++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 09-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Scorpion King
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Why didn't Weathered sell as much as Human Clay?

I'm just curious as to what you think as to why Weathered didn't sell quite as much as Human Clay. I personally think that it was because Human Clay didn't have quite the punch that My Own Prison did, and that all of the controversy surrounding Creed also hurt things.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Re: Why didn't Weathered sell as much as Human Clay?

I think you mean Weathered, right? Human Clay was their biggest selling album, I believe. Anyway, I think it was way more poppy than rock, at least it was to me. It didn't have staying power with me. I still love HC and MOP and listen to them, but I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Weathered. Has to be a good four years ago. Still, I think it sold 8 million copies, which I think was more than MOP. That's a lot considering the times.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Scorpion King
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I think you mean Weathered, right? Human Clay was their biggest selling album, I believe. Anyway, I think it was way more poppy than rock, at least it was to me. It didn't have staying power with me. I still love HC and MOP and listen to them, but I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Weathered. Has to be a good four years ago. Still, I think it sold 8 million copies, which I think was more than MOP. That's a lot considering the times.

Yes, Human Clay was the one that sold the most. What I was trying to say that I think that it was Human Clay that was the poppiest, and thus some people might have become disillusioned with Creed because of it. It's of course still an awesome album. I actually think that Weathered is their strongest album of all, with the best diversity in the songs.

And yeah, selling 8 million copies is pretty impressive, considering downloading and such.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Hmmm, that may be true about HC. I still find Weathered poppier, though. I don't know why, for me it just had that sort of vibe. It still has some good songs on it, though.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
RMadd
USER INFO »

I think it was b/c Weathered's hits weren't as huge as Higher and WAWO. Say what you will about how popular My Sacrifice & One Last Breath were, but Higher received a ton of airplay both on modern rock & more general (modern) stations. WAWO, meanwhile, even got played on some softer-rocking stations, so you have a bunch of older women that liked one song and went out & bought the album solely b/c they loved that one song. It's not that 8 million is a small number, it's just that, to be certified Diamond, an album usually has to have a lot of cross-over appeal. And HC had just that. MOP was quite a bit darker, and largely played on modern rock stations. And while songs from Weathered, as with those from HC, were played all over, it's just that those on HC performed better against the competition than did those songs from Weathered.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
revisfoot
USER INFO »

Maybe because people liked Human Clay more than they liked Weathered? Just an opinion...
Old 09-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Finaldecision
USER INFO »

Human Clay was more successful than Weathered. I think it was indeed the better album; but I don't believe that this was the main reason: I think the main reason was, because the singles of Human Clay were more bigger than those of Weathered, at least WAWO, which was even #1 at the Billboard charts.
Human Clay was the better album to me, as I already said. I think Weathered is an awesome album nevertheless. It may sound a bit more poppy, but it has some genious Creed songs, My Sacrifice and Who's Got My Back for example, and includes the hardest (Bullets) as well as the softest (Lullaby) Creed song ever. The lyrics are strong and with the lyrics of One Last Breath and Weathered it's got two of the best of Creed overall I think.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
Scorpion King
USER INFO »

The theory about the singles is interesting, although I'm not so sure about it. Yes, Human Clay was the one that had the number one song on the Billboard, but both HC and Weathered had two singles that were in the top ten. At least where I lived, all four of them seemed to get more or less equal airplay.

I think that one thing that might have jacked up sales for Weathered is if Hide had been a single instead of Don't Stop Dancing. I think that that song had the potential to be another Billboard hit.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

I agree with you on Hide. Don't Stop Dancing is not one of my favorite songs, but I do love Hide. Both are fairly poppy, but for some reason, DSD did not resonate with me.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
J.T.
USER INFO »

Actually I like Don't Stop Dancing better than Hide, though both are good songs. And Human Clay was just legendary, so everyone had to have a copy, that's probably why.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
Scorpion King
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by J.T.) Actually I like Don't Stop Dancing better than Hide, though both are good songs. And Human Clay was just legendary, so everyone had to have a copy, that's probably why.

I love Don't Stop Dancing as well. It's a really beautiful song. I just feel that it would have had a greater impact in terms of radio play.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve

Creed was more popular during the HC album year.... by that I mean there was just more hype around for Creed which probably led to more album sales. By the time Weathered was out, Creed was pretty much "hated" by the mainstream... if you know what I mean... just my opinion...

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 09-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #13
J.T.
USER INFO »

I don't really think they were hated by the mainstream, seeing as how they sold six million copies of Weathered in the U.S. alone. I think it was just a popularity dip, not a huge one, but still. 6 times platinum is an incredible achievement these days.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #14
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Well, within the mainstream industry and media, they were derided regularly, mostly because of Stapp.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
J.T.
USER INFO »

Well that didn't stop 6 million people from buying it. The media can go burn.