++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
dj5
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Question....

would we be talking about scott's voice if the guys did not form alter bridge with myles?
truth is- if the guys did not break up then we would not be hearing any discussions about his voice. myles does have a great voice;but we would not be talking about it
Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
King Oropher
USER INFO »
Re: Question....

I think we wouldn't be talking about it as much but then some of us remember last seeing Scott in concert years ago and back then he was awesome and I guess some of us expect him to be like that now, although that's really unfair.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
BSC
USER INFO »

We would still be talking about Stapp's voice, but we wouldn't be compared Scott to Myles.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
creve
USER INFO »

I think regardless of whether Alter Bridge ever existed, we'd be talking about Stapp's voice, because after so long a distance between the band, the reunion was always going to have a huge level of expectation, so whether it be Scott's voice, or Scott's hair (which is growing on me incidentally), or...should Tremonti have really let himself go guitar-playing-wise, we'd be commenting on something or another.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
shunammite
USER INFO »

I think Stapp had complete confidence in himself in the early years and that came through in the singing. Now he's been through some things that take a toll on the ego, so the charisma may not be the same but that doesn't mean it won't be good. I do think anyone who's used to Myles will think Stapp's voice is maybe not as good. But it's not all about the voice, it's about the song writing and "performance". Better not to compare I think - Myles is also a great guitarist too - each has his strengths - "why put down one to raise another" a great lyricist put it, lol. (Answer: because that's the only way we know to explain what we think I guess. Till we learn to communicate better.)

I fell hard in love with Led Zeppelin a few years ago - and sometimes it breaks my heart looking at the early Plant performances and then how he was after all the hard things came down. But he kept singing - that's the wonderful thing...to keep on keeping on with the best you have at the time...sometimes spring comes again.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
creediscool17
Banned
USER INFO »

dude yeah we would... scott doesn't sound good anymore. its just a fact. they can use auto-tune as much as they want in the studio and clean up his vocals but the fact is he doesn't sound good live anymore. whenever a friend of mine makes fun of me for listening to creed they basically mimic scott stapps voice with this deep bland funny voice, and thats basically how scott stapp now sounds live... the way my friends have been making fun of him.... before he actually did have a little extra something that an average person couldn't mock but now live he really just sounds like hes not even trying.

listen to "what if" off of human clay studio version, that listen to him doing the song live nowadays... the "what if what if what if i" part sounds soooo bad its like hes not even trying.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
Krisoz26
USER INFO »

Good question I don't think it would be as bad. Live you can't notice it as much but some recordings have been terrible could be bad equipment.

As the tour has gone on it seems to of improved. IMO having 5 years off and going straight from rehersals to recording to touring hurt his throat and vocals. I know he had solo tours but not as big and as often.

I have notice Mark miss a few notes aswell. And nothing coincedence???

You can't compare Alter Bridge to Creed in any way vocals or music both different bands
Old 09-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
josha31042
USER INFO »

Stapp still sounded fantastic in December of '08.
Jared showed me some YouTube footage of him in Delray....look it up.
I think that perhaps he took some time off from singing, or he simply really overdid it Feb. - July with Creed.

I'm sure there is some hope for him to recover.
You still have to take into account that the dude is 10 years older than he used to be. The voice is going to change a little bit as you age.
It definately shouldn't have changed this much though.

I say give him some rest, and some more work, and he'll be back on top of his game.

He definately is not his old self by any means, at the moment.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
Krisoz26
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by josha31042) Stapp still sounded fantastic in December of '08.
Jared showed me some YouTube footage of him in Delray....look it up.
I think that perhaps he took some time off from singing, or he simply really overdid it Feb. - July with Creed.

I'm sure there is some hope for him to recover.
You still have to take into account that the dude is 10 years older than he used to be. The voice is going to change a little bit as you age.
It definately shouldn't have changed this much though.

I say give him some rest, and some more work, and he'll be back on top of his game.

He definately is not his old self by any means, at the moment.

Exactly my point. How much rehersal not just for Full circle but the old songs would the band of done???? Then straight in to record and then 30+ concerts.

Doesn't help the voice much.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
CreedJeff
USER INFO »

I am really tired of all of the B.S. about Scott's voice.

If you have not been to a show on this tour, you have absolutely no idea what you are taking about.

I have been to 3 shows on the tour with tonight in Phoenix being the 3rd and the progress that Scott has made in each show with his voice is tremendous.

Faceless Man was almost done completely like the original version that I know and love tonight, which shows tremendous progress in where he is at with his voice.

This is 7 years after the last time the band performed live, I am not sure that any of us would have the same voice.

It takes time and a lot of vocal exercises for you to regain the vocal strength to perform at a level that most of us know and love.

I am not telling you that Scott will ever be the vocalist that we remember from 7 years ago, but to say he is not trying is a asinine statement.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

Truth is his voice was starting to go a long while ago, as in towards the end of the weathered tour.

He'd lost much of his range at that point, the problem really wasn't even a matter of singing technique, the guy was under a lot of pressure.

Do you have any idea how bad for business it is to cancel a tour date? Even a band as prominent as creed at the time would hesitate before doing this. So stapp kept singing even when he was sick.

Think about it, they set these things up MONTHS in advance and there is a LOT of money for a venue to host bands like creed, you cancel that and money goes away = very angry owners, perhaps even angry enough to not allow them back on a return tour.

Stapp sang through a lot of vocal problems he was having during the weathered tour. I guaruntee he had vocal nodes going on and kept singing anyway.

How quickly everyone forgets that to even be able to sing the concert they did at Alcatraz, scott had to have 3 shots of prednizone steroids DIRECTLY INTO HIS NECK. And he sang through that.

Are you really that surprised?

I've said my good and bad things about stapp, but seeing them perform in houston has really changed my attitude toward him and the whole idea of the creed reunion. The guys look like they are actually ENJOYING not only playing the new stuff, but even the old stuff in ways i've never seen even when they first wrote it and hadn't been jaded by concert performance, as well as performing specifically with eachother.

You can tell the the predominant lyrical writing of thousand faces came from Mark, and if you watch the houston concert, stapp downright acknowledges it and actually makes a human connection with Mark during the bridge and especially the ending. The part at the end where scott basically sings the reprise of the first verse to mark and they each patted eachother on the back was just heartbreaking.

So is his voice what it was? No. Why? Poor vocal health and technique. Should it influence your listening? No.

Scott has a lot of guts to get back up there and keep doing this after all the shit that he went through and stirred up not only with the band, but with his personal life and the music world in general. I respect the hell out of a guy who can get up and do it again.

Is he an egotistical prick? Maybe, maybe not. Is he sincere when he says some of the stuff he says? Is he pretentious? Sure. But guess what? Sometimes it's easier to look at the negative aspects of a person specifically in a narrow minded view because you can pidgeon hole them and make them easy to understand.

It's far harder to accept that egotism and pretentiousness may only be one facet of a person. That a person can be egotistical, pretentious, arrogant, and yet still a good person? Heaven forbid that people are three dimensional, they clearly CAN ONLY BE A DICK AND NOTHING MORE!!! ZOMG

I gotta tell you, to be a successful performer of any type, there is a certain amount of narcisism and egotism involved. Period. No performer is 100% devoid of that characteristic. Some people express it in an active way verbally (scott), some express it in performance (mark), but it's all stemming from the same root. It's what gives them the confidence to get up there and play music they've written themselves at the risk of being rejected, and not only do that but do it well and in an exciting manner, in mark it manifests into amazing showmanship, in scott it does the same but filters a bit into his normal personality. So what? Doesn't that make him more interesting? For someone so hated, there is an awful lot of buzz about him, and as they say in showbiz: The only bad press is no press.

I say give the guy a break, i respect everyone who says his singing is crap's opinion, but you try singing 8 shows a week, let alone a rock concert, and come to me unhoarse after just 1. Considering how long the man has been at it, it's a surprise his voice is there at all.

If you look at major rock bands that have come and gone, especially the ones with long careers, there is not a single vocalist who sounds the same now as when he started. Singing the way you do as a rock vocalist by nature changes musculature and sound, especially as you age. We tend to compare vocalists to other "great" ones, but the ones whose voices never changed typically have overdosed or shot themselves before there was ever a chance for that to occur.

Scott Stapp, Eddie Vedder, Robert Plant, James Hetfield, Aaron Lewis, Rod Stewart, David Draiman, Steven Tyler, you name it. Not a single one of them sounds the same now as when they first started their careers. People just find stapp an easy target, the only difference is he's more pretentious, but that is again jsut one part of his personality, and doesn't make him a bad person.

Scott and Mark wrote a lot of stuff in Human Clay and Weathered that trashed scott's voice because he could never sing that high to begin with and he did so by pushing and basically ripping up his vocal chords. At least respect the fact that stapp isn't trying to sing anything in the original keys because he has ADMITTED to himself that he CANT, and even in the lower keys he's admitted there are still notes he can't sing so he's changed the melody.

That directly counteracts any ego and pretentiousness he has developed. Do any of you have any idea how hard it is as a performer to admit when you CANT do something? Especially when you USED TO BE ABLE TO? and were FAMOUS for it?

Personally i'm excited to see where this goes, some of the material i've heard off full circle gives me chills. Are the lyrics/music the same? No, but neither are the people who wrote it or the people who listen to it. The world is a different place than it was in 1997 if you haven't noticed, so it stands to reason that the band will be different as well.

Resistance to change is just a narrow minded way to live. You might find that by waiting and accepting things for what they are rather than what they are not or what you wish they were yields a less aggravating listening experience.

Just my buck fifty. (i'd say two cents, but i talk too much)

Last edited by Icedmofo : 09-30-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
shunammite
USER INFO »

*applause*
Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
CreedJeff
USER INFO »

^^

That novel pretty much sums it up!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
in reality
USER INFO »

You made some good points. Though I think Stapp wrote Thousand Faces. He said in quite a few interviews, about the writing process of Full Circle. I don't think Stapp was ever as pretentious, as for instance, Adam Lambert is now. He never got near that level, judging by youtube videos of Lambert's performances. I must though like singers who are egotistical to some degree. Lambert is my second favorite after Stapp. Oh well.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsReN3i69p4&NR=1

This is the relatinoship between mark and scott now, this is what makes performing fun.

They have that old sense of humor they had on the my own prison tour before shit got heavy.