++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 11-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #16
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I pop that CD into the car player a lot. It's a great driving song.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 AM   #17
RMadd
USER INFO »
hmmm... looks like we have a general consensus here that Mars Hotel pretty much kicks ass.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:20 AM   #18
SummerGirl
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) hmmm... looks like we have a general consensus here that Mars Hotel pretty much kicks ass.

Agreed!!! "Mars Hotel" is my favorite MF4 song EVER!!! I love it!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #19
facelessmike
USER INFO »
Ive also really gotten into MF4...theyre really good. Cant believe I never heard of them before Myles joined AB. I listen to SS just as much as ODR or TGD...Hopefully Myles will have some more input on the next AB record and collaborate with Tremo to create some really awesome material!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #20
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: (Originally Posted by facelessmike) Ive also really gotten into MF4...theyre really good. Cant believe I never heard of them before Myles joined AB. I listen to SS just as much as ODR or TGD...Hopefully Myles will have some more input on the next AB record and collaborate with Tremo to create some really awesome material!

Did I write this post? lol Exactly the same thing ...I think about it...
Btw, Im listening to 'Dont walk away' and boy... this is awesome!

Quote: hmmm... looks like we have a general consensus here that Mars Hotel pretty much kicks ass.

Yeah, I like this song ...but my favorite is WHITE FLAG!
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 11-30-2005, 07:59 PM   #21
scrit
USER INFO »
Mf4 is probably my favorite band, every song is great. Both cds are amazing even though they sound VERY different. My favorite song by them is probably believe, but it could be carry on. I love the way he uses a delicate almost whisper in those songs, then builds to something much louder.

-U2
Old 12-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #22
RMadd
USER INFO »
Myles' "scream" at the end of Summergirl is chilling. he reaches way up into the clouds to hit a high one, then, once you think he's about to break, he goes even higher. i remember reading somewhere (not sure if it was on here, or some writer's review of AB) that Myles is merely a rip-off of Cornell. first off, Cornell is terribly difficult to merely rip off. you gotta have pipes to hit the notes he does, and hold them for so long. and, I must say, Myles is certainly no hack. not only does he get up there on various songs in M4 and AB, but he also hit the high notes live. also, covering songs by a band like Zeppelin, and trying to mimic Robert Plant's voice, that's pretty exceptional. i'm sure that, back in the day, there were prolly some people who compared Cornell's voice to Plant in Zep's heyday.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #23
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) Myles' "scream" at the end of Summergirl is chilling. he reaches way up into the clouds to hit a high one, then, once you think he's about to break, he goes even higher. i remember reading somewhere (not sure if it was on here, or some writer's review of AB) that Myles is merely a rip-off of Cornell. first off, Cornell is terribly difficult to merely rip off. you gotta have pipes to hit the notes he does, and hold them for so long. and, I must say, Myles is certainly no hack. not only does he get up there on various songs in M4 and AB, but he also hit the high notes live. also, covering songs by a band like Zeppelin, and trying to mimic Robert Plant's voice, that's pretty exceptional. i'm sure that, back in the day, there were prolly some people who compared Cornell's voice to Plant in Zep's heyday.

actually, when Soundgarden first broke onto the scene in the late 80s, there was one name to which Cornell was consistantly being compared: Ronnie James Dio. The Cornell comparisons that consistantly dog Myles, that's how the Dio comparisons followed Cornell for years. (Dio, by the way, is a fan of Cornell). If you don't think that Cornell sounds a bit like Dio, listen to Rainbow's "Man On The Silver Mountain", then listen to Soundgarden's "Outshined".

As for Myles, he was heavily influenced by Plant, Buckley, and the recently deceased Chris Whitley...contrary to some opinion, Cornell was in NO WAY any influence on Myles...however, both Myles AND Cornell has worked with vocal coach Ron Anderson...but Myles holds the note in "Summergirl" for twenty seconds, and that's longer than any of the Cornell high notes, including "Call Me A Dog", which is about 14 seconds..."Save Me", also twenty seconds...and Myles certainly has more control over his higher register than Cornell does these days...now, Cornell in 1991, I'm not too sure...

Another interesting note, though, on Cornell, he is actually a BARITONE. He has trained himself to go into the higher register with the tenors (along with other baritones like Geoff Tate and David Coverdale), but he's a natural baritone...Myles is definitely a tenor, but, over the last few years, has been putting effort into developing his lower register, which he exhibits on "Broken Wings", "Burn It Down", and "Save Me"...

Last edited by evyllsummer : 12-02-2005 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-02-2005, 03:23 PM   #24
RMadd
USER INFO »
<~~ dayamn! that's what i call useful information!
i certainly agree that, today, Cornell is hardly what he used to be. i was about to put that (or something to the effect of, right now, Myles is better), but i didn't want anyone driving by my house and leaving flaming bags of dog poo on my porch.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #25
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Cornell in 91 was insane. The notes he hit routinely were nuts. Beyond the Wheel, Birth Ritual, just to name a few.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #26
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Cornell in 91 was insane. The notes he hit routinely were nuts. Beyond the Wheel, Birth Ritual, just to name a few.

yup...the first time I heard Cornell was in 1989, my freshman year in college...someone loaned me "Louder Than Love", and my first reaction was that I thought that, on "Hands All Over", he sounded like old school Bono...but, when I heard the intro to "Loud Love", I was hooked...and, for the record, Audioslave does a pretty good live cover of "Loud Love"...Cornell still has the range for that song, but he doesn't have the control or sustain that he had back in the day...still, though, Cornell is one of my favorites ever and always will be...and, yeah, 1991 was Cornell at his strongest and most versatile...both TOTD and Badmotorfinger were recorded that year...

Quote: certainly agree that, today, Cornell is hardly what he used to be.

Yeah, he just doesn't have the control or sustain that he had back in the day...if you hear the Soundgarden song "Loud Love", then listen to Audioslave's cover, you can hear a BIG difference...but I still love Cornell...current damaged Cornell is STILL better than 90% of what's on the radio right now...and, in comparison to Myles, Cornell couldn't pull off FTR or SM these days...now, in 1991, he may have been able to...
Old 12-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #27
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by evyllsummer) yup...the first time I heard Cornell was in 1989, my freshman year in college...someone loaned me "Louder Than Love", and my first reaction was that I thought that, on "Hands All Over", he sounded like old school Bono...but, when I heard the intro to "Loud Love", I was hooked...and, for the record, Audioslave does a pretty good live cover of "Loud Love"...Cornell still has the range for that song, but he doesn't have the control or sustain that he had back in the day...still, though, Cornell is one of my favorites ever and always will be...and, yeah, 1991 was Cornell at his strongest and most versatile...both TOTD and Badmotorfinger were recorded that year...
Yup...Louder Than Love sold me as well. Even a Cornell not at the '91 level is a bazillion times better than some of the singers out there today.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #28
titan9
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Yup...Louder Than Love sold me as well. Even a Cornell not at the '91 level is a bazillion times better than some of the singers out there today.

Agreed. I'll listen to the Cornell of today above Chad Kroeger, Brad Arnold or *insert "rock" vocalist here*. Cornell is definitely one of my top 5 favorite vocalists, probably only second to Myles.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #29
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
man... I'm priviledged for reading Chris' posts! lol Seriously... you should have a music column up somewhere!

and yeah, me definately likes Myles is working on his lower register. I don't know much of Cornell though, except for Audioslave. I never got into the early 90's music. Actually I can't seem to like it...

Once I used to care about Aerosmith, Guns and Nirvana, but I admit it was by pressure of media. I only started caring for music after I heard Higher on the radio. So pretty much, my musical history begins there.

And I know, shame on me... I have to dedicate sometime to get to know the old stuff.

And I'm working on that, my SRV live @ Montreaux DVD came in today!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #30
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay)
Once I used to care about Aerosmith, Guns and Nirvana, but I admit it was by pressure of media. I only started caring for music after I heard Higher on the radio. So pretty much, my musical history begins there.

And I know, shame on me... I have to dedicate sometime to get to know the old stuff.
You're young, you still have time
Quote: And I'm working on that, my SRV live @ Montreaux DVD came in today!!!
NICE!