++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The Great Divide - Review

I's dun stolinz me a copy of The Great Divide and basically, don't get your hopes up too much.

When I first heard how bad his voice got, I never thought it would be a problem. I figured the sound engineer would make him sound as if he were brand new, straight out of the box. Well, that was not the case, his voice is not bad, just not brand new in box. Think more along the lines of factory refurbished. Stapp's voice has two distinct qualities, one being he can actually sing and two he can be grungie without sound like, well - a bitch. When he sings at a normal pace and pitch his voice sounds nice, like the Weathered Tour. When he raises his voice, its starts to get a little raspie, like when he goes for the grungie parts. Its when he actually goes for the grungie parts that you start to feel a little uncomfortable. Kind of like when you turn the ignition key... after the car has been turned on. On a positive note, he doesn't attempt to force his [grungie-ness] voice a lot throughout the album. Its about a minimal 5 - 10% of the album that has some forced "grungie-ness" to it. With that being said, the problem that this causes is that the very first song, Reach Out, makes up the bulk majority of that 5 - 10%. Which is good in a way, but its bad because it is the very first song on the album. To most people that first track makes or breaks the album(present company included). The song Reach Out does one hell of a job expressing his anger, but it sounds as hes been yelling at everyone, individually since the band broke up.

If you have made it this far, congrats. Unlike the Alter Bridge fans that stopped reading after I said boobies. Now that I got negative apsect of out of the way, Its time that I speak of the positive. Unfortunately I am not good at reviewing music, so I'll be brief. The music is great and the songs are wonderful, it has Scott Stapp's signature and style written all over it. The one thing everyone got right is that the CD has the Creed-esque radio friendly feel to it. But in a smart way, not in the way that you feel as if you're listening to the same crap, with a new coat of paint. The accompanying band does a great job staying faithful to the music and making it thier own without hijacking. Imagine a mutial respectful artist taking over the job of a band they respect and admired as opposed to a band that is getting the break of thier lives actually getting to do what they aspired to be.

If you were, like me, looking for something to bitch smack Alter Bridge with, this is not it. Its more of a swift Tonya Harding blow to the knee caps. Something not powerful enough to end a career, but powerful enough get both parties thinking about thier next move.

In my opinion (because that all that [my narcisism says] matters), it was well worth stealing. This album is no Relearn Love and The Great Divide, like Open Your Eyes was, is the most Creed sounding song on the album. Personally I loved the album, Justify being my favorite song out of the whole album. To me it was well worth the wait. I strongly recommend the album to everyone. It is a hell of a lot better than anyone of us was giving him credit. Atleast give the whole thing a listen before you pass judgement. The reason I said not to get your hopes up too high is because that first song will kill you. It took me a good while to be able to sit down a listen to it again without passing judgement. You will know what I am talking about when you hear the song. The first thing that will go through you head is "great, the rest is going to be just like this." Predujices and skepticism aside, I promise you will like the album. If you are a Creed or Stapp fan, will love it. If Alter Bridge has you by the balls, will if anything enjoy it. If you're a self ritieous, holier-than-thou cynic that believes Tool and Pearl Jam are God's gift to this world keep looking.... you're an annoying bastard that nobody likes and you make baby Jesus cry.

Now discuss amonst yourself.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mulletman) Unfortunately I am not good at reviewing music, so I'll be brief.
Way to be brief, Al.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mulletman) If you were, like me, looking for something to bitch smack Alter Bridge with, this is not it. Its more of a swift Tonya Harding blow to the knee caps. Something not powerful enough to end a career, but powerful enough get both parties thinking about thier next move.
Now that is a review I can appreciate. And it's brief.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mulletman) If you're a self ritieous, holier-than-thou cynic that believes Tool and Pearl Jam are God's gift to this world keep looking.... you're an annoying bastard that nobody likes and you make baby Jesus cry.

Now discuss amonst yourself.
I love you.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
INDIGOSTEVE
USER INFO »
good job on not being a reviewer! the cd rocks~
Old 11-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: If you're a self ritieous, holier-than-thou cynic that believes Tool and Pearl Jam are God's gift to this world keep looking.... you're an annoying bastard that nobody likes and you make baby Jesus cry.
I'm not self-righteous (well, not all the time ), I can be a cynic and you know I love Tool and PJ...and I'm sorry for making baby Jesus cry !
That was a good review, though. I, too, like Justify the best. After that, though, I don't like the rest until it gets to Broken. At least with those two songs, he tried something different. I think the rest sounds too safe and boring, but that's just me. I gave it a 4/10. I really should give it more than two listens, though . I agree it was well worth getting early because I'm not sure I want to spend the money on it, unless it's 10 bucks or less at Target or Best Buy or something.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yea, I agree. If youre gonna steal it - by all means do it! You wont regret it. Otherwise, get it on sale or on iTunes for $10.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 AM   #6
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
You can always order it from Amazon.com

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 11-22-2005, 12:42 AM   #7
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Thats sad, you better be making a good amount of money for that shameless plug.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:50 AM   #8
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
hehe, about 5% I think... so around $0.55 w00t!

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 11-22-2005, 12:58 AM   #9
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
way to sell your soul!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #10
Muad'Dib
USER INFO »
Tool is gods gift to the world!!

Ive given the album a few more listens and ill stick by what I said, its bout 6-7 out of 10. First 6 songs are great, kind of falls away after that. Its just good to hear his voice again
Some days my skin just isn’t so thick
Old 11-22-2005, 02:05 AM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) hehe, about 5% I think... so around $0.55 w00t!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:10 AM   #12
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »
I gave the album one listen and I liked, but not enough to listen anymore. The Great Devide is on my iPod and I listen to that everyday(that 1 song). I think I like it because it reminds me of CREED.
I thought DISCO was Gods gift to music

-Homer Simpson

Old 11-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
ALECIA326
USER INFO »
Well I am new here but I thought I would post my review.. Okay I really like th album but I do not love it.. My favorite is probably Broken. It is worth it to buy it. But I think both AB and TGD are good not great they just seem great together.( writing the songs and all) Scott and Mark together seem great. I don't think it was all Scott and I don't think it was all Mark. I think they did it together and very well. Does that make sense. I like AB but I just don't like Myles voice I really don't know why it is great just not for me. But that is my review as short and sweet as I could get it.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #14
Torn Signs
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Torn Signs Send a message via Yahoo to Torn Signs
Quote: (Originally Posted by ALECIA326) Well I am new here but I thought I would post my review.. Okay I really like th album but I do not love it.. My favorite is probably Broken. It is worth it to buy it. But I think both AB and TGD are good not great they just seem great together.( writing the songs and all) Scott and Mark together seem great. I don't think it was all Scott and I don't think it was all Mark. I think they did it together and very well. Does that make sense. I like AB but I just don't like Myles voice I really don't know why it is great just not for me. But that is my review as short and sweet as I could get it.

I agree with everything you said, accept for not loving it, because I do. Otherwise with AB, TGD, and Mark and Stapp, I sure do!

I'm otherwise known as: WTLF-101
Old 11-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #15
sina2b
USER INFO »
the only ones I listen to are justify, fightsong, soround me and TGD and sometimes broken. the rest id probably listen to rarely and thats for scotts voice. but yea ill buy the CD.