++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 07-31-2003, 02:13 AM   #61
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by velocityidp
1) Creed themselves said they had, ostensibly, free rein on Weathered.

2) They've had free rein on all their videos for Weathered.

Conclusion: Weathered was, for all intensive purposes, exactly what Creed wanted to put out.

That's what they say publicly, but I don't buy it. They're not going to piss off their label. Wind-Up also had Dust For Life, and when that band bitched publicly about some promises that weren't kept regarding touring and support, I believe, Dust For Life suddenly was stuck in limbo and in a deal they can't get out of. Meanwhile, Wind-Up is yanking their chain. They shut down DFL's web site and they haven't been heard from since late 2001 or early 2002. Unless a band is bankrolling their own project, no artist has free rein with a label.

Quote: You assume that Creed makes music only for money -- pretty cynical, and I don't think that's true.

If Weathered was indeed exactly what Creed wanted to put out as you said, then it is all about money, otherwise, that record would have been much harder.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:16 AM   #62
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Yeah, and nobody hears them. I know you're one of those underground hip-hop guys, but we're talking about the "mainstream" rock industry. There's nothing inherrently wrong with it, just like there's nothing inherrently wrong w/ the underground hip-hop industry.

As soon as hip-hop becomes less underground and more above ground, are you going to ditch it JUST because of that?

By the way, Creed rose to fame as an underground band... you and I both know Creed is an exception to the rule -- a band with a huge grassroots fanbase. Now we can argue how that fanbase has changed over the last few years, but that fact remains. I hope Creed decides to go back to its roots.
By the words of men who have no ground

Can't sleep beneath the trees of wisdom
When your axe has cut the roots that feed them
Forked tongues in bitter mouths
Can drive a man to bleed from inside out

- "What If", Creed
Old 07-31-2003, 02:21 AM   #63
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Quote: If Weathered was indeed exactly what Creed wanted to put out as you said, then it is all about money, otherwise, that record would have been much harder.

Or perhaps that's just what they wanted to write? I mean come on... Like I said, just because something sounds a bit "poppy" doesn't instantly mean some bigwig exec force-fed it down an artist's mouth.

Indeed, Bullets, Creed's most hard song, was on the disc and promoted as a single. So I guess that was all about $$ too?

- "What If", Creed
Old 07-31-2003, 02:21 AM   #64
Lechium
USER INFO »
As soon as hip-hop becomes less underground and more above ground, are you going to ditch it JUST because of that?

Nah I still listen to Jurassic 5, and such.

By the way, Creed rose to fame as an underground band... you and I both know Creed is an exception to the rule -- a band with a huge grassroots fanbase. Now we can argue how that fanbase has changed over the last few years, but that fact remains. I hope Creed decides to go back to its roots.

Do you mind telling me a rock band that did not come from underground? Hell even Limp Bizkit has started as an undergroudn band. And most bands had been signed to major labels because they had following -- following is what showed labels that bands have potential. creed is not an exeption from the general rule.
They are a band with big following whom dcritics and many other people cant stand. You know that also decribes Limp Bizkit. Really.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:23 AM   #65
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
<b>.... but we're talking about the "mainstream" rock industry. There's nothing inherrently wrong with it ... </b>

You don't seriously believe that, do you? I can't listen to the radio anymore because everything sounds the same regarding mainstream rock. There is absolutely no room for diversity on rock radio. You go from one state to another and you hear the same playlists because they are all pre-programmed by the few owners controlling the purse strings. The system is seriously flawed.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:25 AM   #66
Lechium
USER INFO »
agreed.
only good radio left are small college stations, and internet radio: http://www.shoutcast.com/ <-- gogogo
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 AM   #67
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: [b]Originally posted by velocityidp
Or perhaps that's just what they wanted to write? I mean come on... Like I said, just because something sounds a bit "poppy" doesn't instantly mean some bigwig exec force-fed it down an artist's mouth. &nbsp;

Come on. Do you really think the label had no influence whatsoever on their writing? Please. Not to mention that they rushed the crap out of it, probably to fill some contractual obligation.

Quote: Indeed, Bullets, Creed's most hard song, was on the disc and promoted as a single. So I guess that was all about $$ too?

Yeah, and when it went nowhere, all the softer songs were pushed: DSD, MS, OLB...Did you see them try to push Freedom Fighter? No.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:29 AM   #68
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
You don't seriously believe that, do you? I can't listen to the radio anymore because everything sounds the same regarding mainstream rock. There is absolutely no room for diversity on rock radio. You go from one state to another and you hear the same playlists because they are all pre-programmed by the few owners controlling the purse strings. The system is seriously flawed.

I know where you're coming from, but eh... there's flaws in everything. I just don't want to be so quick to judge everything and anything.

I work in the semiconductor industry, and oh boy there are big problems everywhere you look. But think what it would be like if the industry didn't exist? Products wouldn't get to market, new technologies would not be exploited for the benefeit (and detriment) of mankind.

Think of a world without a rock industry. Sure, it sounds good, but you'd only rarely hear from bands outside your own state. I agree it's a beast and it is constantly being fed -- we just need to find ways to tame the beast, not kill it.

- "What If", Creed
Old 07-31-2003, 02:34 AM   #69
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I'm not saying we need to kill the rock industry, but as long as people accept being spoonfed by some media moguls who think they know what people want, then the industry is in trouble. The media have a lot of power over many people who are either too stupid to realize they can speak volumes with their pocketbooks or just too lazy to bother taking the steps necessary to send a signal to the industry that they aren't happy.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:35 AM   #70
Lechium
USER INFO »
Think of a world without a rock industry. Sure, it sounds good, but you'd only rarely hear from bands outside your own state. I agree it's a beast and it is constantly being fed -- we just need to find ways to tame the beast, not kill it.

There are some bands taht are signed to indie labels and yet are pretty popular. Not popular to teh point everyone knows them, but you can alwasy find people who are into them too, and finding their CD's in most record stores isnt problem.
Think about Fugazi (AFI used to be like that till they singed to major label) as an example.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:30 PM   #71
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Lechium
There are some bands taht are signed to indie labels and yet are pretty popular. Not popular to teh point everyone knows them, but you can alwasy find people who are into them too, and finding their CD's in most record stores isnt problem.
Think about Fugazi (AFI used to be like that till they singed to major label) as an example.

OK, but pretty much any band that starts with a small label and becomes popular will go to a larger label. That's just the way it goes -- not just in the music industry. Creed started on their own label (created by themselves) and when their music was becoming popular entirely under its own volution, they joined a "real" label (albeit small).

I guess you made my point when you said "Not popular to teh point everyone knows them, but you can alwasy find people who are into them too, and finding their CD's in most record stores isnt problem." That's the whole difference.

- "What If", Creed
Old 07-31-2003, 06:58 PM   #72
Lechium
USER INFO »
<b>OK, but pretty much any band that starts with a small label and becomes popular will go to a larger label. That's just the way it goes -- not just in the music industry. Creed started on their own label (created by themselves) and when their music was becoming popular entirely under its own volution, they joined a "real" label (albeit small).

I guess you made my point when you said "Not popular to teh point everyone knows them, but you can alwasy find people who are into them too, and finding their CD's in most record stores isnt problem." That's the whole difference. </b>

A lot of bands stay on indie labels even after they hit it big. NOFX for example.
Bands that switch to major labels are easier to notice, but there is vast semi underground scene which is dominated by bands who can sign to major label in a blink of an eye, but choose to stay indie in order to have creative freedom.
It really seems like your knowlinge of modern music is limited to mainstream...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:29 PM   #73
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Quote: It really seems like your knowlinge of modern music is limited to mainstream...

It is, honestly.

Certainly there are some that refuse to go "mainstream" because they will lose some creative control. But really, if you are an artist, one of your goals (mainstream or not) is to have as many people as possible see/hear your work. Those that want total control don't have as large an audience -- there's a give and take.

All I've been trying to say is: yeah the industry isn't perfect, but it's stupid to try and kill it; just try to reform it.

- "What If", Creed
Old 07-31-2003, 10:04 PM   #74
Lechium
USER INFO »
<b>It is, honestly.

Certainly there are some that refuse to go "mainstream" because they will lose some creative control. But really, if you are an artist, one of your goals (mainstream or not) is to have as many people as possible see/hear your work. Those that want total control don't have as large an audience -- there's a give and take.

All I've been trying to say is: yeah the industry isn't perfect, but it's stupid to try and kill it; just try to reform it. </b>

Yeah you want people to hear YOUR song.

It is a common story when artist gest singed to major label, records and album, label says it's not radio friendly enough, so they make artist re-record it with a production crew that label appoints. The result is little bit of artist and a lot of label.

Some artists have creative control at major labels, but these are ones with a very specific and very own target audience, i.e. Sigur Ros, Mr. Bungle.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:46 PM   #75
Unforgiven Fan
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Unforgiven Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgiven Fan
Quote: Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
wtf is sculpture rock?

sculputure rock can be described has having the one guitar as a main focus that builds the structure, shape, and tone of the song, not the bass, drums, and nessarly the vocals, I think.