++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 11-25-2005, 12:41 AM   #16
facelessmike
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I think its great that both AB and Stapp had solid performances on Leno. Stapp's was exactly what I expected, and quite good. I liked finally hearing TGD live (not acoustically). But, AB absolutely rocked the joint with FTR. It was sick!! That perfomance was fantastic!
Old 11-25-2005, 01:18 AM   #17
rainfall
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by eusebio) One vote counted against the expression of preferences and criticism

I am clearly not against expression of preferences and criticism seeing as how my post was purley an expression of criticism for the topic as a whole,
and my preference to not compare the two groups.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:53 AM   #18
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by rainfall) I am clearly not against expression of preferences and criticism seeing as how my post was purley an expression of criticism for the topic as a whole,
and my preference to not compare the two groups.
No need to point out the obvious. I was defending my question, without refering to your responce as "bull shit"

-Homer Simpson

Old 11-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #19
rainfall
USER INFO »
ahh... got it you don't appreciate the use of language, fair enough.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #20
RMadd
USER INFO »
i'm going to go out on a limb here and say Stapp. as i recall, AB's performance of FTR was at a faster tempo than on the album, and i didn't think it sounded good like that. overall, then, i think Stapp's was better.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #21
Trimontana
USER INFO »
I am gonna be a bit dork..this thread doesnt belong here first of all.
And second, do people post those threads to make us fight AB fans against Stappy fans??? Lame.
I choose AB performance...i just saw Stappy performance and he was a shadow compared how he used to be...but hes still the same arrogant ass he was.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #22
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Trimontana) And second, do people post those threads to make us fight AB fans against Stappy fans??? Lame.
in light of your final statement, i'm confused by preceding remark

Quote: (Originally Posted by Trimontana) but hes still the same arrogant ass he was.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #23
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by JulieCitySlicker) Only because I didn't know about Switchfoot then
Yes, but also because you were a big Creed fan!

But anyway... Hands down, it's Alter Bridge! Stapp, alone, put on a good show. But everyone one in Alter Bridge put on a frickin' awesome show! It was the preformance I've ever seen on both The Tonight Show, (Leno) and The Late Night Show, (Letterman)!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor

Last edited by The Lithium : 11-27-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #24
titan9
USER INFO »
Alright, I just watched both videos, one after the other. My thoughts:

Myles sounded spot on during AB's performance of "FTR". I was apparently wrong when I said that he didn't earlier. I think I was thinking of another performance.

The music, during AB's performance, was a bit sped up, like RMadd said. That didn't sound as good as the album version, even though Tremo's playing was quite good.

The energy showcased by Myles was good(he also played with the mic stand a bit), but not great.

As for Stapp's, he sounded pretty good. Not quite as good as the album version, but he spiced things up a bit and sung it slightly differently(particularly the chorus).

The music was okay, but not great. It wasn't sped up like AB's, but it wasn't quite up to par with the album version, either.

Stapp's energy was amazing. He showed great charisma and great showmanship on stage, something he was known for during the MOP/HC tours, and perhaps part of the Weathered tour. Was it a bit overthetop at times? Yes, but that's what made it cool, imo. The mic stand trick only added to the performance. I hope he is this energetic during his tour, because if he is, that alone could make up for any subpar vocal performances.

The verdict: Well, it's tough to choose. The way I see it, both vocalists did a fantastic job. The music was on an equal level, although I'd give the edge to AB if the music wouldn't have been so sped up. The energy for both vocalists was good, but Stapp wins that hands-down. If Myles would have showed off a bit more like Stapp did, I might give the edge to him. Anyway, overall, I think I might have to give the edge to Stapp, for only one reason: he was more into than Myles was, and really put on a good show by himself.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 11-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #25
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
1. Stapp forgot the lyrics
2. Stapp sang differently coz he can't reach the notes he recorded (pro-tools anyone?)
3. Artie missed the picking

1. AB played a faster tempo, showing adrenaline
2. Mark improvised a lot (read improved)
3. Myles improvised "crown of thorns" (read improved)
4. Myles hit the FTR note (read he can do live what he does on recordings)

Overall, way better performance by Alter Bridge than Stapp.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #26
titan9
USER INFO »
If we're talking about forgetting lyrics(and Stapp didn't really forget that many, outside of some of the bridge) Myles also goofed up. Instead of saying "I must surrender" he said "I will surrender". Regardless, I don't think that should matter much, because singers are bound to forget lyrics when they are nervous. I'm not going to hold that against them, as I've done it myself and I don't perform in front of large crowds.

As for the music, Artie was definitely off a little, but that could also be blamed on being nervous. How many times has his band performed in front of that many people? Not that many.

I don't like that AB played faster--I prefer the album tempo, not a sped up version of it. To me, that makes the music seem too sloppy. Just my opinion.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #27
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
I don't know if it's "must" or "will"... anyway, at least he didn't stand quiet until the next line trying to catch up with music... heh!

Stapp had to sing lower coz he can't reach the notes on the album...

Face it! We know you like Stapp better and that's up to you, I don't blame you for that, but AB put a better performance.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #28
titan9
USER INFO »
Do you mean I like Stapp's performance better? Or that I prefer Stapp to AB? Because if you meant the second one, you're wrong. I'm an equal fan of both AB and Stapp. However, I have spent a fair amount of time defending Scott lately, basically because I feel he is, at times, being unfairly bashed. You oughta know I'd do the same for AB if that were occurring in the AB forum.

And it is "must". I know those lyrics by heart.

As for Scott not being able to hit the notes live anymore, well, I prefer not to judge that until I see him live in concert. Has his voice deteriorated? Of course! But I'd like to hope that it hasn't deteriorated as horribly as some people think. We'll see.

And I'm still not impressed with the music from that performance. It was way too fast for me and it made it feel so sloppy. I'm glad that Stapp's wasn't so sped up, even if a few notes were missed.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:03 AM   #29
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) 1. AB played a faster tempo, showing adrenaline
this alone does not mean it's better. sure, you might do it for adrenaline, but, IMO, FTR doesn't sound good played so rapidly. i like it better as the trudging, slug-it-out, hard-rocking guitar-fest that it is. i think it's a wontabulous way to start off their album (it just may be my favorite song on there).
however, you do make good points with your other remarks. i think the reason why i went for Stapp was that, with him, I really wasn't expecting a whole lot, to be quite honest. the live performances of him I'd seen (World Series... in person!, NASCAR awards, and... one other, I think) in the past year or so hardly impressed me, so Leno was definitely a step up for him. AB, meanwhile, if I'm not mistaken, performed on Leno after I'd seen live concert footage of them (neither rivaled what I saw in person the week after Leno), so, in that regard, it was a bit of a let-down for me. i suppose that, in all, AB's performance was superior, but the fact that i had set my expectations so high for them on that particular performance did take away from it a bit (also, as I recall, the TV i watched it on didn't have good sound quality, so that sucked... i realized this when i watched a clip on the internet someone had uploaded and it sounded much better)

Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #30
titan9
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) this alone does not mean it's better. sure, you might do it for adrenaline, but, IMO, FTR doesn't sound good played so rapidly. i like it better as the trudging, slug-it-out, hard-rocking guitar-fest that it is. i think it's a wontabulous way to start off their album (it just may be my favorite song on there).

Exactly. I much prefer the album version to the sped up version on Leno.

As for the rest of what you said, I kinda agree. I've never personally been to an AB concert(anytime they've been around my area, I've already had plans and have been unable to go) but I have watched a lot of video footage and listened to some bootlegs as well. They've definitely done better versions of FTR live than they did on Leno that particular night. I guess the Leno performance, like you said, was a bit of a letdown, given I know that they can do better.