++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 01-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #46
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Isn't Miami in USA ??? I was to young when I was there, but I know from friends who'd been there recently.

Oh, there so is a comparisson, NJ. My point isn't the words used, but the actions. But that's not the point of this thread.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #47
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Well, the words used can indicate a lot about a person, Marcos. Maybe there is a cultural difference going on here, but words can be very hurtful. In this case, the words can speak louder than the actions.

You classified a genre or two of music by someone's skin color, rather than the type of music it is. That's racially insensitive and stereotypical. You don't classify other types of music that way, like rock, or jazz, or classical or eastern.

BTW, what does Miami have to do with anything? I'm missing the point of that reference.

Last edited by Dogstar : 01-27-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:10 AM   #48
RMadd
USER INFO »
I'm guessing he used to live in Miami. But yeah, never heard of Black Music nights. He does, however, bring up one of my favorite subjects, reverse discrimination. The double standards against whites, men, straight people, etc. are ridiculous. Recently, here in Missouri, there was an issue (I'm trying to recall it as best as I can) w/ prominent a black sports reporter or 2 referring to whites as "crackers". Though "cracker" may not be as offensive as "nigger", it is a racial slur, nonetheless.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 AM   #49
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I agree, reverse discrimination does exist. It's a shame that in 2004 we are still dealing with racism in any form. I wish people could understand that we are all humans, we all bleed red and the color of our shells doesn't determine superiority or otherwise. It's distressing how much people are judged by what they look like.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:26 PM   #50
JenRN
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I agree, reverse discrimination does exist. It's a shame that in 2004 we are still dealing with racism in any form. I wish people could understand that we are all humans, we all bleed red and the color of our shells doesn't determine superiority or otherwise. It's distressing how much people are judged by what they look like.
I agree.... racism sucks but it is a reality we all have to deal with unfortunately I have been a victim of it myself, blonde and white..... I have been called "Hilter's chosen", "cracker" and all kinds of other crap. I had to pay and still am paying for my education 7 years later, and those who are black got a free ticket just because they were black. I have mixed feeling about it all. It is a shame that we are dealing with this so many years later. I have black, white, asian, and hispanic friends and love them all the same. They are no different to me. I have not heard of "black music" nights at clubs around DC, that would be racist in itself. I love JAZZ music, and 70's disco which is cool to me. But modern rap forget it!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 01-27-2004, 03:22 PM   #51
njcreedite
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by JenRN) I agree.... racism sucks but it is a reality we all have to deal with unfortunately I have been a victim of it myself, blonde and white..... I have been called "Hilter's chosen", "cracker" and all kinds of other crap. I had to pay and still am paying for my education 7 years later, and those who are black got a free ticket just because they were black. I have mixed feeling about it all. It is a shame that we are dealing with this so many years later. I have black, white, asian, and hispanic friends and love them all the same. They are no different to me. I have not heard of "black music" nights at clubs around DC, that would be racist in itself. I love JAZZ music, and 70's disco which is cool to me. But modern rap forget it!
I paid student loans back for 10 years...so did my husband. So did a lot of Black, Asian and other people of color. My friend TR got a full scholorship to Princeton. He's African-American..but he also got a 1600 on his SAT's, and was an awesome Hockey player. (I'm part Algonquin indian. I'm enough to be classified and live on a reservation. My grandmother was called a half-breed and denied entry to restaurants, stores etc..Does this matter? Did I get a free ride? NO ) Income..not race is still the primary basis for financial aid. Yes, there is reverse discrimination. But it hardly compares to the discrimination aimed at non-whites for centuries. I'm sorry if you've been on the recieving end of some racial slurs. I've been there too. It just makes me that much more determined NOT to do the same back. Oh and by the way...the slurs hurled at me were by whites.
For those of you who don't know what I look like..I'm a very white looking white woman. I was called things because of my Indian blood, my religion (catholic...this happened in Southwest Missouri), and mostly because of the friendships I've had with people of other races. Am I touchy about this subject? Oh Yeah!!! It annoys me to think that people care more about skin color than what's inside a person. Same goes for looks. Beautiful people get away with more than ugly...thin more than fat..it's all the same and it's all WRONG!!! As Dogstar said..."we all bleed red and the color of our shells doesn't determine superiority or otherwise." It doesn't determine worth.
We were both singers. Chris Cornell The first time we played he came to this little club and he told me that it was really good and he was thankful that I was there and that I was who I was, or something really nice, but the whole time he was saying this, he didn't realize but he was standing under a black light, and his teeth were glowing and his eyes were glowing. I remember it as my first conversation with Satan ..."
Old 01-27-2004, 04:16 PM   #52
JenRN
USER INFO »
Linda I see your point and I feel the same. BUT..... I have seen several times people getting rewarded with free educations and healthcare etc... because of the color of thier skin. I was frusterated I had to and still pay for my education had NO HEALTHCARE the whole time I was in college and worked 2 jobs to make ends meat when other's got a free ride. Yes we all bleed the same I agree and like I said before I have friends at all levels of society, I am the farthest thing from being prejudice, but I think eveyone deserves the same oppurtunity in life. If you slack off and get into crime no matter what color than you lye in the bed you made. If you work hard and put forth an effort, you should get what you work for NO MATTER WHAT COLOR YOUR SKIN IS!!!!!! If you do the crime you do the time, I don't care how much money you make or what color you are. I think people of our generation should not have to pay for things that happened many years ago to blacks etc... How did we get into this anyways? I thought this was about music?

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 01-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #53
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: but I think eveyone deserves the same oppurtunity in life.
Yes, but the fact is not everyone gets what they deserve. Some are denied simply because of how they look. As Linda said, fat vs. thin, black vs. white. And it is a reality we have to deal with.

Quote: If you work hard and put forth an effort, you should get what you work for NO MATTER WHAT COLOR YOUR SKIN IS!!!!!!
"Should" is the operative word there. Many people have put for the effort and worked hard but have been denied because of the color of their skin. And it's way more subtle in today's society than it was years ago.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 PM   #54
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
I'm just saying racism go both ways...

and my remark about Miami is that (no, never lived there) I have friends who said they went to "black music" bars/clubs. that's it.

Anyway, I don't think black music is offensive at all: if you go to a place where they play samba, axe and bossa-nova, it will "Brazilian Music" night, won't it? just my 2 cents, though. But that was just to clear if you're wrongly thinking I'm dislike people who are different than me.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:47 PM   #55
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Yes, but the fact is not everyone gets what they deserve. Some are denied simply because of how they look. As Linda said, fat vs. thin, black vs. white. And it is a reality we have to deal with.

"Should" is the operative word there. Many people have put for the effort and worked hard but have been denied because of the color of their skin. And it's way more subtle in today's society than it was years ago.

Ditto!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:53 PM   #56
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: and my remark about Miami is that (no, never lived there) I have friends who said they went to "black music" bars/clubs. that's it.

Ok, just didn't know what you meant, there, heheh. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #57
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
no problem! I should have explained better.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:11 AM   #58
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
In my country, Aboriginees are given more money on welfare if they tick the: "Are you an aboriginee or Torris Strait Islander?" box on their form. It's caused alot of controversy amongst Australia's people.

Some believe that it is so the government can invoke jealousy amongst the rest of the population towards the Aboriginies because they get more money.

Personally, I think money is just a payoff to keep their mouths shut. We invaded their way of life around 200 years ago and treated them like s**T. We even pulled apart their families because we thought that we could do a better job raising their children. And who knows how many were killed because we were ignorant. Now I didnt do anything personally, but as a Christian, I feel such a grief and discust for our past; what we have done, and are continuing to do. I'm a little bit of an activist in this area, cos it really makes me mad.

There are some really angry Aboriginies here, but many are such beautiful and gracious people its just awful that they have this history of abuse behind them and are still denied an official apology from the government. So they get more money to keep them quiet. Makes me mad.

I was firstly brought up in a really cool area. There were so many different races, I was what we call a half cast and I didnt get hassled. I never once had to ask my mother why someone's skin was different to mine cos that's just how it was. I'm grateful for that.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 01-28-2004, 02:48 AM   #59
Said Eyes
USER INFO »
I wouldn't worry about it, Marcos. I get the feeling here people would be offended if I described someone as black. Which is crazy if the person is black (even more crazy if they arent!!)

Last edited by Said Eyes : 01-28-2004 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:02 AM   #60
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Said Eyes, race is a very sensitive issue in our country. There are some black people who find black as a noun perjorative. Many prefer African American.