++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #31
crest tattoo
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: "Creed Live" DVD Review

Creed will always be my #1-forever, but I had to close my eyes and scrunch my face when I listened to this. This was due in part to being hard to hear but also being afraid for new fans to hear this too Not up to par, I am so sad to say.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #32
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dark_Knight) Although I agree... Flip is the time keeper so Mark has nothing to do with slowing down lol for some reason he's become very sloppy over the past couple years, it's very disappointing seeing as he used to be one of the tightest drummers in Rock.

Oh yeah, the drummer is the time keeper. But Mark is the man in charge, he is the one that needs to bring it up. I should have clarified that. But the thing that I meant was I think Mark likes it this way.

In Alter Bridge I really like Flip's drumming but in Creed it is lackluster. It really is the same thing over and over again for him.

I really hope Creed can get amazing again. Mark, if you read this. BRING OUR THOUGHTS UP!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #33
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

If Mark likes it 20x too fast then I definitely have to question him as a musician because it's seriously getting ridiculous lol imo. it's the same with Alter Bridge, sure you can speed things up somewhat live but not to the point where it destroys the song and loses the feeling & groove.

If you remember they played everything normal speed perfectly on AOL and Fox & Friends, then as the tour started it went downhill from there. The same with every AB tour, they start playing how it was supposed to be played like the records then several shows later it became faster & faster every night.

It's gone from a little nitpick of mine to something way beyond now because it's my biggest pet peeve as a musician, if you can't stay in the pocket then you need to stop everything & practice your butt off until it's super tight.

One Nation. Indivisible.

Last edited by Dark_Knight : 12-17-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #34
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

Weren't the aol sessions edited in the studio though?

I totally agree though, listening to them playing any fast songs like Bullets and What If live is brutal.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #35
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Yeah the vocals were tuned but they can't control how fast or slow a band plays lol

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #36
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

In the mixing/mastering process they can slow it down can't they?
In WAWO Mark seems to be playing really fast I noticed today.

Did anybody else not notice the autotuning then once people mentioned it they can't help but notice it? That's what happened for me. Sucks.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #37
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dark_Knight) If Mark likes it 20x too fast then I definitely have to question him as a musician because it's seriously getting ridiculous lol imo. it's the same with Alter Bridge, sure you can speed things up somewhat live but not to the point where it destroys the song and loses the feeling & groove.

If you remember they played everything normal speed perfectly on AOL and Fox & Friends, then as the tour started it went downhill from there. The same with every AB tour, they start playing how it was supposed to be played like the records then several shows later it became faster & faster every night.

It's gone from a little nitpick of mine to something way beyond now because it's my biggest pet peeve as a musician, if you can't stay in the pocket then you need to stop everything & practice your butt off until it's super tight.

I think its totally different when your infront of thousands of people, the guys probably have a huge bolt of adrenaline going through thier system. Look at other bands when they play live, i.e. Metallica. They play way to fast and sloppy. But its how they do their shows everynight and people still eat it up. I just ordered the DVD from amazon so I will post my LATE review soon, both the Best Buys by my house didnt have any copies!!!

Last edited by XALTERBRIDGEX : 12-18-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #38
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by XALTERBRIDGEX) I think its totally different when your infront of thousands of people, the guys probably have a huge bolt of adrenaline going through thier system. Look at other bands when they play live, i.e. Metallica. They play way to fast and sloppy. But its how they do their shows everynight and people still eat it up. I just ordered the DVD from amazon so I will post my LATE review soon, both the Best Buys by my house didnt have any copies!!!

Normally i'd agree here, but did you ever watch the VH1 live premier of creed's weathered tour?

If ever there was a time for them to get a bolt of adrenaline and speed the hell up, it would be the tour opener for songs they'd never played live before when they were at the pinnacle of their popularity with so many people screaming so loud.

Those songs were rhythmically almost perfect. They don't seem to start speeding up until a time that they should actually be getting used to playing in front of so many people.

It's also not always Flip, sometimes Mark starts the songs really fast as well.

I have to say there are some songs that are just incredible that they can even play them as fast as they do (there's a particular live version of One Day Remains that comes to mind that just didn't seem like it should be possible to any human), but some of the songs that really are more of a heavy pound out in the pocket at a slower speed get trashed by the increase in tempo, even if they play it dead on.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #39
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

^Exactly, the whole adrenaline thing is ridiculous because the guys have been playing live shows since 95 or so and played to some of the biggest crowds ever. They used to be one of the tightest bands in Rock, you can watch/listen to any live show they've done before they split & it was almost flawless timing wise.
& for the record comparing them to Metallica is funny lol I like them but Lars Ulrich might be the sloppiest drummer on the planet.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #40
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

ok guys I see your points but...We dont know exactly why the guys aren't as tight or flawless Live as it used to be or whats going through thier heads, but when you sit down and watch it on a DVD or TV you can nit pick whats wrong. You guys know when your see them Live the experience and energy is totally different, alteast for me it was...
Old 12-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #41
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

The Expirence may be different for you, but not fo the guys. Mark isn't like "holy shit! That's Mark tremonti, thats Scott Stapp right there!" it's just another day to them and if you look at the videos Mark could not be less into it same with Brian and Flip. But that may explain some of Stapp's issues such as him being more concernd with looking good and moving a lot as opposed to staying on key and on time with the rest of the band.

Last edited by Buried And Gone : 12-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #42
nagpo
USER INFO »

I thought it was okay. Stapp was disappointing of course. During the second song he forgot some lyrics and had to go back and read them. He didint sound as good as he used to, but of course we all know why. Obvious auto-tune was used.

The best performance was A thousand faces, but unfortunately stapp was a little off on that one to, his timing was a bit off.

What I did not like was how they largely played only songs from previous records. I found myself bored watching/hearing songs I've been listening to for over ten years now. This tour was widely mislabeled as the "Full Circle Tour". It was merely the Reunion tour. My enjoyment would have benefited if they had played more full circle songs. I would have loved to have heard Time live.

Another annoyance was Stapps insistence on "Thanking our troops!". He must have said that 5 times. (on a side note, stapp doesnt seem like a guy i'd get a along with. super christian and super pro-military. And for some reason, in almost every interview he feels the need to thank christ. c'mon man.)

What I did like was the addition of Eric Friedman. Having a back up guitarist makes a big difference. But what saved this DVD from being a total clunker for me was the fans reactions and feedback thay they had to the music. They just made me smile; singing along and all. Made me feel like I wasn't the only Creed nut out there.

Was it worth the 11 or so dollars? somewhat. The only real extra was a 'documentary'(hardly a documentary) of the tour. It started off good, then got really good with the parts about the kids and Eric but then got boring really fast with the technician interviews. Also the director is bat shit crazy. 20 redbulls a day? lol The rest of the extras was the lame Overcome music video and a promo for the upcoming Box set version of this DVD, which I will most likely not be getting.

The performances themselves were fair.

I'm hoping Live in Amsterdam is better.

Last edited by nagpo : 12-27-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #43
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by nagpo) The best performance was A thousand faces, but unfortunately stapp was a little off on that one to, his timing was a bit off.
That was not Stapp's fault... for some idiotic reason whoever edited it decided to shift his vocal off time. (also in OLB) If you want to check out the unedited version of the performance check out my channel & you'll see what I mean.

Also other then the production of the Creed DVD I think LAF is much better performance wise BUT the guys still have a lot of work to do on the tempo side of things, Flip seriously needs to slow down to not only help Myles & Scott out but to bring back the emotion to some of these songs because playing them faster only creates sloppy and loose performances which doesn't sit well with me because I know they're better then that.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #44
nagpo
USER INFO »

Just finished Live From Amsterdam. 10X better than the Creed performance. Vocals were tight. Songs were well played. Myles is a better frontman for sure, he really gets the crowd into it. And most importantly, the band wasn't bored. The guys were having fun.

Anybody wan't my Creed Live DVD? I don't need it anymore.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #45
lmaiello
USER INFO »

Sure I'll take it from ya. I'll send you a few bux for shipping.
Is that cool?
John 3:16