++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 08-09-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
More info on Passion CD -- WITH TRACKLISTING!

The following interview is from VH1.

---------------------------
After seeing the film "The Passion of the Christ," Scott Stapp had an epiphany. While Mel Gibson's controversial movie didn't exactly inspire a religious rediscovery in the former Creed frontman, the lesson he learned was a lot more fundamental.

"The [film] basically inspired me to readdress my feelings about love and what true love is," Stapp explained. "Seeing what Christ did and why he did that, it inspired me to rethink how I love. Basically, I wanted to relearn love."

"Relearn Love," the first single from The Passion of the Christ: Songs, a 12-track album of music inspired by the film (slated for release on August 31), is proof of Stapp's re-education. The tune actually was written before he saw the film, during a period marked by personal problems, including a divorce and the breakup of his band (see "Creed Break Up"). Seeing the tortuous depiction of the final days of Christ furthered the personal transition Stapp was already undergoing.

"It put my life in perspective," he said. "When I think I have it bad, or when I'm feeling down or complaining or trying to place blame on certain things, I think about what Christ did for me and what he endured, [and] it puts things in the right order. What have I got to complain about? What I need to do is buck up and deal with this.

"When I saw that sacrifice and commitment, I wondered if I could learn how to love just a tenth of what that sacrifice symbolized, it would help me grow as a person. The movie basically made me re-evaluate myself, and how I can be a better person. How can I give and show people compassion and caring and love better than I do now?"

Along with "Relearn Love" which finds Stapp backed by Canadian rockers the Tea Party, The Passion of the Christ: Songs, features contributions from other spiritually minded artists such as P.O.D., Third Day, MxPx with Blink-182's Mark Hoppus, and Lauryn Hill, whose "The Passion" is her first musical offering since posting "Social Drugs" on her Web site in January (see "Misvaluation of Lauryn Hill: $15 Music Video Posted Online"); the former Fugee hasn't issued a proper album or single since 2002's live LP MTV Unplugged No. 2.0.

The album will coincide with the DVD release of "The Passion of the Christ." A video for "Relearn Love," is scheduled to be filmed Tuesday with directors the Brothers Strause (Linkin Park, Nickelback).

"We had asked from the beginning if there was going to be a soundtrack, if there would be anything we could do music-wise," said P.O.D.'s Sonny Sandoval. "And now there's a lot of music inspired by the film. Anybody who saw the film and wants to artistically, through music, express their feelings... that's why they're here."

The album's eclectic lineup, which also includes Big Dismal, Charlotte Church, contemporary gospel singers Kirk Franklin and Yolanda Adams, country artists Brad Paisley and Sara Evans, and a Christian-music collaboration from Third Day, Steven Curtis Chapman and MercyMe, is a testament to the broad swatch of artists the movie has affected.

"The thing that sets this record apart from other soundtracks and compilation albums," MxPx singer/bassist Mike Herrera said, "is that with most records, [the compilers] just grab a song or grab a band [and think], 'Who's the top seller? Who's doing well in the market? Who's going to make us money?' This record isn't like that. This record is about being inspired by this movie and this piece of art. And that's what sets it apart from everything else."

Passion of the Christ: Songs is the first release slated for Lost Keyword Records, a subsidiary of Wind-Up (home to Creed and Evanescence) that is dedicated to releasing pop music. Rock records will continue to be issued by the parent company.

Track list for The Passion of the Christ: Songs, according to Lost Keyword Records:
Third Day, Steven Curtis Chapman, MercyMe - "I See Love"
Scott Stapp (featuring the Tea Party) - "Relearn Love"
P.O.D. - "Truly Amazing"
Brad Paisley and Sara Evans - "New Again"
Big Dismal - "Rainy Day"
Lauryn Hill - "The Passion"
Kirk Franklin (featuring Yolanda Adams) - "How Many Lashes"
MxPx (featuring Mark Hoppus) - "The Empire"
Charlotte Church - "Finding My Own Way"
BeBe Winans and Angie Stone - "Miracle of Love"
Dan Lavery - "To Give Love"
Big Dismal - "Reason I Live"

---------------------------

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 08-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #2
musiclover291
USER INFO »
Thanks for the post. The song rocks!! and the lyrics are awesome the more I listen to the song it really touches me to rethink about my faith and how to really love. Stapp did a awesome job and I hope the song is a huge success for him.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:05 PM   #3
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
so much for the 4-6 new Stapp songs...
Old 08-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #4
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) so much for the 4-6 new Stapp songs...

I think he just submitted 4-6 songs. If they had put all of them on the soundtrack it could just be called "The Passion of the Christ: A Scott Stapp Tribute Album." It would pretty much be a solo album in itself. I do think they could've put one more Stapp song on it (Big Dismal has 2 songs).
What's beyond it?"
- "Save Me" (Alter Bridge)
Old 08-11-2004, 03:11 AM   #5
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by benkenobi) If they had put all of them on the soundtrack it could just be called "The Passion of the Christ: A Scott Stapp Tribute Album."
Heh heh. That'd be cool.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 08-11-2004, 07:53 PM   #6
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) Third Day, Steven Curtis Chapman, MercyMe - "I See Love"
Scott Stapp (featuring the Tea Party) - "Relearn Love"
BeBe Winans and Angie Stone - "Miracle of Love"
Dan Lavery - "To Give Love"

Guys, try something else but "love"!!!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 08-11-2004, 09:44 PM   #7
Kimvan
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by benkenobi) I think he just submitted 4-6 songs. If they had put all of them on the soundtrack it could just be called "The Passion of the Christ: A Scott Stapp Tribute Album." It would pretty much be a solo album in itself. I do think they could've put one more Stapp song on it (Big Dismal has 2 songs).
And the problem with this would be???

Just give love to all....

Peace, and God Bless
Old 08-31-2004, 07:27 AM   #8
farmgirl
USER INFO »
Currently:
Just bumping this because today is the day this cd is due out in stores.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by THE LITHIUM) Guys, try something else but "love"!!!
why? isn't The Passion ultimately about God's love for all of us, that he was willing to give up his own Son on our account? What were you expecting?

Old 08-31-2004, 10:51 AM   #10
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
I'll be picking this up in about 2 hours at Best Buy so I will let my opinions be known then. What I heard of Relearn Love was OK but I only listened to it once so maybe it grows on you.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:41 AM   #11
SandMan
USER INFO »
Got the CD yesterday, Relearn Love is amazing, I love the way it starts out kinda slow and then kicks in to some heavy stuff in the ending...

The other one that is really good to me was the track by Brad Paisley and Sara Evans.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:01 AM   #12
farmgirl
USER INFO »
Currently:
I didn't get a chance to pick the cd up yesterday but I'll get it today.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:47 AM   #13
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
I liked the Big Dismal track.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:46 PM   #14
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
The disc is pretty good. I'm not a fan of all the songs but there are a few I really liked. Scott's song is very good, Rainy Day by Big Dismal is very good, I See Love by that giant conglomeration is good but it is very, very, very preachey. I liked the P.O.D. song and the MxPx song featuring Mark Huppus. And the last track, a second Big Dismal song, was pretty good. Overall it's pretty good.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
musiclover291
USER INFO »
Overall I thank the CD is very good. It's a mixture of different music that satisfy the public taste in music. My favorite's are Relearn Love very powerful and meaningful and POD's song rocks the other song I like was Lauryn Hill song not a big R & B fan but this song really was moving and thought provoking. I think WU and who ever was involved did a great job getting together these artists for this CD. I hope it does well.