++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 01-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #136
RockGoddess
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Stapp Confesses

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) Your pretty freaking naive if you think that Hanson wouldn't condone anything that kept Stapp stepping on stage every night. I've read the damn Rolling Stone interview. For months I've heard everyone here call him a liar. For months they said there would be no album..and if by chance one did appear it would suck. Now the guy has come clean and admitted his problems...only catch is he said some not-so-nice things about his ex-bandmates. If Tremonti had made the statement about something being said in a management meeting....no one here would disbelieve him. I think all of you are pretty naive if you think that Mark Tremonti and Scott Phillips aren't capable of being just as big of an asshole as you claim Scott Stapp is. What makes them so freaking special that they aren't capable of being jerks themselves? Just cause they have been nice to you? Hell yeah they are nice to you. You bought a ticket or you bought a CD.

I'm actually glad that Stapp is away from them. It appears to have had a positive impact on his life, though I'm sure most of you freaking people wouldn't see it that way. Regardless of what any of you think, I wish the man much luck in dealing with what he's going through....its called COMPASSION.

Believe it or not, I do understand what you are saying. I can only offer my experience with a girlfriend, who I considered very close, that became addicted to crack cocaine. I took her every incoherrent phone call. I picked her up when she called me and couldn't drive. My husband, a police officer, had her deliberately pulled over and kept safe until he could arrive to take her home. But there came a time when her addiction began to infiltrate my home, my life, my happiness. I have three children and their protection and safety is my number one concern. Finally, one night, I had to lay it all out with her. I told her to never contact me again. If she got clean and sober my door would be open, but until then she was not permitted in my life.

Does that make me an asshole? I don't want to assume what Mark or Flip were thinking, or what point they were at, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had reached that same point with Stapp.

I will be thrilled for Stapp if he can make his life better; not only for himself but for his son, and his fiance.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #137
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Robin101) I have to agree with a majority of what you say Prophet. After reading the interview I have a lot of sympathy with him - even though the sympathy is a result of his problems caused by his own actions.

When I read articles involving AB it seemed the majority of the interviews were based around 'Stapp stories'.

It does seem like a majority of people believe whatever Tremo and Flip say and I do find that pretty naive - there's definitely more to the split than what we've heard.

Take Care

Well, the only people that Alter Bridge can blame for that is themselves. They are the ones who chose to promote themselves in that way. You gotta wonder if because they continually harped on what Scott did or didn't do, that eventually, no one wanted to interview them unless they were willing to rip on Stapp. They can't blame anyone but themselves for that. They seemed more willing to talk about Stapp than they were about themselves. I wonder if they will make that mistake the second time around....I hope they learned from it.

Creed was one of my favorite bands. I've read here and at other websites that Tremonti was the real creative genius behind Creed. If I support Stapp in his efforts to get clean and change his life, I'd be just as supportive of any of the others who had the same problem. But, you will never convince me that Stapp wasn't an active participant in what made Creed....Creed. All you have to do is read the lyrics to an Alter Bridge song....and there is no way you can convince me that Mark Tremonti provided more than a line or a word in some instances. That's how much of a difference there is between the two....sorry that's just my opinion. You will never convince me that Stapp wasn't a participant in Creed's success.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #138
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) I think all of you are pretty naive if you think that Mark Tremonti and Scott Phillips aren't capable of being just as big of an asshole as you claim Scott Stapp is. What makes them so freaking special that they aren't capable of being jerks themselves? Just cause they have been nice to you? Hell yeah they are nice to you. You bought a ticket or you bought a CD.
it seems to me most people appear to take Tru & Flip's side for a couple of reasons:
1) Stapp visibly had prooblems during the band's demise: allegations of drug use (even had these allegations been proved false, an accusation against someone never looks good), and of course the infamous chicago show.

2) AB came out w/ their debut pretty much on schedule. Stapp didn't. This, naturally, leads people to think that AB is perhaps more reliable than Stapp, even if the 2 are unrelated.

3) Comments to the media: AB came across as more frank, realistic, and honest (if not wholly motivated by a desire to utterly trash Stapp's public image) than did Scott. The singer, at least for the first while, was talking about potentially getting back together someday. AB, meanwhile, continued to take stab after stab at the fallen Stapp.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) I'm actually glad that Stapp is away from them. It appears to have had a positive impact on his life, though I'm sure most of you freaking people wouldn't see it that way. Regardless of what any of you think, I wish the man much luck in dealing with what he's going through....its called COMPASSION.
I honestly do feel for Stapp. The article revealed a much deeper insight into what he's dealt with over the past 3 years or so. He's certainly in my prayers, and he does seem to finally be on the right path. However, being apart from Flip & Tru didn't do him much good for the first year or two. The article mentions his problems while in the studio recording for the Passion album. At this same point in time, if I recall correctly, he was appearing on talk shows, discussing how he'd cleaned up and found God and recommitted his life to Him. This, however, only finally appears to be happening.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #139
Robin101
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) Well, the only people that Alter Bridge can blame for that is themselves. They are the ones who chose to promote themselves in that way. You gotta wonder if because they continually harped on what Scott did or didn't do, that eventually, no one wanted to interview them unless they were willing to rip on Stapp. They can't blame anyone but themselves for that. They seemed more willing to talk about Stapp than they were about themselves. I wonder if they will make that mistake the second time around....I hope they learned from it.

Creed was one of my favorite bands. I've read here and at other websites that Tremonti was the real creative genius behind Creed. If I support Stapp in his efforts to get clean and change his life, I'd be just as supportive of any of the others who had the same problem. But, you will never convince me that Stapp wasn't an active participant in what made Creed....Creed. All you have to do is read the lyrics to an Alter Bridge song....and there is no way you can convince me that Mark Tremonti provided more than a line or a word in some instances. That's how much of a difference there is between the two....sorry that's just my opinion. You will never convince me that Stapp wasn't a participant in Creed's success.

There are members on this board who have obviously taken sides and if any negative comments are said about their 'preference' then they will defend them - sometimes with blind loyalty.

I happen to prefer Stapp's music and his contributions to Creed but I'm also a huge AB fan. I don't believe evertything Tremo and Flip say and neither do I in regards to Stapp - I just try and form an opinion on what I understand.

There is the possibilty that Stapp was 'hard done by' but in the eyes of a lot of fans it was a case of 'the boy who cried wolf'. It was interesting to hear what he had to say in the RS interview. He seemed honest and humble and a lot of what he stated he has said before.

After listening to ODR and TGD I happen to think there is more Creed in Stapp's music and I do believe that Stapp was the lyrical force behind Creed. However, some people dislike Stapp to the extent that they don't want him to have much credit. I've always been slightly curious when Tremonti insists that the split was a positive thing because Stapp always got the last say with Creed in the creative department - perhaps Stapp had a bigger input with the music then what we are led to believe. Just a thought!!

Take Care

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 01-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #140
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Robin101) After listening to ODR and TGD I happen to think there is more Creed in Stapp's music and I do believe that Stapp was the lyrical force behind Creed. However, some people dislike Stapp to the extent that they don't want him to have much credit. I've always been slightly curious when Tremonti insists that the split was a positive thing because Stapp always got the last say with Creed in the creative department - perhaps Stapp had a bigger input with the music then what we are led to believe. Just a thought!!

Take Care
I'll agree with that in regard to Weathered. That album was so much softer than the previous two records and, after having listened to the Great Divide, that was a direction Mark and Flip didn't want to pursue, IMO. I think Mark was getting frustrated musically with the direction Scott, and probably Wind Up, wanted Creed to go. It's funny, but Weathered had the least staying power of the Creed albums for me.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #141
titan9
USER INFO »

Same here, Dogstar. While I like quite a few of the tracks off Weathered, it in no way compares to Human Clay and My Own Prison. I still listen to MOP and sometimes HC on a regular basis, but haven't listened to Weathered in months. I don't have any desire to listen to the whole album because if I want to hear the tracks I really love("Bullets", "Freedom Fighter", "Weathered", "Stand Here With Me") I'll just listen to them on my MP3 player. It's not that Weathered was a horrible album...it just wasn't up to par with the previous two, imo.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 01-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #142
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

^^^Agreed.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #143
Robin101
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Same here, Dogstar. While I like quite a few of the tracks off Weathered, it in no way compares to Human Clay and My Own Prison. I still listen to MOP and sometimes HC on a regular basis, but haven't listened to Weathered in months. I don't have any desire to listen to the whole album because if I want to hear the tracks I really love("Bullets", "Freedom Fighter", "Weathered", "Stand Here With Me") I'll just listen to them on my MP3 player. It's not that Weathered was a horrible album...it just wasn't up to par with the previous two, imo.

Yeah, it's funny...I always thought Weathered was my favourite but now I seem to put HC on if I want to listen to Creed. I think it's their strongest album - musically, lyrically and vocally - IMO Stapps voice was at its peak on this album.

I'm surprised you're not a My Sacrifice fan - just under the (rather weak) assumption that you're a WWE fan.

Take Care

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #144
Robin101
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I'll agree with that in regard to Weathered. That album was so much softer than the previous two records and, after having listened to the Great Divide, that was a direction Mark and Flip didn't want to pursue, IMO. I think Mark was getting frustrated musically with the direction Scott, and probably Wind Up, wanted Creed to go. It's funny, but Weathered had the least staying power of the Creed albums for me.

I agree. I still consider Weathered a pretty solid album, even with all the aggro that came with making it. Just goes to show what a talented unit they were to create a decent third album - always difficult at the best of times.

Take Care

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 01-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #145
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RockGoddess) Believe it or not, I do understand what you are saying. I can only offer my experience with a girlfriend, who I considered very close, that became addicted to crack cocaine. I took her every incoherrent phone call. I picked her up when she called me and couldn't drive. My husband, a police officer, had her deliberately pulled over and kept safe until he could arrive to take her home. But there came a time when her addiction began to infiltrate my home, my life, my happiness. I have three children and their protection and safety is my number one concern. Finally, one night, I had to lay it all out with her. I told her to never contact me again. If she got clean and sober my door would be open, but until then she was not permitted in my life.

Does that make me an asshole? I don't want to assume what Mark or Flip were thinking, or what point they were at, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had reached that same point with Stapp.

I will be thrilled for Stapp if he can make his life better; not only for himself but for his son, and his fiance.

I've heard about you, and what you have said in the past about Stapp. Sorry if I might take issue with the sincerity of your last statement...that's just my opinion and nobody has to agree with it...generally nobody does.

P.S. Though alot of you think it sucked....Weathered has sold six million copies....700,000 copies in its first week of release. And Bullets....I read somewhere.....only made it to number 22 on the singles chart, so it wasn't exactly a number one single.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #146
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »

I think musically Weathered is as solid as the others but it does lack in lyrical content, when judged in the standards of MOP and HC.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:25 AM   #147
RMadd
USER INFO »

<~~ ditto. as such, i rank HC slightly ahead of MOP (perhaps solely for my emotional attachment to it), and Weathered beneath both.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #148
titan9
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) I think musically Weathered is as solid as the others but it does lack in lyrical content, when judged in the standards of MOP and HC.

I agree, I do think Weathered is solid as far as the music is concerned. But I still think that the guitar work is better on MOP. As far as lyrics are concerned, I think I like MOP and HC equally. Both have some amazing lyrics. Weathered's got some good stuff as well, but, again, not as good as the first two.

If I had to rank the Creed albums, it'd be like this: MOP>HC>Weathered. And if I factored in Alter Bridge and Stapp, it'd be like this: MOP>HC>ODR>TGD>Weathered.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #149
facelessmike
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) And if I factored in Alter Bridge and Stapp, it'd be like this: MOP>HC>ODR>TGD>Weathered.

What a concept! But, if I did that I would go crazy because it would be constantly changing.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #150
Vliegs
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) I've heard about you, and what you have said in the past about Stapp. Sorry if I might take issue with the sincerity of your last statement...that's just my opinion and nobody has to agree with it...generally nobody does.

P.S. Though alot of you think it sucked....Weathered has sold six million copies....700,000 copies in its first week of release. And Bullets....I read somewhere.....only made it to number 22 on the singles chart, so it wasn't exactly a number one single.

I'd heard about what Stapp's said and done in the past before this article came out. Sorry if I doubt the image and sincerity he's trying to portray in the article.