++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 02-04-2003, 04:44 AM   #1
Lechium
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Carbon copy cd's and live shows (and no it's no "bashing" thread)

I had picked up Weathed just recently and truth to be told is a pretty major dissapointment... I mean it's ok, and songs are all written nicely... but... sounds a lot alike previosu stuff, and parts where they tried to experiment just feel... well... "unnatural". Seems like guys are just capable of doing same old same old. And they should really stop trying to "experiment" cuz they are just tryign to prove a point (that they can devesrify their music), but lets face it Creed are no Tool to write complex epics, and never will be.

Lechium

P.S. Oh yeah I had seen them live too... another dissapointment. See I saw them live TWICE this year (long story why), and if im not mistaken setlist differend by a song or two, and most songs were played in pretty much same order both concerts! No covers, no nothing, just carbon copy shows =
Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 AM   #2
Said Eyes
USER INFO »
At least you gave the CD a shot. A lot of people just say it's crap without even listening to it. I also think it's a very fine line between being repetetive and having a bands 'sound'. Respect ++ for at least giving it a go.

Its a fair comment about the shows. I too, saw two shows in their latest tour, setlist changed for maybe 3 or 4 songs. What I can say in defence is they've got a big show (I liked it enough to go back) planned out and they don't change it much as far as setlists go, but then I think they want someone to come around at least once every tour. So if you've gone in 98 you've got a different show to 99, to 2000 and 02 so on. Then in 2004 they'll come around with a new CD and a new show.

When they had 1 cd they played a few covers. Now they've got 3 CDs under their belts, and a good 40 song catalogue, why would you play covers? Tremonti (guitarist fyi) says he prefers to play their own stuff, can't argue with that.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:53 AM   #3
hide_tremonti
USER INFO »
Add to the fact that Wind-Up didn't let them do many covers...

Old 02-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
Xterminator27
USER INFO »
Re: Carbon copy cd's and live shows (and no it's no "bashing" thread)

Quote: Originally posted by Lechium
<b>I had picked up Weathed just recently and truth to be told is a pretty major dissapointment... I mean it's ok, and songs are all written nicely... but... sounds a lot alike previosu stuff, and parts where they tried to experiment just feel... well... "unnatural". Seems like guys are just capable of doing same old same old. And they should really stop trying to "experiment" cuz they are just tryign to prove a point (that they can devesrify their music), but lets face it Creed are no Tool to write complex epics, and never will be.

Lechium

P.S. Oh yeah I had seen them live too... another dissapointment. See I saw them live TWICE this year (long story why), and if im not mistaken setlist differend by a song or two, and most songs were played in pretty much same order both concerts! No covers, no nothing, just carbon copy shows = </b>

how many times have u listend to it? When i first got it i hated it, but about at the 4th time i ran through the entire CD i lved all teh songs. DOnt just hear it once and give up.

Then shut the hell up and eat your damn lemons!

BUY MY MERCHANDISE
http://www.cafepress.com/xterminator27
Old 02-04-2003, 09:19 AM   #5
Marty
USER INFO »
When I first got it, My Sacrifice was the only thing I'd list to. Now I list to the cd straight through (sometimes skipping Signs or One Last Breathe, Signs guitar isn't very good, and One Last Breath is SOOOO overplayed)
________
Marijuana Seeds

Last edited by Marty : 09-17-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 AM   #6
shunammite
USER INFO »
I'm glad you told me it wasn't "bashing" because otherwise I might have THOUGHT IT WAS!!!!!

Truly truly beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone finds Creed Beautiful. But those who do are pretty SERIOUS ABOUT IT!

Even as a rabid fan, I did not love Weathered on first hearing, but now I put it on a par with the first two. Which I also did not love on first hearing. The artist packs so much into his art, and the "receiver" is not on his wavelength naturally, you have to WANT TO UNDERSTAND to do so.

It's the same with interaction between people, it doesn't come naturally to us to see things from the point of view of the other person. But that's what "just give love to all" is all about.

I cannot imagine how anyone can say that Weathered is not DIFFERENT from the earlier works. Each album is completely different from the other two to me, and yet each with Creed's "stamp".

Very serious, no "tongue in cheek" smirks. That is why they are hated by some. I think it is dangerous to look right at our deepest pain and wrestle with it, those who don't like Creed sense this I think, "six feet from the edge" is too dangerous, get away get away they say.

But some people are PUSHED THERE, and THERE THEY ARE and they need to hear someone else TALK ABOUT IT, when you TALK ABOUT THE DEMONS they become smaller. When you have others standing there with you.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
NCCOOLJ98
USER INFO »
I don't recall Tool, ever selling 10 million copies of any of their cd's. Creed has probably sold morecd's than tool ever has.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:50 AM   #8
shunammite
USER INFO »
Why put down one to raise another? (Although I did read Maynard doing that in an interview once, it was Fred Durst he was dissing, too! I hope I never see the day Stapp disses another artist in print. He has dissed the "media" but I don't think he ever attacked anyone personally. However he's human, he may eventually. But the idea is right, to do good not by attacking evil but by doing more good.)

I love Tool.

Whether or not something is very popular is not really a guide to how Good it is.

Some people think most of their fellow men are low MORONS and therefore whatever is "popular" must be CRAP.

But you know that is not true.

However sometimes it IS true. Sometimes things get "popular" just because the herd gets spooked in a particular direction, "bandwagon appeal". But sometimes things get popular because they strike a deep common chord that every person has, if they are honest enough to admit it. And they strike that chord helpfully.

Tool isn't "popular" in the way Creed is because on the surface they seem so ANGRY. But I hear the same ideas in Lateralus that I hear in Weathered. More complex, "deeper" maybe, but in the end it's about HOW to "just give love to all". Maynard goes more into why it's so HARD.

I know the pieces fit, I saw them fall away. Wear your grudge like a crown, unable to forgive all your scarlet lettermen, desperate to control. Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed brothers, tell us the truth now, but tell it nicely.

Giving ourselves to each other to rest our heads on, I'm covered with skin and it peels and it just won't heal, please come now, I think I'm falling, holding on to all I thought was safe. Just give love to all.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:27 PM   #9
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Well said, shunammite!
Old 02-04-2003, 12:35 PM   #10
Lechium
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by NCCOOLJ98
I don't recall Tool, ever selling 10 million copies of any of their cd's. Creed has probably sold morecd's than tool ever has.

Sales dont mean anything my friend. According to your logic we all should listen to Britey Spears.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by hide_tremonti
Add to the fact that Wind-Up didn't let them do many covers...

Is that really true? I"m just curious because Pearl Jam, which have more albums than Creed, always seem to work in a cover or two, even as late as 2000, and they have been around a while. I have one of those official bootlegs of a Boston show from 2000 and there is a Neil Young cover. I personally love it when bands do covers, especially when it's unexpected.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #12
Lechium
USER INFO »
Uhhh I was about to write pretty much the same things Dogsar did. I have one of German bootlegs and it has 2 covers in it, whcih I find to be coolest part of teh show really.

Covers are a much needed break from bands material, cuz if band keeps on repetign same old songs every single show, than these songs become hacknied. That's why Beck didnt play "Looser" for longest time, PJ still boycotts "Jeremy" and Tool had played "Sober" like twice in last two years.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:34 PM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yeah, I agree. I think covers are a real treat for the fans. I saw Jerry Cantrell on his headlining tour twice last fall and in one of the shows, he and William Duvall from Comes With The Fall did this jazz/blues improv guitar playing as part of the encore. It was one of my favorite moments of the show. It kicked so much a**! And you could tell they were really having fun doing it. The crowd went nuts over it!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:44 PM   #14
shunammite
USER INFO »
I am so relatively new to rock in this generation, I'm not really qualified to talk about this. It was because of my oldest son's mental illness that I got drawn back to the world of Rock, it's another way to talk about God besides "religion".

I knew the music of the sixties and early seventies and that's it.

But have lately come to love Creed Metallica AIC Tool Incubus and a few other things here and there.

But re covers, sometimes I think another artist can do a MUCH BETTER JOB than the person who wrote it.

The BYRDS were MUCH BETTER than Dylan on his songs. Dylan should kiss their feet for the interpretations they did, and he probably DID!

I have Cash's Solitary Man, it has a song by Nick Cave, The Mercy Seat, it sends CHILLS UP YOUR SPINE, I haven't heard the Nick Cave version but it CAN'T be as good! I notice Cave sings with Cash on his new cd, so he must have liked it too.

I think Creed's I'm Eighteen and Riding on the Storm are are really awesome. I wonder if it's just not feeling "established" enough that kept them from doing covers. Needing to feel strong themselves first.

I heard the original of Metallica's So What a few days ago, Het put a lot more into it.

If a band does a cover because they believe in it, it becomes theirs too. Some artists never do anything BUT covers, Frank Sinatra for one.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #15
hotforscott
USER INFO »
I think Creed kicks ass. I like all of their songs, all of their albums, I rocked at every show I went to. I have never been dissapointed and I anticipate the DVD and next album VERY much. I enjoy the band in every possible way.