++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

View Poll Results: Who is Right?
I am right 7 70.00%
He is right 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
backllgiioo
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
With Arms Wide Open Argument

With Arms Wide Open

If I had just one wish
Only one demand
I hope he's not like me
I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

My friend and I have been having an epic argument over the meaning of the lyrics in this portion of the song. He feels that the lyrics are incorrect because it asks for just one wish and then proceeds to ask for three things (not like me, hold life by the had, and greet the world.) I feel that he does just ask for the one thing (Not like me) and clearly explains it with the following lyrics. I think the lyrics would work as are if it was punctuated with a colon (I think the colon is implied) after "not like me" and in order to explain his "not like me" statement and you would not have to change the lyrics, but my friend believes that because they are wrong and although he means to ask for one thing, he is really mistakenly asking for three and the only way to rectify that would be to inlude a "such as" after saying "not like me". WHO IS RIGHT!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Re: With Arms Wide Open Argument

"The songs are about things that we were thinking and we wrote 'em down, and when you listen to 'em, whatever you think it's about... THAT'S what it's about!" -- Layne Staley.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
revisfoot
USER INFO »

With Arms Wide Open single-handedly ended Creed's career. Once the record label, Wind-Up, found out that the softer side of Creed sold more records and got more radio play, they were forced to write songs like "Don't Stop Dancing," "Hide," "One Last Breath," etc.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
nagpo
USER INFO »

I say you and your friend move on from creed a little, its not the early ninties anymore. Why don't you have an argument about something worhwhile?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by revisfoot) With Arms Wide Open single-handedly ended Creed's career. Once the record label, Wind-Up, found out that the softer side of Creed sold more records and got more radio play, they were forced to write songs like "Don't Stop Dancing," "Hide," "One Last Breath," etc.
I love it when people make assumptions with very little evidence to their truth. /not.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) "The songs are about things that we were thinking and we wrote 'em down, and when you listen to 'em, whatever you think it's about... THAT'S what it's about!" -- Layne Staley.
i hear ya Dog but i can see the opening aguments points indeed but consindering its art it really dosen,t matter your right dude thats more than one wish thats was just a simple quote from Layne
Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by nagpo) I love it when people make assumptions with very little evidence to their truth. /not.
its just called a misconception and we could,nt live without it and ya know man you gotta keep top 40 happy to hang in there therefore that is not a misconception but aside from that if it makes you feel better creeds sound was not 40 orient but in class to itself to those who love to feel the music and mysteries melodys AMEN now the top 40 kept everybody happy at work at play on their way to walmart or a long weekend drive and made creed a house hold name With Songs Like Higher And AWO
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by TrulyAmazing) i hear ya Dog but i can see the opening aguments points indeed but consindering its art it really dosen,t matter your right dude thats more than one wish thats was just a simple quote from Layne
I miss Layne.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I miss Layne.
Everybody Does Dog Everybody Does the very first time i heared man in a box i thought this is going some where he long lives with us thats for sure and deepley missed indeed
Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
Redeemer
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Redeemer Send a message via MSN to Redeemer Send a message via Yahoo to Redeemer

I love how every thread in this forum turns into a gripe-fest about some semantic or another. /not

To be relevant to the real subject of the post, I agree with Staley by way of Terri. But if I really had to pick a side, I'd say that I feel that he does just ask for the one thing (Not like me) and clearly explains it with the following lyrics. sounds about right to Me.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Redeemer)
I love how every thread in this forum turns into a gripe-fest about some semantic or another. /not

To be relevant to the real subject of the post, I agree with Staley by way of Terri. But if I really had to pick a side, I'd say that I feel that he does just ask for the one thing (Not like me) and clearly explains it with the following lyrics. sounds about right to Me.
ya know i,ve always had a saying if it looks like a duck walks like a duck it is a duck you can look and hear at many things through different ways and its gets tiresome after so long chances are my friend ya heared it right the first time
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Sakizopa
USER INFO »

Personally I think as being voted for Miss Conception, that "With Arms Wide Open" relating into a souls feeling, that against any peoples opinions soul has its relationship to god, and not any folk of opinions, but souls thinking art.
This is my main idea of my pictures soul: before I set any foot into a room for the outer world, I should have noticed to shut this door silently as being invisible for others around me [Solei´Ah]. Because the main idea should have been understood: combinations between the books Kandinsky and Vico ["Liber metaphysicus"] in their aristotelian artworks.

My "Soleiah" http://www.brucknerfreunde.at/bilder/mv02.mp3
Old 03-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Sakizopa) Personally I think as being voted for Miss Conception, that "With Arms Wide Open" relating into a souls feeling, that against any peoples opinions soul has its relationship to god, and not any folk of opinions, but souls thinking art.
indeed my friend indeed indeed for example Just Like Freddy Mecurys Spirt he left a message for us all today that completes our spirt And A great Artist he was his portaits and visuals and remarkble voice soared to a place of freedom and spirt and truth AWO you can easliy here the second time How Are Heavenly Father Would Greet Us With AWO a opening prayer just for all of us to grasp IN THIS WORLD AMEN that has found it hard to greet the world that knoweth not Peace Be With you Sakizopa
Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
Sakizopa
USER INFO »

As I was young, I was a bird-watcher, watching birds and their behaviors in their nature, the peregrine-falcons for instance. Standing up at 4 o´clock and watching birds in their behaviors made myself of being an artist in the future.

Doing the indian way of life, I wanted to embrass the earth as the holy nature in its godly senses, to become aquaintance with all spirits of the nature.
In one night something was happen. My living room has been lighted from a threshold of my door in my living room, then the light from the threshold becoming bigger and then: a living moving figure of an angel rised against my heart to introduce hisself of my life and worses. His mouth was very angry and he told in its language. Abgezackter Mund mit bestimmenden, statistischen Bewegungen, als würde er in seiner Rechten die Feder meines Lebens halten. The room was becoming bigger, and the universe was more than my living room.
He told me I am a prison of times thru all musics.

I totally have been finished with myself, I thought I could die but the time was real and the hate against changes from a godly move would bring the change.
I told my friends but they told me about a devil or what.

Blödsinn!

---

At the text from Scott Stapp:
"I hope he's not like me"
When you think others life is for your own, meant in religion and souls being, and in same time not thinking about your ownself, just to believe in others way, you will never be able to embrass the earth in her godly senses! Real thinkers should be hermeneuticians, and not opinioners of masses behind masks. Scott Stapp let his thought behind for US.
This is my main idea of my pictures soul: before I set any foot into a room for the outer world, I should have noticed to shut this door silently as being invisible for others around me [Solei´Ah]. Because the main idea should have been understood: combinations between the books Kandinsky and Vico ["Liber metaphysicus"] in their aristotelian artworks.

My "Soleiah" http://www.brucknerfreunde.at/bilder/mv02.mp3

Last edited by Sakizopa : 03-13-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

thats ok john the babtist came not eating or drinking and they said He Had A Devil Its A Blessing To Be As One With Nature For If We Cry Out To Truth And His Majesty The Rocks And Nature Crys Out and we our one with that song in that silents and knowing that language it speaks still water sometimes like a breeze ya know what i know we our in the wrong thread but thats a beautiful Testimony mink one my friend sounds like one of those angels you meet at the cross Roads GLORY TO GOD one path is always dark the other light GOD said Both The Day And The Night Our Alike To Him Praise Jesus And He Said We Will Have Dark Conflicts And Preseverances AMEN And He Said In Me There Is No Darkness Only Light Enjoyed Reading Your Story