++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 04-05-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Thank You, Kurt

February 20, 1967. A day that the world changed without even noticing, in small Aberdeen Washington.

April 4, 1994. It is a day that will forever be imbedded into the minds of many as the day an era ended.

April 8, 1994. The day an electrician found the body of Kurt Cobain in his Seattle home that he shared with wife Courtney Love and daughter Francis. Reports state the cause of death as an "apparent self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head."

It seems almost sureal being here at home, for Spring Break, on the day that Kurt Cobain, one of the most loved figures in music, died. In four days, it will be the aniversary of the day Kurt's lifeless body was found. As many of you know, I live in small-town Montesano, only 10 miles east of Aberdeen, and there is so much love, respect, and devotion to the man who pioneered a way for countless numbers of musicians. I know his mother, Wendy. I know his uncle, Leland. I know people who knew him. There is so much history of Kurt and Nirvana all around me.

Post you memories of Kurt and Nirvana here. It has been 10 years since his death, but his presence is still felt; the ghost of Saint Kurt.

Kurt's Death Certificate
King County Medical Examiner's Press Release
The Shotgun
The Note

For more on the last days of Kurt Cobain, visit http://www.justiceforkurt.com/investigation/documents/

Goodbye, Kurt.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"

Last edited by Higher_Desire : 04-05-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Amen to that

...I'd also like to thank Layne Staley, who also died the same date as Kurt, just two years ago. R.I.P., both of you. I hope you're jamming together somewhere. You both are missed. .
Old 04-05-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Lechium
USER INFO »
hate me all you want, but Nirvana is WAY WAY overrated.

Decent band and all, but for some reason everyone claims that they started the new sound aka 'grunge'. Come on. Their first album was a below average punkish record, highly influenced by DC area punk of late 80ies. 'Nevermind', their first good album, and supposed start of the new sound was released AFTER AIC and Pearl Jam released Facelift and Ten respectivly.
Nivana was a decent band, that scored a huge hit, was an MTV darling, so they got even more famous, and also had a 'martyr' figure.

All the lists of top 100 guitar playes of all time with Kurt in top 10 are bogous -- he was a decent guitar player, but that's where it stops. Same goes for him being called an awesome singer -- his voice had fit his songs, we all got so used to, but other three big grunge bands had MUCH more proficient singers. Lets just give credit where it's due.

Basically -- good songs, good band, but just because they were big and than their singer killed themselfs it doesnt make them larger than life band that can be put on the level of say Led Zeppelin.

flame away now...
Old 04-05-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I happen to agree with you for the most part, Lechium, but today it's all about remembering, I guess. I've always been way more partial to Alice anyway, hehe, as if you didn't know that already. Timing had a lot to do with Nirvana's success. And while technically, Kurt wasn't the best vocalist or guitar player, he did have another just-as-important quality -- feeling. His voice drew me in from the get-go. There was just a ton of emotion and honesty in it, from what I could tell, and I was hooked. I'm not even a punk fan, really, but Nirvana's music touched me deeply, as did Layne and Alice In Chains' stuff. I'm grateful for what they gave us and I just wish they didn't have to leave us so soon.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Lechium) Basically -- good songs, good band, but just because they were big and than their singer killed themselfs it doesnt make them larger than life band that can be put on the level of say Led Zeppelin.
They didn't become "larger than life" because their lead singer killed themselves. It was because their music influenced so many people, partially because it was different. Their music spoke to a generation, much like the Beatles, Zepplin, Doors, or Van Halen. Kurt was respected and loved when he was alive, and respected and loved after he died.

And, we don't have to start hating you because of this post. We already hate you.

H-D

Old 04-05-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Nirvana did something right because we've got two bands ripping them off: Seether and Puddle of Mudd.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:00 PM   #7
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Lechium) hate me all you want, but Nirvana is WAY WAY overrated.

Decent band and all, but for some reason everyone claims that they started the new sound aka 'grunge'. Come on. Their first album was a below average punkish record, highly influenced by DC area punk of late 80ies. 'Nevermind', their first good album, and supposed start of the new sound was released AFTER AIC and Pearl Jam released Facelift and Ten respectivly.
Nivana was a decent band, that scored a huge hit, was an MTV darling, so they got even more famous, and also had a 'martyr' figure.

All the lists of top 100 guitar playes of all time with Kurt in top 10 are bogous -- he was a decent guitar player, but that's where it stops. Same goes for him being called an awesome singer -- his voice had fit his songs, we all got so used to, but other three big grunge bands had MUCH more proficient singers. Lets just give credit where it's due.

Basically -- good songs, good band, but just because they were big and than their singer killed themselfs it doesnt make them larger than life band that can be put on the level of say Led Zeppelin.

flame away now...

Nirvana is overrated, but that doesn't mean they were crappy. Sure, I don't like Nirvana and I think Kurt sings terribly and plays the guitar terribly, but he did write some good lyrics and tunes. Pearl Jam is much better than Nirvana, though.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #8
RMadd
USER INFO »
especially Puddle of Mudd.... now, I like them and all, but their lead singer seems to be going for the Cobain look or something

Old 04-05-2004, 10:07 PM   #9
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by BearFan) especially Puddle of Mudd.... now, I like them and all, but their lead singer seems to be going for the Cobain look or something

Well, this is what ticks me off: Puddle of Mudd and Seether are ripping off Nirvana. Not only vocally, but musically. No critic has said anything about it. While Creed has their leadsinger who sounds somewhat like Eddie Vedder (He doesn't even try to dress like him. Hell, Vedder never wore leather pants) and BAM, we've got ourselves a Pearl Jam rip-off band. The music sounds nothing like Pearl Jam's. It's pure crap!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:11 PM   #10
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) And, we don't have to start hating you because of this post. We already hate you.

Hey, speak for yourself ...
Old 04-05-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
Lechium
USER INFO »
Nirvana was the most pop oriented of all grunge bands. They had tonns of radio friendly not too heavy songs, with very straighforward lyrics. They did get more interesting in In Utero, so we can only guess what could come next, but Nevermind everyone loves so much is just a poppy verion of punk common for local underground of early 90ies.

P.S. if you take word 'pop' as an inslut -- sucks to be you
Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #12
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
I wasn't much into Nirvanna
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 04-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #13
creedsister
USER INFO »
Julie i was not a big fan either, but i did have a lot of respect for kurt he was gifted person, And i feel for his child who he left you could tell she rocked his world, But The Great and the Gifted never die They Live On through others, as u can see kurt influnced many others, And i feel in my heart Hes Rocking On At this very moment, in a better Place, ROCK ON
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 04-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #14
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Lechium) Nirvana was the most pop oriented of all grunge bands. They had tonns of radio friendly not too heavy songs, with very straighforward lyrics. They did get more interesting in In Utero, so we can only guess what could come next, but Nevermind everyone loves so much is just a poppy verion of punk common for local underground of early 90ies.

P.S. if you take word 'pop' as an inslut -- sucks to be you
Personally, I don't label music. There's far too many genres that are similar and run into each other. Pop-Country, Rap-Metal, Blues, R&B... things evolve drift into each other. To me, music is music. If they are "poppy," it doesn't matter, because they were the first to make it big, inspire other bands in the genre, and they added to it, before it was dubbed as "grunge." And, no, pop is not an insult to me.

H-D

Old 04-06-2004, 01:23 AM   #15
shiver
USER INFO »
As far as Nirvana goes, the only CD I have of them is the Unplugged. It's an awesome cd. I respect what Kurt did as a musician, lyrically and musically. No matter what anybody thinks Nirvana left an impression on the music world, and with a little help from some friends (Alice, Pearl Jam, et. al), they brought in a new era of music, and thankfully saved us from the hair bands. I say thank you, Kurt, for saving us from the hair, and for those that haven't listened to Unplugged, give it a try. But what do I know, I like St. Anger.