++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
creedm1981
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
THE VOICE OF STAPP???wtf????

I have long been a fan of scott stapp. I saw him in lemoore california about 2-3 years ago when his solo album was out. he was excellent.I now have to say his voice is decaying... what is up with him not being able to carry even the smallest of notes anymore. The album sounds good but live i just do not think he has it anymore. Do you guys think his solo album ruined his vocal chords.. or alcohal................
Old 11-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
Chris98GT
USER INFO »
Re: THE VOICE OF STAPP???wtf????

Clearly he's not taking care of himself. The fact that he still chain-smokes is proof of this.

They did their best to digitally tune his voice on Full Circle, but you can still hear the difference.

He absolutely butchered a few of the classics when I saw them live this year. It was very disappointing. He used to sound great live.

Last edited by Chris98GT : 11-04-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

A lot of vocalists don't take good care of their voices, it's too easy not to, especially if you are living like a rock star.

Nevermind smoking, even alcohol is awful for your vocal chords. When you sing your vocal chords swell up and are sometimes even sore depending on how good your technique is, then the first thing you do is drink a beer or take a shot. Ever poured alcohol on an open wound? The only difference here is that it sucks all the moisture out of your vocal chords, which is what they need to properly repair themselves.

It's just so important to take those things in moderation, as much as that sounds like a health class banner. If you don't eat right and don't take care of yourself you will get sick, you get sick the first thing you do is lose your voice, you sing through that you do damage, you drink alcohol you do damage, you smoke you do damage, etc.

Surgery also will radically change what your voice sounds like. Just look at stapp or rod stewart or david draiman, etc.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Agent D
USER INFO »

How many of these threads do we need? Really? It's not 1998. Stapp's vocal muscles have been through a lot. Deal.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
pricey.21
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Agent D) How many of these threads do we need? Really? It's not 1998. Stapp's vocal muscles have been through a lot. Deal.

Spot on! I haven't even been on here long and I'm already getting really bored of hearing all this.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
rebsgirl
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Agent D) How many of these threads do we need? Really? It's not 1998. Stapp's vocal muscles have been through a lot. Deal.

Amen
Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
creedm1981
USER INFO »

well if your bored with it it is a reality stapp is not a voice anymore.. damn i have heard karaoke done better than him... I just don't think this was a good idea if he was not going to come on the tour without being a gameface player.. he seems like he just goes as it is... however very dissapointing.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
shiver
USER INFO »

I haven't been the biggest supporter of Scott Stapp, but let me take a stab. I was at a concert about 3 weeks ago, and he sounded great. It surprised me, cause I had been listening to some stuff on youtube and didn't think it sounded good at all. And the thing was, when he talked, he sounded hoarse, like he was about to lose his voice, so I kept waiting for him to crack...nothing. Yeah they've been making people sound good in the studio for years (taylor swift, lead singer for puddle of mudd, etc.) but sometimes it just depends on the night. Singing is like anything else...Sometimes you got it going on, and sometimes not so much. You got him on a bad night. I got a good night. And yeah his voice is different. It's different than when I saw them in '02. We've heard all the stories. Alcohol, drugs (prescribed or not), smoking will do it, age, stress, whatever. I guess what I'm getting at is give the guy a break. Either that or let's see what you got.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Chase
USER INFO »

He's human, he's been through a lot. These types of things happen to a lot of people. He's not the only singer to go through vocal issues like this. If I remember correctly, one of the reasons why Brett Scallions left Fuel is because he was having all sorts of vocal problems.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Bthuff80
USER INFO »

I will agree that the tonite show wasnt that great at all. But how many times have you watched one of your favorite bands on that kind of stage and it was Disappointing??? Alice in Chains was on the tonite show last week, and they didnt sound all that great (I saw them live in philly a couple months ago and they were incredible). I firmly believe that bands dont take doing shows like that AS seriously as an actual live show and they dont prepare as well for them. (even though they probably should because its promoting their album)

And I dont want to hear that he's been through alot. Perfect example is Chris Cornell. He's been belting out songs since the late 80's starting with temple of the dog, then soundgarden, then a solo project, then Audioslave, and now another solo project....add in surgery to his voice box because he literally blew out his own voice and he still sounds incredible live. I saw time in April in Philly which was the 7th time ive seen him live and he sounded better than ever. If you want any better evidence, check out his performace on 9/11 at the Tonite Show. He sounded awesome.

I truly think Stapp is done and doesnt have the voice anymore. His voice sounds AWESOME in the album, but how much of it was edited and enhanced digitally?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Bthuff80
USER INFO »

I saw him*** in April in Philly
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) He's human, he's been through a lot. These types of things happen to a lot of people. He's not the only singer to go through vocal issues like this. If I remember correctly, one of the reasons why Brett Scallions left Fuel is because he was having all sorts of vocal problems.
That was actually proven false. That was just the guitarist being a douche.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
rebsgirl
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by creedm1981) well if your bored with it it is a reality stapp is not a voice anymore.. damn i have heard karaoke done better than him... I just don't think this was a good idea if he was not going to come on the tour without being a gameface player.. he seems like he just goes as it is... however very dissapointing.

Then don't listen if it is that disappointing to you. Creed has plenty of fans who will support them no matter what. They just came off a grueling tour for us - the fans. I saw them in Atlanta and they were awesome. I saw them again in Birmingham, and I could tell that Stapp was tired. But of course he was tired - they were all tired! But I didn't enjoy it any less. They have such an awesome stage presence and put so much heart into their concerts. Anyway, we shouldn't go to a concert to hear them sound perfect. We should go to hear them live...mistakes and all.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
00iceman
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by rebsgirl) Then don't listen if it is that disappointing to you. Creed has plenty of fans who will support them no matter what. They just came off a grueling tour for us - the fans. I saw them in Atlanta and they were awesome. I saw them again in Birmingham, and I could tell that Stapp was tired. But of course he was tired - they were all tired! But I didn't enjoy it any less. They have such an awesome stage presence and put so much heart into their concerts. Anyway, we shouldn't go to a concert to hear them sound perfect. We should go to hear them live...mistakes and all.

Amen!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
Dimitris
USER INFO »

i dont like this forum because some people here are more haters than fans