++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 02-29-2004, 06:28 AM   #46
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by extreme_LITHIUM) Listen... We have system bolaget and it's the only shop that is allowed to sell alchol in Sweden, except bars. And no one is ever allowed to sell drugs. If the cops see you with drugs you go in jail. And if you take drugs is just the same. We're doing our best. And you are not. When I was in the Netherlands people were smoking EVERYWHERE in EVERY age. (Not joints, but they were smoking). Sweden is so much better on this. Everybody knows that it's no good to smoke or drink. So why allow it?

Ok I have to agree with you that it's gettin' a little out of hand over here! You're right 'bout that smoke(cigarettes/shag) 'n drink thing... I actually quit smoking almost 7 months ago... and feelin' a whole lot better than I did before!

When there was a little more sunlight in Sweden I would definately consider to move over there! No without kidding... your country seems so much healthier in many ways than the Netherlands! You've got an awesome greenlife/nature as well! I would love to raise my kids there.

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God
Old 02-29-2004, 06:33 AM   #47
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by lollies) I'm from Sydney, Australia. Australia is quite a large country but with only 20 million people. Sydney is the largest city and probably the most well known with 4 million people. I love living in Sydney because it's very much an outdoor city, because of the Harbour and the beaches, and it's surrounded by national parks. Its also very mulitcultural and for the most part safe, though crime is defineltly on the rise. It's also extremely expensive and traffic can be a nightmare but it's liveable. I would probably say that Australia is a lot like America in many ways, though there are a few differences as well.

http://www.sydneyreservations.com/ga...icture_01.html

Wow! We live here in a very very tiiiiiiiiiny country(Netherlands) with almost 16 million people!!!!!! Can you imagine that lollies????

Great picks of Sydney btw!

Souls...
Go...
Sow...
Grow...

Old 02-29-2004, 06:48 AM   #48
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) Lithium, I used to have a friend that had moved to the U.S.A. from Sweden. She told me that when a couple has a child in Sweden, the father also receives maternity leave (time off after the baby is born) to help at home. Is this still true? If it is, perhaps your society is more considerate of family life than ours. I'm not even sure that some men in our country would do that, although, I'm sure that my husband would have if given the chance.

Yes, it is. A mother can get 1 and a half year off to take care of her baby and still be payed money. I don't know if a father can do the same thing, but I think a father can take max 1 year off to take care of his baby and still be payed.

We have one of the highest taxes in the world, but we can make this and many other things possible.

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 02-29-2004, 06:50 AM   #49
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by WeatheredWoman) Wow! We live here in a very very tiiiiiiiiiny country(Netherlands) with almost 16 million people!!!!!! Can you imagine that lollies????

Great picks of Sydney btw!

Sweden is a pretty big country, we're not even 9,000,000 yet.

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 02-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #50
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by extreme_LITHIUM) A mother can get 1 and a half year off to take care of her baby and still be payed money.

Wow!! That's so great! Over here it's just about 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after the "delivery" (strange word)... much too short!!

Quote: (Originally Posted by extreme_LITHIUM) Sweden is a pretty big country, we're not even 9,000,000 yet.

I want to move out of this country!!!!!!!!!

Souls...
Go...
Sow...
Grow...

Old 02-29-2004, 09:06 AM   #51
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
That's somewhat similar to how it is here, Stefanie. Here the mother usually goes out of work about a month before the baby's due date and then is off another 8 weeks after the baby comes. Normally we get 3 months maternity leave, then we may put in for an additional 3 months family leave (unpaid). A father may also put in for family leave, but that is NOT paid.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 02-29-2004, 09:24 AM   #52
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by TeriB19) ...then we may put in for an additional 3 months family leave (unpaid).

Unpaid?? Oh Teri that sucks big time doesn't it? I think it's not a fair rule... I think that the swedish people do understand more how enormous important this mother and child bonding is! And besides that... Having a baby has such an impact on your life, body, relationship, social life... I think it's wise to have the opportunity to get settled with all this in about a year and a half! Paid!!! (When you have decided to go to work again after having a beautiful child of your own!)

Quote: (Originally Posted by TeriB19) A father may also put in for family leave, but that is NOT paid.

Same over here! Though that's quite new here (about 6 years)

Souls...
Go...
Sow...
Grow...

Old 02-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #53
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Thats not nationwide though, that all depends on your state.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #54
JenRN
USER INFO »
Well I currently live in Bowling Green Virginia. It is a small town (kind of Mayberry like) outside of Richmond and Fredericksburg. I am an hour from DC, and Williamsburg. I work in Fredericksburg, very historical town all civil war buffs know this town. I love Virginia, I have the mountains, ocean and Chesapeake Bay right at my finger tips. I love my little quaint town, it is quiet and peaceful but I can get to the city in no time flat. I live in a house that is registered on the historical society for Virginia. I plan to stay here for a long wile. I am originally from Erie, Pa which is where my roots are. It is right on Lake Erie. I grew up snow skiing, skating, sled riding and all the great winter sports that go along with living on a Great Lake. I miss many things about Erie especially my family, but Virgiania call to me. I was born in Virginia in a naval hospital in Norfolk, I guess that may have something to do with it.

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 02-29-2004, 12:17 PM   #55
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
small town folk, i couldnt live in a small rural town. i love the big city atmosphere! unless its a druglord house, then i want to be by the coast
Old 02-29-2004, 03:55 PM   #56
JenRN
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mulletman) small town folk, i couldnt live in a small rural town. i love the big city atmosphere! unless its a druglord house, then i want to be by the coast
I LOVE my small town. I am out of the rush and crime but yet close enough to the city when I want to go there. I like to look up a the sky at night and see bright stars, not smog. I can leave my windows open and hear crickets and frogs, not busy cars and sirens and traffic. If you remember the movie "Doc Hollywood" with Michael J Fox. That town reminds me alot of mine and I would not have it any other way

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 02-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #57
whitebird
USER INFO »
I think all these posts are great. Finding out how our cultures and cities are different is really interesting to me. If you post and I don't respond, I'm sorry.

I am not able to post much at this time, so please don't think I am slighting you in any way. The temperatures here in Minnesota are warming, the snow is melting, and we have suddenly have a lake in the lower level of our home. I'm checking back to read the posts, thank you. Wish me luck I may have to swim for my life.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #58
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yikes, whitebird, I hope it doesn't do any damage and that you are safe!
Old 02-29-2004, 06:40 PM   #59
whitebird
USER INFO »
Thanks Dogstar, we are fine. My husband is stressing out a bit, he has taken on the largest portion of the job. I've been checking the Yellow Pages, (phone listings) and am calling for professional help tomarrow.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:41 PM   #60
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Good luck with that. I hope it all comes out OK .