now because it will make this post even bigger, but if you analyze the two songs they are set up the same.
The sound, Creed used to be known for their unique sound, at least in my eyes they were. And at that same time they were able so sell million w/o sounding like everyone else. These new songs...sound uncreed like. They are very generic, poppy and mainstream. It sounds like a lot of stuff we've heard before on the radio. I doubt it's the new producer, Howard Benson that is making these songs sound different. If it were true, he would have had to of written the whole song. Feels like I'm listening to an american idol singer with his debut album out rather than a band that has sold 25 mil. in the states alone.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:23 AM   #65
truthbetold
USER INFO »

I think peoples justification of critic is premature. The band is trying to reestablish themselves. Its been a long time since they've released anything. Overcome was a very good choice for a first single. It lets people know there heavier but have some more music ability and have grown. Rain is the people grabber, slow, but still has that deepness to it that everyone loves. Nobody has sold out, they have their singles and im sure their record will have them knock down rock songs that kick your ass when you hear them.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 AM   #66
truthbetold
USER INFO »

oh and another thing, just listen to rain. It may not be as epic as other creed songs but its meaning is still there. the lyrics are deep enough and its a emotional song, very heart wrenching depending where your at in your life, just like all creed songs.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #67
rabidgopher04
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by nagpo) Another 'issue' I have with these two new songs is that , they need to repeat the chorus atleast 5 or 6 six times before the song is over. Why? That gets really old very fast.

Have you ever listened to another Creed before song in your life? They do that in almost every song. It's pretty standard for Stapp & Co.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #68
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

I brought this up earlier, but can you be more specific as to what you mean by structure?

If you are referring to the set up of verses, choruses, and bridge, then it's a moot point because pretty much every song ever written is set up in the same standard song structure.

If you are referring to something more specific i apologize, but almost every creed song and frankly every other song written is set up Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, (Maybe a guitar solo), Chorus, Chorus again, Outtro.

The only real differentiation is that is sometimes the song will start with the chorus or have a musical break down after the bridge (What If).
Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #69
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chris98GT) Creed could fart into a mic for 3 minutes and you'd call it amazing.
ROFLMAO.

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #70
King Oropher
USER INFO »

Great Post Nagpo. I played Rain for my friend the other day and he said it was too Poppy lol and wasn't that keen on it but now he can't stop listening to it, he said he can't get the chorus out of his head.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #71
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

I really liked Rain. I'm not the biggest fan of Stapps voice on these songs though. His highs arent as high and his lows arent as low. But they're still very good songs and i can't wait for the broadcast tonight!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #72
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by King Oropher) Great Post Nagpo. I played Rain for my friend the other day and he said it was too Poppy lol and wasn't that keen on it but now he can't stop listening to it, he said he can't get the chorus out of his head.
Thank you. I know how your friend feels, it's still stuck in my head. I just finished singing it with my little sister I'll still buy the album. I'm still hoping it will be atleast as good as Weathered.

This is a response to Icedmofo,

That was what I was talking about. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, (Maybe a guitar solo), Chorus, Chorus again, Outtro. That's the problem. That's what every other band is doing and sounding like nowadays. I was hoping they'd be a bit more creative, but then again I dont expect them to reinvent the process either. I don't think it's a 'moot' point, I think it's a very valid one infact. If every band uses the same types of song structure where is the creativity? Eventually people are going to run out of original ideas for this type of song. But like I said, expecting Creed to change things up and set a new musical standard for songs IS asking too much. It's more like wishful thinking on my part.

To rabidgopher04,
I've been listening to creed for ten years now. Ever since I was nine. I'm 19 now(don't judge me on my age, please). The only creed song that repeated it's chorus to the point of annoyance is Inside Us All and Weathered, imo.

But like I said before, I'm still a Creed fan and I do plan on buying Full Circle.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #73
TheGreatDivide
USER INFO »

I love Rain, haven't heard it on the radio yet here in detroit. Anyways its a great song very uplifiting & I'm pretty sure Creed knows what they're doing
I swear I still believe though I don't know - Words Darker Then Their Wings
Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #74
Robin101
USER INFO »

I loved 'Rain' the first time I heard it and, countless times since, am still enjoying it.

Not every song they produce has to be an epic with a cryptic message.

'Rain' - simple title, simple lyrics, simple melody. A simple formula that resulted in a great song.

I'm a huge fan of My Own Prison, Human Clay and Weathered, but they're not albums that you can simply play in the background. Most of the music is emotionally heavy and very serious.

Human Clay is a truly great album and my personal favourite - just about every song had the potential to be a hit and Faceless Man is a masterpiece, but it's not an album you can simply pop in, enjoy and sing along to. Songs like Say I, Wrong Way and Wash Away Those Years hardly put you in a positive, happy frame of mind.

Their albums are incredibly influential and uplifting. You can listen to their music and understand where they're coming from, but you have to be in a certain emotional state to really appreciate it, in my opinion.

That's what I've enjoyed about 'Overcome' and 'Rain'. Not too serious, the lyrics are still as solid as ever and I've found myself singing along to both of them.

I find it funny that those who don't care much for 'Rain' still can't get the song out of their head.

Mission accomplished, right?

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #75
Tremontiriffs77
USER INFO »

-Heres my take on this song:
I am a huge fan of Creeds but prefer their heavier stuff..After a first listen I was like god here we go another Creed mainstream song to get our balls broken about just when we think they went heavier. However after giving it a few more listens I have to say that I really like it...I did not want another Weathered type top 40 album but this song is so different from any of those #1's ex: My sacrifice/One last breath...This song doesnt have that lovey dovey undertone...It just has a pleasant groove without being to heavy...Which really gets me as to why I like it so much...Creed has many types of fans...Those of us who prefer their heavier stuff were pleased with overcome..This is just a good song created for the other demographic of Creed fan...I dont think the boys have sold out..They are writing what they are feling its a feel good song without without being wussy..All I can say is I will be buying Full Circle because its gonna be a killer rock album for ALL Creed fans..Peace!!

Last edited by Tremontiriffs77 : 09-26-2009 at 09:45 AM.