++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
josha31042
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Tonight Show

Someone care to fill me in on the cysts deal?
I knew he had had alot of problems, but I never knew anything about him actually HAVING surgery. He's seriously horrible now. I mean, yeah, the guy can still sing, and sing great.....but compared to his old self? Nowhere near it.
It'd be fine if it were some average vocalist, but this is Stapp.

The guy was one of the best rock vocalists in history, imo.
What in the WORLD happened? The vids of him singing in 2008 at Delray sound really great, so I don't know what could have changed from then 'til the beginning of this year.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
revisfoot
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by josha31042) Someone care to fill me in on the cysts deal?
I knew he had had alot of problems, but I never knew anything about him actually HAVING surgery. He's seriously horrible now. I mean, yeah, the guy can still sing, and sing great.....but compared to his old self? Nowhere near it.
It'd be fine if it were some average vocalist, but this is Stapp.

The guy was one of the best rock vocalists in history, imo.
What in the WORLD happened? The vids of him singing in 2008 at Delray sound really great, so I don't know what could have changed from then 'til the beginning of this year.

One word: cigarettes.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #18
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

not sure all the details but ya doctors found two cysts on his vocal chords a couple years back and had surgery on his vocals to remove them. I think this and how he is not taken care of himself over the years is the reason he vocals have gone south, just my honest opinion.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
Shar
USER INFO »

Well we all make valid points, but I also seem to think that not tourning in awhile and not really using his voice in a while may have something to do with it as well that and the cigs are NOT helping.

But I think that he will get back with a vocal coach and that it might just get better in time, who knows I'm not an expert.

However the 2 times I saw them live on this tour he sounded great, on some songs he sounded better in Dallas then he did in Bossier City and on others sounded better in Bossier City then Dallas so go figure!!!

ROCK ON
Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
imovercome
USER INFO »

I just watched it again streaming. It's fine. Tough song to pull off just like that. I was at the Toronto show. HE MELTED the set. So impressive.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #21
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Just watched it...& wow. It wasn't that Stapp was so bad either...only on a few parts was he 'cringe worthy' it was just he couldn't breathe because the song was 80x too fast!! I have no idea what the problem is with Flip but Stapp doesn't deserve all the blame here...that was pathetic. On top of that the sound was horrible, whoever mixed that needs to be fired.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #22
nagpo
USER INFO »

I'm usually the stapp defender on here but...that was the worst performance of creed i have ever seen. josha31042 was right, he sounded good last year at live performances. Even with his middle east tour. WHAT the HELL happened!? Does he even know he sounds that bad? God, I'd rather creed permanently break up than have him on stage doing....whatever that was. How embarrassing. No wonder creed fans get made fun of. Fuck, a deaf man could have sung that better.

That was embarrassing for creed and it's fans. What a horror.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #23
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Shar) but I also seem to think that not tourning in awhile and not really using his voice in a while may have something to do with it as well that and the cigs are NOT helping.
He does need to stop smoking. But him not touring in a while is no excuse... If his voice is shot after the US tour than he should not have gone on conan. How can he expect to do a world tour if his voice dies so easily?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

According to Stapp he just stopped smoking recently.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #25
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

Honestly i didn't think it sounded that awful. They seemed a little stiff to me, but it wasn't anything devastatingly bad.

It certainly isn't any worse than any of the other live videos we've seen.

I think the only thing really missing is all the edge and rasp from the recordings and a better balance between him and eric. If they had turned up eric's mic then it wouldn't have been so awkward because all you hear is stapp's harmony.

It's always awkward when the melody isn't hearable (is that a word?) and all you hear is an overpowering harmony, it will always sound weird.

I don't even think it was too fast, i just think stapp needs to freaking breathe lol.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
00iceman
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dark_Knight) the song was 80x too fast!!

How about Tremonti with his solo - I think his fingers surpassed light-speed trying to keep up!

I watched it again on YouTube and I really don't think Scott's vocals were bad at all. He seemed to hit all the high notes he attempted, and for not having much time to breathe, I'm impressed with the job he did.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #27
Chase
USER INFO »

Compare the Tonight Show performance with this video, which was done in June: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-CK5l_pVQ

That wasn't done that long ago. Somewhere in between now and then, he did something to mess up his voice. Maybe he blew it during the recording sessions? Or during the beginning of the last tour?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #28
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Compare the Tonight Show performance with this video, which was done in June: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-CK5l_pVQ

That wasn't done that long ago. Somewhere in between now and then, he did something to mess up his voice. Maybe he blew it during the recording sessions? Or during the beginning of the last tour?
That was heavily auto-tuned too lol I do agree there had to be something go wrong from time he met with Tremonti up until the tour started though...it makes no sense.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #29
Chase
USER INFO »

I honestly think that Stapp should've taken a folk singer approach... and reinvented what type of vocalist he was going to be. If you can come close to emulating what you sound like on an album, you're going to get a lot of crap. If he was able to fuse his lyrics with some gritty, Everlast-esque vocals... I think he'd have a pretty good formula. The only problem with that is the other guys probably wouldn't want anything to do with it.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #30
josha31042
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dark_Knight) Just watched it...& wow. It wasn't that Stapp was so bad either...only on a few parts was he 'cringe worthy' it was just he couldn't breathe because the song was 80x too fast!! I have no idea what the problem is with Flip but Stapp doesn't deserve all the blame here...that was pathetic. On top of that the sound was horrible, whoever mixed that needs to be fired.

Haha, agreed. And yeah, they have got to quit playing like they've just got high on meth. That was freakin' ridiculous, they need to save that speed for Alter Bridge. That was worse than Unforgiven in Houston.
I can't believe I put up with Conan long enough to listen to that....at 3 am too.