++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #151
Stappishot
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
lol
Old 12-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #152
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Worship the music, not the musician.

I'm NOT saying Stapp necessarily is one but do you honestly expect me to support a band, group, singer, movie, director or ANYTHING that I consider immoral or idiotic? What kind of message is that sending?

Worship the music not the musician is an easy way to justify liking anyone, and is also a reason so many rock stars, actors etc. GET to be big idiots. We let them.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #153
sina2b
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) I'm NOT saying Stapp necessarily is one but do you honestly expect me to support a band, group, singer, movie, director or ANYTHING that I consider immoral or idiotic? What kind of message is that sending?

Worship the music not the musician is an easy way to justify liking anyone, and is also a reason so many rock stars, actors etc. GET to be big idiots. We let them.

amen
Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #154
Chase
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) I'm NOT saying Stapp necessarily is one but do you honestly expect me to support a band, group, singer, movie, director or ANYTHING that I consider immoral or idiotic? What kind of message is that sending?

You're a Led Zeppelin fan right? By using your logic, you don't find drug use to be immoral.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #155
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

It's sending the message to stop this friggin celebrity-worshiping obsession people have with the private lives of those making the music. Fans are obsessed with knowing every little friggin detail of an artist's life. Why should that matter? They make the music, you buy the music. They put on a concert, you attend the concert. It should end there. If people weren't such fucking ass-wiping sycophantic greedy wanabes, maybe the artists would feel like they could concentrate on what they do best instead of trying to be perfect in the eyes of the idiots who put them on a pedestal. They are not perfect people and neither is anyone else. There are plenty of "regular joes" who engage in the same activities purportedly engaged in by Stapp and 311. I know plenty of people who have substance abuse problems, but that doesn't make them bad people. It makes them humans who happen to have a substance abuse problem. I'm not going to judge a person based on his imperfections, the same imperfections that some of those not in the public eye have. And before you go on about, they chose to be in the public eye, blah, blah, blah, it still doesn't mean they deserve the unfair higher standards placed upon them by their supposed fans. I'm not justifying the man's behavior, but he's not out there selling drugs to people or murdering or stealing, or engaging in behavior I would consider immoral. I know people who have done far worse things to others and have never had to pay for that behavior.

Quote: Worship the music not the musician is an easy way to justify liking anyone, and is also a reason so many rock stars, actors etc. GET to be big idiots. We let them.
We do let them, by focusing on everything BUT the music and putting them on an undeserved pedestal. Enjoy the music and get off your high moral horse.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #156
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) You're a Led Zeppelin fan right? By using your logic, you don't find drug use to be immoral.
Thank you, I was just about to edit my post to include that.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #157
sina2b
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) It's sending the message to stop this friggin celebrity-worshiping obsession people have with the private lives of those making the music. Fans are obsessed with knowing every little friggin detail of an artist's life. Why should that matter? They make the music, you buy the music. They put on a concert, you attend the concert. It should end there. If people weren't such fucking ass-wiping sycophantic greedy wanabes, maybe the artists would feel like they could concentrate on what they do best instead of trying to be perfect in the eyes of the idiots who put them on a pedestal. They are not perfect people and neither is anyone else. There are plenty of "regular joes" who engage in the same activities purportedly engaged in by Stapp and 311. I know plenty of people who have substance abuse problems, but that doesn't make them bad people. It makes them humans who happen to have a substance abuse problem. I'm not going to judge a person based on his imperfections, the same imperfections that some of those not in the public eye have. And before you go on about, they chose to be in the public eye, blah, blah, blah, it still doesn't mean they deserve the unfair higher standards placed upon them by their supposed fans. I'm not justifying the man's behavior, but he's not out there selling drugs to people or murdering or stealing, or engaging in behavior I would consider immoral. I know people who have done far worse things to others and have never had to pay for that behavior.

We do let them, by focusing on everything BUT the music and putting them on an undeserved pedestal. Enjoy the music and get off your high moral horse.

thats obsession is envolved in being a celebrity, and thats why they are celebrities and famous because they get alot of freakin attention and most love that attention at least prior to getting it. So if they want to live a normal life, hate people judging them and want to be out of the spot light thats a decision they make so either way they have to live up to the consequences. Note that there are many musicians that are not celebrities or at least they keep themselves out of the spot light.

And no one is blaming anyone for substance usage, if you know a few that have substance issues i bet that most of them use substances however that does not give them the right to do whatever the hell they feel like doing and being drunk in public and abusing others is something that a normal person would get his ass kicked for, now consider being a celebrity it amplifies the issue several times and thats quite normal too.

We didnt beg scott to become a celebrity to feel sorry for him now, im not even sure why people do feel sorry for him as from my perspective hes been luckier than most of us in life but just keeps on fucking up every oppertunity he gets.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #158
Chase
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Thank you, I was just about to edit my post to include that.

And thank you for your insightful posts. It's just crazy listening to people criticize Stapp for his personal life... while there are even BIGGER rockstars (whom they admire) that have engaged in all sorts of irresponsible behavior. The main point is that some of the greatest musicians of all time have had their fair share of problems and addictions (and have done all sorts of immoral things). There's a distinctive line drawn between their personal lives and their music.

It's fine to disagree with Stapp's actions. Most of us here do. However, a lot of what you guys are doing is 1. Playing off the media perception as Scott being a Bible thumper (which he isn't) and 2. Twisting around Christianity by essentially saying that if Stapp was a Christian, he wouldn't indulge in sinful behavior.

Well... guess what? Stapp is human... just like everyone else. He has some negative parts to his PERSONALITY. But for you guys to call his behavior "immoral" and then in return listen to musicians who were into illegal drug use and would worship pagan gods... is completely hypocritical.

Last edited by Chase : 12-05-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #159
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) You're a Led Zeppelin fan right? By using your logic, you don't find drug use to be immoral.

First off, I have never bought a Led Zeppelin CD, and second...

Hmmm. You're right. lol
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #160
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Although I would add something else if I had the time...
Old 12-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #161
sina2b
USER INFO »
I dont think anyone should care if any musician is doing drugs or not, most of them are and thats just the lifestyle they have, they have a career that revolves around, drugs, partying and getting more and more creative with whatever the hell they can get their hands on. However as Ive said this before, doing drugs or alchohol or any other thing in that nature does not give anyone the right to do whatever the hell they want. If you cant handle it Don't do it.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #162
Chase
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) First off, I have never bought a Led Zeppelin CD, and second...

Hmmm. You're right. lol

You have never bought a Led Zeppelin CD? Or a Hendrix? Or Rolling Stones, Or The Doors, or The Beatles... or any other rock act from the 1960s-1970s?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #163
Chase
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by sina2b) I dont think anyone should care if any musician is doing drugs or not, most of them are and thats just the lifestyle they have, they have a career that revolves around, drugs, partying and getting more and more creative with whatever the hell they can get their hands on. However as Ive said this before, doing drugs or alchohol or any other thing in that nature does not give anyone the right to do whatever the hell they want. If you cant handle it Don't do it.

Most of them can't handle it... that's why a lot of them die young. I mean... substance abuse killed (in one way or another) Cobain, Layne Staley, Jeff Buckley, Hendrix, Jim Morrison... and countless others. So far, it looks like Stapp has handled drugs, booze, and partying relatively well compared to some of those guys.

Nothing gives "anyone the right the right to do whatever the hell they want," but there have been musicians have done some stuff that would make Stapp look like a choir boy. Yet, it's Stapp that seems to always be put under the spotlight. He's a struggling Christian... everyone knows that. As am I... and millions of other people. I don't see why you guys have a fit everytime he makes a mistake... how does that affect the music he makes? Everyone makes mistakes... and pretty much every rock musician also does. You want trouble free, G-rated music created by G-rated musicians? Go listen to a Hanson record...

Russell Crowe beat the crap out of a hotel worker this year for no reason... but that doesn't mean that Gladiator wasn't a good movie.

Last edited by Chase : 12-05-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #164
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: (Originally Posted by sina2b) thats obsession is envolved in being a celebrity, and thats why they are celebrities and famous because they get alot of freakin attention and most love that attention at least prior to getting it. So if they want to live a normal life, hate people judging them and want to be out of the spot light thats a decision they make so either way they have to live up to the consequences. Note that there are many musicians that are not celebrities or at least they keep themselves out of the spot light.

And no one is blaming anyone for substance usage, if you know a few that have substance issues i bet that most of them use substances however that does not give them the right to do whatever the hell they feel like doing and being drunk in public and abusing others is something that a normal person would get his ass kicked for, now consider being a celebrity it amplifies the issue several times and thats quite normal too.

We didnt beg scott to become a celebrity to feel sorry for him now, im not even sure why people do feel sorry for him as from my perspective hes been luckier than most of us in life but just keeps on fucking up every oppertunity he gets.

You couldn't have said it any better... Loved your post
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #165
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
actually... didn't Jeff Buckley die after drowning in the river? I never knew it was drug related