++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Stapp and the Florida Marlins looking to work together

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...r-scott-stapp/

Florida Marlins president David Samson will attend Super Bowl XLIV with Creed singer Scott Stapp

by Joe Capozzi
For Super Bowl XLIV, Marlins president David Samson will host a special guest Sunday in the team’s suite at Sun Life Stadium – lead singer Scott Stapp of the rock band Creed.

“I’m looking forward to sitting with him and thanking him for the tickets,’’ said Stapp, who lives in Palm Beach County.

Stapp, a lifelong baseball fan who was the best man at pitcher David Wells’ wedding, said he hopes to enter into a partnership with the Marlins, similar to one the team has with rapper Pitbull.

Nothing has been finalized and talks are still in progress, but don’t be surprised to see Stapp singing the National Anthem one day or maybe even singing at a Super Saturday concert sometime in the future.

Stapp hopes to get involved in functions that benefit both his charity, With Arms Wide Open Foundation, and the Florida Marlins Community Foundation.

“We are talking about things now,’’ said Stapp, who sang “God Bless America” at Game Four of the 2004 World Series. “I want to make a relationship to see how my family and I can be a part of an organization as great as the Florida Marlins. I think Mr. Samson and I want it to progress organically.’’

Stapp already has been to the Marlins’ offices for preliminary talks.

“We’ve sat around the table talking about collaborating. We are contemplating a number promotional opportunities,’’ said Sean Flynn, the Marlins’ vice president for marketing. “We’re looking forward to developing this with Scott and see where it goes.’’

How did Stapp – who won a Best Song Grammy in 2001 as co-writer of the hit “With Arms Wide Open’’ – end up connecting with Samson?

Samson is a passionate music fan. He has already met his idol, singer Elvis Costello. So he didn’t waste a chance when he recognized Stapp one day two years ago.

As Stapp recalls, “On Christmas vacation in 2008, we were in Aspen, at a small airport, snowed in. I saw this gentleman with his family. He walks up to me, ‘Scott, hiya doing? Would you like to sing the National Anthem at one of our games?’

“I said, ‘Excuse me, I don’t know who you are.’ It was the president of the Marlins. We traded some texts and out relationship started there.’’

Stapp said he’s also friends with former Marlins players Kevin Millar and Jeff Conine.

Stapp returned last week from a weeklong trip to Haiti, where he joined volunteers from the Boca Raton-based Spanish River Church.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
My Sacrifice
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Stapp and the Florida Marlins looking to work together

Maybe he talk them into increasing the payroll.