++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-09-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
Stappishot
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Scott's AIM Interview...

PeteInMusic: hey scott! you there?
ScottStapp73: how you doing?
ScottStapp73: let's do this
PeteInMusic: i'm good - so your new album just came out over the Thanksgiving holiday
PeteInMusic: did you have to spend the holiday promoting the album?
PeteInMusic: or did you get to hang with your family?
ScottStapp73: No, I spent it with my son and my family - but I'm back to promoting now
PeteInMusic: cool - i read that you sung the national anthem at the Nascar Miami Ford 400 a week ago - what was that like?
ScottStapp73: Well, I was a little nervous that I'd forget the words
ScottStapp73: but I didn't! It was pretty cool when the jets flew overhead
PeteInMusic: nice
PeteInMusic: that must of been a career highlight
ScottStapp73: most definitely!
PeteInMusic: Being a solo artist is a first for you. As your album has just hit stores, and you enter a new chapter in your life, what feelings are going through you right now?
ScottStapp73: I'm excited about the future...
ScottStapp73: and i'm just relieved the album's finally out - my solo career has begun!
ScottStapp73: whoops, just spilled a soda
ScottStapp73: no major damage
PeteInMusic: ha! that would of sucked - congrats on the album - it's a big accomplishment - what was the hardest part of making the transistion from being in a band to a solo artist?
ScottStapp73: there really wasn't a big transition
PeteInMusic: no?
ScottStapp73: i didn't change the way i created - just the players are different
ScottStapp73: in my opinion all equally talented
PeteInMusic: where did your new band come from?
ScottStapp73: old friends - they toured with us and we stayed in touch
PeteInMusic: they were in another band before?
ScottStapp73: yeah, Goneblind
PeteInMusic: i heard that jamie foxx was going to make a guest appearance on the new album?
ScottStapp73: we had run into each other at a Miami Heat game - we had talked about him dropping by the studio to hang out
ScottStapp73: and rumors turned that into him being on the record...
ScottStapp73: it didn't actually happen but it definitely woulda been fun if we had been able to work it out
PeteInMusic: for sure - is there anyone you would like to collaborate with one day - who's at the top of the list?
ScottStapp73: oh definitely -
ScottStapp73: u2 ... jimmy page ... sting ... and can't forget dave grohl!
PeteInMusic: that's a great list - ever meet any of them?
ScottStapp73: all of them at one point or another
PeteInMusic: ahhh...the benefit of being a rockstar =)
ScottStapp73: yeah you don't even know...
PeteInMusic: have you ever been star-struck meeting someone else?
ScottStapp73: dave grohl
ScottStapp73:
PeteInMusic: no kidding - i heard he's a really laid back guy
ScottStapp73: yeah me too
PeteInMusic: anyway - the new single, "the great divide" is a great song - it definitely doesn't seem to stray at all from the Creed sound - was that done on purpose?
ScottStapp73: the creed sound is my sound
ScottStapp73: so it was only natural that i'd bring it to my solo career as well
PeteInMusic: makes total sense
PeteInMusic: the whole creed break-up was pretty rocky - the rest of the band + the press wasn't very nice at times
PeteInMusic: what was it like on a personal level to go through all of that?
ScottStapp73: it hurt very much - but without that experience in my life, i would not be where i am today
ScottStapp73: and been able to create The Great Divide
PeteInMusic: so, in a way, you see it all as a positive thing?
ScottStapp73: very
ScottStapp73: and i'm all about the future now
PeteInMusic: I know you've gone through your share of health problems in the past too - at what point did it really get bad, and what did you do to get past it?
ScottStapp73: it was bad for a couple of years
ScottStapp73: and with the involvement of the best medical care and exercise i was able to overcome my illness -
ScottStapp73: and i'm just trying to live one day at a time ...
PeteInMusic: is there any more advice you want to give to fans that might have gone through the same things you were going through?
PeteInMusic: i know part of what you were going through had to deal with a medication called Prednison..
ScottStapp73: get help when you need it
PeteInMusic: was it hard to ask for help when you were wrapped into the peak of Creed's success?
PeteInMusic: there must of been so many outside pressures...
ScottStapp73: no, it wasn't hard -
ScottStapp73: i did ask my friends for help, and they were more concerned about money than my health
ScottStapp73: but that's the past, everyone makes mistakes, i know i've made plenty
PeteInMusic: so looking into the future - what are your tour plans?
ScottStapp73: the tour will begin in late feb / early march next year
ScottStapp73: we'll be doing a handful of surprise shows all over the country
ScottStapp73: in smaller venues - we'll be doing songs i wrote in the past, as well as the new album
PeteInMusic: how much of your live show will be composed of creed songs?
ScottStapp73: i'll mix it up - the entire new album, and then we'll probably do between 6-8 of my creed songs depending on the night
PeteInMusic: that's great to hear - i wasn't so sure if you were going to play the old stuff
ScottStapp73: i can't think of any reason not to play the songs that i've written
ScottStapp73: that i enjoy playing and that i still want to perform for the fans
PeteInMusic: the only reason i said that because -
PeteInMusic: your former bandmate, mark tremonti was quoted as saying that the 2 of you had an agreement - if the band wasn't together anymore, it would be unfair to Creed fans to still perform Creed songs.
ScottStapp73: the agreement was just, if one of us died
ScottStapp73: there was also an agreement, we'd never announce a breakup - but I guess Mark interpreted that in a way that would benefit him (like he did with that issue you mentioned)
PeteInMusic: why didn't you want to announce a break-up?
ScottStapp73: let's talk about the present - but to answer your question - we were four young college kids who made a pact that we were going to stay together forever
ScottStapp73: and never announce a breakup, to preserve our legacy...
PeteInMusic: there are still people that label your music as Christian Rock - do you see that as a negative genre of music to be put into - or are you ok if people perceive you this way
ScottStapp73: i can't effect people's perceptions - i can just be who i am
ScottStapp73: and i don't care how they label me
PeteInMusic: well, for the record, i really dig the new album - track 10 is my favorite - "broken" - it sounds like your next big rock ballad!
ScottStapp73: thank you very much -
PeteInMusic: do you get influenced by other music you listen to when writing?
ScottStapp73: i don't listen to music
PeteInMusic: really? none at all?
ScottStapp73: i spend so much time writing , creating and rehearsing my own
ScottStapp73: that when i'm alone - i prefer silence
PeteInMusic: what about movies, do you make time for watching a movie now and then?
ScottStapp73: i love watching movies! the last movie i saw was The Score -
ScottStapp73: DeNiro, Ed Norton, and Brando
ScottStapp73: shot by Scorsese - brilliant!
PeteInMusic: how about your favortie movie of all time?
ScottStapp73: The Godfather Trilogy -
ScottStapp73: and Scarface...
PeteInMusic: into the mob movies eh?
ScottStapp73: yeah
ScottStapp73: they're so insightful
PeteInMusic: so looking into the future, what goals do you want to accomplish in your life - even beyond this solo release?
ScottStapp73: i want to coach my kid's high school football team
ScottStapp73: and win some state championships!
ScottStapp73: and of course next year's tour!
PeteInMusic: ok - one final question that i have to ask - would you like to see Creed get back together one day?
ScottStapp73: right now it's just something i can't really give an answer to
ScottStapp73: i'm just focused on the new album
ScottStapp73: peace everybody - thanks!
PeteInMusic: thanks Scott - take care
ScottStapp73: thanks to all the fans out there - you rock!

PeteInMusic works in our radio department and has never won a state football championship.

What did you think about this AIM Interview? Send us your feedback.

if(window.sb_id) {sb_end();}Smartbox™ Suggestions
What is this?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
my only bitch about that interview:

The Score was most certainly NOT directed by Martin Scorsese...(sigh)...it was directed by Frank "The Voice Of Yoda And Miss Piggy" Oz...
Old 12-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
LOL, thanks for posting that, Stappishot.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Stappishot
USER INFO »
Why all of a sudden he wants to collaborate with Grohl after saying all that shit about him having a little dick on NATIONAL, TV!

If Stapp wants to collaborate with Grohl, he's gonna have to try hard.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Stappishot
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) LOL, thanks for posting that, Stappishot.

Ur Welcome.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Just to note, if anyone asks, yes this interview is real. It can be found on AOL's Music site:

http://music.aol.com/artists/aim_cel...ew/scott_stapp

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 12-10-2005, 04:11 AM   #7
RMadd
USER INFO »
so if i add him to my buddy list, i can chat w/ him whenever? lol

Old 12-10-2005, 07:13 AM   #8
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: ScottStapp73: i'll mix it up - the entire new album, and then we'll probably do between 6-8 of my creed songs depending on the night
PeteInMusic: that's great to hear - i wasn't so sure if you were going to play the old stuff
ScottStapp73: i can't think of any reason not to play the songs that i've written
ScottStapp73: that i enjoy playing and that i still want to perform for the fans

Those songs arent 'his Creed' songs...they are Creed songs!!!!!
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 12-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
Robin101
USER INFO »
First of all, thanks for posting the interview.

He's always maintained that he will perform Creed songs on tour. Perhaps my view on this is selfish, but I never saw Creed live so I have no objections to that - I'd love to hear them.

I found it interesting that he made a statement about the break-up. Stapp's always said that the guys announced the split without his consent.

I think Mark and Flip announced it from Mark's home.
Perhaps this is Stapp's way of 'getting one back' at them.

As for the remark about Grohl - tongue-in-cheek.

Take Care

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 12-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
titan9
USER INFO »
Pretty good interview overall, although I have to say that I wasn't happy with a couple of parts. I'm getting tired of him acting like "the Creed songs are his and his alone". As far as we know, he only wrote the lyrics for the Creed songs and the vocal melodies, but Mark wrote the actual MUSIC. Therefore, imo, the songs belong to both Mark and him. About this agreement...Scott claims that it would only come into play if one of them died, but Mark obviously tells it differently. There's no telling who to believe, but I'm leaning toward Mark. Lastly, as I've said since the issue of Scott playing Creed songs on tour came up, I am completely against it. I did not have the opportunity to ever see Creed live, and that is something I regret. However, I think it is disrespectful to Mark, Flip and Brian, as well as some Creed fans(including myself), for Scott to play these songs on the tour, particularly 6-8 of them. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go to a Stapp concert when he comes to my area, but I will not be cheering when he plays a Creed song. Matter of fact, if he even touches a song like MOP or One.....I'll walk out. The only people who should be playing those songs, imo, is the original Creed. And considering they will probably never get back together, those songs should never be played live again. Not by Stapp, not by AB. Only by Creed.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Pretty good interview overall, although I have to say that I wasn't happy with a couple of parts. I'm getting tired of him acting like "the Creed songs are his and his alone". As far as we know, he only wrote the lyrics for the Creed songs and the vocal melodies, but Mark wrote the actual MUSIC. Therefore, imo, the songs belong to both Mark and him. About this agreement...Scott claims that it would only come into play if one of them died, but Mark obviously tells it differently. There's no telling who to believe, but I'm leaning toward Mark. Lastly, as I've said since the issue of Scott playing Creed songs on tour came up, I am completely against it. I did not have the opportunity to ever see Creed live, and that is something I regret. However, I think it is disrespectful to Mark, Flip and Brian, as well as some Creed fans(including myself), for Scott to play these songs on the tour, particularly 6-8 of them. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go to a Stapp concert when he comes to my area, but I will not be cheering when he plays a Creed song. Matter of fact, if he even touches a song like MOP or One.....I'll walk out. The only people who should be playing those songs, imo, is the original Creed. And considering they will probably never get back together, those songs should never be played live again. Not by Stapp, not by AB. Only by Creed.

Love your words!
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 12-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
Robin101
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Don't get me wrong, I'll still go to a Stapp concert when he comes to my area, but I will not be cheering when he plays a Creed song. Matter of fact, if he even touches a song like MOP or One.....I'll walk out.

What if he starts the gig with a Creed song.......will you walk out and come back in when he finishes, or leave completely?

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 12-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #13
bobben
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Don't get me wrong, I'll still go to a Stapp concert when he comes to my area, but I will not be cheering when he plays a Creed song. Matter of fact, if he even touches a song like MOP or One.....I'll walk out.

Well...MOP is maybe (together with WAWO) the most Scott Stapp-song than any of the other Creed songs!!! It's almost his early-years-bio written as a song...
Into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
An actor out on loan.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #14
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) Those songs arent 'his Creed' songs...they are Creed songs!!!!!
well, in all fairness, he did write the lyrics and, if i'm not mistaken, all the tracks were published by Stapp/Tremonti (or Tremonti/Stapp... check your liner notes), so he does have every legal right to perform them, and every legal right to say they're his.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) well, in all fairness, he did write the lyrics and, if i'm not mistaken, all the tracks were published by Stapp/Tremonti (or Tremonti/Stapp... check your liner notes), so he does have every legal right to perform them, and every legal right to say they're his.

Well...he has legal rights about his those songs, and also Tremonti, but its not my point, I think now he has his own songs to perform on tour, AB also performs their own songs, not Creed or MF4 songs.
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )