++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Justify
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
New Stapp Interview from Melbourne, AUS

Saw this interview originally on PBF. I thought it would be a good interview to post here too.

http://www.brownnoiseunit.com/node/185

TRANSCRIPT OF THE INTERVIEW CAN BE FOUND HERE
http://www.brownnoiseunit.com/node/109

Quote: Scott Stapp tells Hans Fruck that there’s no such thing as Rock ‘n’ Roll 101.

Former Creed front man Scott Stapp is renowned for the power of his singing voice. And on the line from his home in South Beach, Florida, he speaks with preacherly eloquence – a slow, cadenced delivery, interspersed with “brother” and “man”. He has, it appears, a flair for anything oral.

Stapp is enthused at the prospect of heading Down Under this month to play shows in Sydney and Melbourne. “[Australian] fans and I have the exact same connection as home ... And I’ve always said that I want to go to places where people want to hear me.”

Although accustomed to playing stadiums in his days with Creed, Stapp has “loved” the smaller-venue experience and the chance it’s given him to “reconnect in a room in front of 2500 people”. In fact, Stapp says he tried to infuse his solo album, The Great Divide, with a “live feel”, declaring that sonic “imperfection was less important than feeling”.

He’s relishing going solo, Stapp says, because “you can be yourself. There’s less compromises.” He sees his debut solo record and his tour as a means of “introducing” himself to the world, although given that Creed sold 33 million records, it’s more a case of re-introducing himself.

As for his former bandmates, he describes them as “friends”, though it’s hard not to sense lingering acrimony when he flatly states “Creed will never get back together”.

This is quite a concession coming from the man who says “I did and took whatever I needed to, to try and keep the band together”. During his time in Creed, Stapp says he battled a litany of ailments, including being diagnosed with nodules on his vocal chords, pneumonia, and two tumours: “They thought that I had lymphoma”. And when Stapp was involved in a car accident – “I got hit by a car doing 60mph when I was parked, and messed up my back and my neck” – the first segment of a big US tour was cancelled. (There’s some controversy over just how serious the accident was.)

These health issues, and the pressure to keep performing, Stapp says, led to him taking drugs, including an anti-inflammatory called Prednisone. This drug and alcohol addiction, in turn, resulted in increasingly bizarre behaviour – one famously unhinged performance in Chicago resulted in fans filing a lawsuit.

But eventually Stapp pulled back from the brink. “I’m a grown man. I can say, ‘You know what? I’m not gonna do this.’ OK? I’m gonna take care of myself, because I need to be alive for my son, because there’s a risk here. And I remember that I wanted this band to stay together so bad I said ‘Ah, who cares if I don’t live to be past 50?’ I can’t believe that those words came out of my mouth. I was 25 years old, but I can’t believe those words came out of my mouth.”

These aren’t the only scars Stapp carries. At the height of their success, Creed were widely derided as copyists surfing the last ripples of the Seattle sound. Even now, Stapp’s hurt by this: “No, listen, that hurt me, man. That wasn’t my rock ‘n’ roll dream. Let me be honest with you, dude. You know, you think you’re gonna be loved by everybody. That’s just the bottom-line truth.”

Looking back, he realises the band made a bad situation worse: “You know, part of the chip that was on the band’s shoulder was ‘The press hates us, and we’ve gotta have this chip’, and we came off as a bunch of pretentious a-holes, man – to some people. And you know what? We deserved what we got. But we were young and naive, and we didn’t know. I mean, there’s no guidebook on Rock ‘n’ Roll 101. I mean, we were trying to do what we thought was best. And we thought, you know, that just acting like tough guys, like we didn’t care... and handle it that way – and you know, just act pretentious in an interview. I mean, what’s up with that, man?”

A constant source of angst among the band members was Creed being identified as Christian rock, a label that frustrated his bandmates and disconcerted Stapp: “Why does it have to be ‘Christian rock’? Why can’t it just be ’rock’?”

He does admit, though, that when he was struggling with his health and addiction, he turned to his faith: “Dude, when you’re on your back, the only thing you can do is look up. And you’ve got one foot that’s ready to go down to Hell, and you’re gonna cry out to God. I don’t care who you are. Even Nietzsche said, ‘No man dies an atheist’.”

On The Great Divide songs like Justify anatomize what Stapp describes as his “double life”. “I’m being completely honest in that song, saying I’ve lived a life of deceit. I surrounded myself with worldly things ... That’s confession. And you know what? I haven’t reached enlightenment because of my success.

"At the end of the day, being happy and waking up with a skip in your step, and being happy and not having all these worries – that’s where I wanna be, brother. I wanna be in the sublime 24/7.”

He may be older and wiser now, but youthful indiscretions sometimes take years to detonate, as Stapp recently discovered when a sex tape of him and Kid Rock swapping notes with groupies surfaced on the internet. Stapp’s unabashed by the tape, though reluctant to go into specifics: “I can’t really talk a lot about that because of the litigation and lawsuit”.

At the time, Stapp says, he was living out the rock cliché. “After my first divorce, I went reeling a little bit, and I kinda wanted to experience the rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle. I thought it was what I was supposed to do. I thought, hey man, this is what my idols did, right? And this is how I was thinking. I was young, you know, 24, 25. And, you know, I did what I did.”

He’s aghast that anyone would suspect him of releasing the tape – which he says was stolen from his safe by an employee – to boost his album sales or profile. “Do you think that I’d put that out about myself? My God, man.”

Stapp is full of good intentions, yet acknowledges the “dichotomy” of his life. “My goal”, he says, “and part of my growth and my journey is to try to see if my actions can match my words.” Yet he and controversy seem to share a fatal attraction. On the day he married a second time, Stapp was arrested for public drunkenness while trying to board a flight to Hawaii en route to his honeymoon. ”I’m not telling you”, he says, “that you’re not gonna read in the paper ... that I got busted at an airport drinking again. I don’t know what’s gonna happen in six months. But I know where my heart is.

“But that doesn’t mean I’m a perfect person, brother. I got my battles just like everybody else. I just share mine with the world. The only thing that keeps me going, man, is because, deep down inside, I’m gonna win. I don’t wanna lose. That’s what gets me through life. I look at life as ‘Hey, this is not gonna beat me’. I’m gonna enjoy it, and you know what? It’s been half and half. And it may even have been less enjoyment than the other.

“But you know, damn it, I’m gonna get it. I’m gonna get it.”

Scott Stapp plays the Forum, April 22. The Great Divide is released through Sony/BMG
Matthew 11:30
His yoke is easy and his burden is light

Last edited by Justify : 04-10-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Rocketqueen
USER INFO »
Re: New Stapp Interview from Melbourne, AUS

Thanks For Posting I Loved The Closing Words There In That Interview
I Indeed Babtize you with water BUT ONE Mightier Than I Cometh The Latchet Of Whose Shoes I,am Not Worthy To Unloose He Shall Babtize You With The Holy Ghost And With FIREEEEEEEEEE John The Babtist You Never Count Your Money When YOUR Sittin At The Table There Will Be Time Enough To Count,em When The Dealings Done
Old 04-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
Justify
USER INFO »

Here's some quotes from the interview transcript that relate to some of the discussions we have had on here... ie. playing Creed songs in concert, Scott's feelings on a Creed reunion, the sex tape...etc.

I didn't want to post the whole transcript because it is pretty long.
You can find it here:
http://www.brownnoiseunit.com/node/109

Quote: Do you still get on with the other members of Creed. Are the communication lines still open?

Oh, no. No. Creed will never get back together.

Oh, man. You’ll have a lot of disappointed fans.

Well, you know, man, I think that Creed was an idea. One thing that we say, me and my band now, is ‘this is bigger than us’. That’s because the music is like a journal of our growth in life, and our ups and downs, and ways of how we want to be but aren’t, but we may sing about because we’re trying to build ourselves up, not anybody else. There’s no agenda. The music, for me, lyrics especially, I write for me. And I think that was such a misunderstanding in Creed. But it’s not gonna change. Just the players. There’ll be changes in the music per se, but I really consider this just Creed album number four, nothing really changed except the guys I had play around me, and I went from one genius guitar player to another.

I want to ask you about Creed. You guys just had a gargantuan amount of success. The music industry is a difficult mountain to climb. When the band split up, and now you’ve gone solo, did you ever doubt that you could climb that mountain a second time?

Oh, you know. I never thought about it. Here I am doing it, man. At the time, man. You’re just in the moment. I was in the moment, but not in the moment because of things going on in my personal life. And it was a rough time for me as well as for everybody else in the band. There was a lot of stuff going on. You know, I thought it was gonna last forever. The thing is, is I think it can, and I think it is. And I don’t wanna take away from the guys that played with me in Creed, but you know it’s carried on, man. It’s right there on The Great Divide. And of course it’s got its differences, but the essence of the band I started, Creed, and the sound that I helped create and wrote with is there, man. The only thing that I really focussed on differently lyrically is... I’m tired of being misunderstood. And so I wanted to get it out there that ‘Hey, you know’ – and I think I mentioned this before – I write about how I wanna be sometimes not how I am.

Scott, we’ve only got about 30 seconds left, and you can feel free to say ‘Simon, that’s absolutely none of your business–’

Oh hey, are you talking about the sex tape?

Yeah. Well, you know...

I can’t really talk a lot about that because of the litigation and lawsuit, but let me tell you, man. Somebody... I can’t believe that on my wife’s first marriage, a beautiful wedding... What hurts me the most about that is my wife had to deal with that. It stole a good three-four days of joy from my honeymoon. And that’s not cool, man. Fortunately, me and my wife were honest with each other, and we’d known each other and shared things with each other that prior, way prior to that tape, six, seven, eight months prior, I had told her after my first divorce that I went reeling a little bit. And I kinda wanted to experience the rock n roll lifestyle. I thought it was what I was supposed to do. I thought, hey man, this is what my idols did, right? And this is how I was thinking. I was young, you know, 24, 25. And, you know, I did what I did. I’m not ashamed that the whole world knows. If they would ask me, I’d tell ‘em. But what I’m ashamed of is... I’m ashamed of that behaviour now.

Are you and Kid Rock still on speaking terms?

Oh, Bob, was just getting publicity. You know, his album was coming out.

But that’s what some people are saying about you? You must be pretty disappointed about that? That people are saying the same thing about you?

Ah, whaddya mean? About the tape?

Yeah.

Nah, the tape was stolen, man. Do you think that I’d put that out about myself? My god, man. And also, Bob. Listen, behind the scenes, Bob wasn’t happy that tape was out. Are you kidding me? He went off on me, even publicly. But behind the scenes, he still was like ‘how could you be so stupid to let someone steal that from you?’

Yeah, it’s a good record. I liked it more than I thought I would, to be perfectly honest. I just have one question for you. I think your fans would like to know: will you be playing any Creed songs when you’re touring?

Oh yeah, dude. I mean, they’re my songs. I do my whole new record and I do 10 Creed songs. We mix it up. But I pretty much make sure I do all my hits. But then there are songs that people like live that I found out over the years, like Faceless Man and Wash Away the Years sometimes, and Lullaby, and Bullet, and Freedom Fighter, and even going back to Unforgiven Illusion, and things of that nature. I play everything I write, man. It’s just a matter of the mood that I’m in. It’s hard to jump back into some of those moods, because those were times and diaries and depictions of my mind and my life at the time. So some of the songs I sing, and I think ‘My God, I can’t believe that I wrote this song’...

It’s like a time capsule.

Yeah, exactly. So we just try to keep it fresh. The typical Creed fan comes to the show an they gonna get everything that they love and more.

Would you be OK with the other guys now playing in Alter Bridge playing Creed songs.

I don’t think they could pull it off. You think someone could pull off me?

No. No, probably not.

I don’t think anyone could pull off Mark Tremonti. That’s why everything is done exactly like Mark Tremonti played it. But I don’t think somebody could take away my heart and make a cover song out of it. I don’t think someone could do me. I’m sorry. Could somebody do Bono? Springsteen? I mean, I couldn’t do Axl Rose–

God forbid, man.

I mean, I’m just saying. I’m not saying I’m in those guys’ league. I’m just saying that I think I have my own sound, and unfortunately as a guitar player there’s thousands and millions of them. But lead singers with a distinctive style and a way of writing lyrics that’s just not replaceable and that was something that was learned by Alter Bridge. You can’t just plug in somebody new and expect the same thing to happen. And for me it’s more about just name awareness. You know, people know me as the Creed guy. They see me and go ‘Scott Creed!’ I get recognised everywhere, but Scott Stapp people don’t know. But they’re gonna know this go-around.

Does that piss you off, at all?

Not at all, man. I did everything I ever said I was gonna do. I never said I would announce the breakup. I committed myself to spend 10 years of my life to be with them. I swore I’d never say anything negative about them in the press. I signed agreements. I spent Christmases, and all that. These are my friends. So that’s why the way their situation and the way they handled it shocked me to death first of all. But it was also like, my god, I was almost a dead man. It was almost Creed turned to greed. And you know, I had a role to play in that, because I’m a grown man. I can make decisions. I can tell a doctor ‘Hey, I’m listening to this doctor. I come from an athletic background, so my mentality, being a leader, I played quarterback, I played shortstop, I was always in a leadership role in the athletic teams I played on, and I approached that way in my music. And I was like ‘Shoot me up, and I’ll do it’. And I did and took whatever I needed to, to try and keep this band together. But really it was killing me.

You’re moving in a world that’s pretty superficial sometimes. You know, the music industry. It’s a fact, isn’t it? A lot of it’s about image. Sometimes if you’re not careful you get sucked into that way of living. That way of being.

Yeah, I guess. I just didn’t no what to do. [tape flip] It’s all about who you have in your life, man. And what people’s priorities are, and right now my priority is to enjoy what I do in all aspects. That’s why I’m doing interviews at 10 o’clock at night at home during my break. Because I’m finally getting to have a conversation to a journalist, instead of feeling like I’m taking a deposition. And just talking about the reality of the situation. And the thing is, I chose this life. I chose to be in the public eye. So I can’t expect everybody to act like I think I would expect myself to be. There’s things that I’ve expected myself to be that I have not lived up to. Obviously. It’s good to be the king, isn’t it?

Well, yeah, absolutely, but...

Did you hear what I said there? I said it was ‘good to be the king’. I was kinda picking on myself there. [That’s what Scott says in the sex tape, while, er, being serviced by one of the ladeez...] But you know, that’s where your head can get.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
MackaN
USER INFO »

“I did and took whatever I needed to, to try and keep the band together”

Bwahahaha. Now, everybody know that's not true, Scottie. Why lie to yourself?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Justify
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by MackaN) “I did and took whatever I needed to, to try and keep the band together”

Bwahahaha. Now, everybody know that's not true, Scottie. Why lie to yourself?

I think he is talking about the steroids and drugs he took so he could continue to perform for their concerts. We all know that he did that.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »

ahhhh the high road...
Old 04-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Justify
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) ahhhh the high road...

not sure what you mean?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Robin101
USER INFO »

Quote: Scott Stapp tells Hans Fruck that there's no such thing as Rock 'n' Roll 101

Maybe not. But there is such a thing as Robin101!!!!

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 04-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Heh, I think Scott was the only one in Creed interviews who came off as pretentious. Whatever. I didn't care for his dig at Alter Bridge, either. Thanks for posting the interview, though.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:00 AM   #10
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Heh, I think Scott was the only one in Creed interviews who came off as pretentious. Whatever. I didn't care for his dig at Alter Bridge, either. Thanks for posting the interview, though.

Yeah, but they both knock each other. I wish that they wouldn't though...
Old 04-11-2006, 02:10 AM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

^^^Agreed. It just gets old, I guess
Old 04-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
nagpo
USER INFO »

“But you know, damn it, I’m gonna get it. I’m gonna get it.”

awsome.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
Rocketqueen
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by nagpo) “But you know, damn it, I’m gonna get it. I’m gonna get it.”

awsome.
i would love to give it to ya, BUT IM ENVOUGING A SONG!!! NEVER NERER GOING GET IT NEVER NEVER NEVER GOING IT n
I Indeed Babtize you with water BUT ONE Mightier Than I Cometh The Latchet Of Whose Shoes I,am Not Worthy To Unloose He Shall Babtize You With The Holy Ghost And With FIREEEEEEEEEE John The Babtist You Never Count Your Money When YOUR Sittin At The Table There Will Be Time Enough To Count,em When The Dealings Done
Old 04-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #14
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Rocketqueen) i would love to give it to ya, BUT IM ENVOUGING A SONG!!! NEVER NERER GOING GET IT NEVER NEVER NEVER GOING IT n
Old 04-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
Creed7352
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Justify) I think he is talking about the steroids and drugs he took so he could continue to perform for their concerts. We all know that he did that.

yes, but everyone, and scott too, has said in the past that he was "forced" to take that stuff so "the other guys" could make money cause that was more important than his health. yet here he is saying that he's at fault cause he is the one that took them. he put himself there. which is it? he was forced? or HE opted to?