++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

View Poll Results: Favorite popular "Grunge" band?
Soundgarden 7 30.43%
Alice in Chains 2 8.70%
Pearl Jam 7 30.43%
Stone Temple Pilots 4 17.39%
Nirvana 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #76
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) Sorry Temple of the Dog isn't my kind of stuff, even though Cornell is in it.

The point i am tryin to make is that why have Pearl Jam lost so much success? Thts all i want an answer to.That is the point i am trying to make, and i bet even you would admit PJ's best stuff is in the early 90's.

pearl jam's two best albums IMO are vs and no code which by memory came out in 93 and 96 respectfully. i don't think their last two albums are as good as the ones before it but its still a universe ahead of the crap called "rock" these days like jet, nickelback and three days grace. temple of the dog is the single best thing anyone from that group ever did, the emotion is just so obvious and cornell particulary in "say hello 2 heaven" is just on fire!
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 02-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #77
creedsister
USER INFO »
New Again~~Braid Paisley & The Sara Chick
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 02-15-2005, 10:45 AM   #78
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) i think it was some loser named chris cornell..... lol jk
you are SO kicked out of the nice discussion area, that in not only name calling, but blasphemy as well. poo head.
lol
yeah, his voice WAS a lot better than it IS.
however, as you said, he is far from being done, hes still got a lot of steam.
maybe he quit smoking, and didnt tell us, and this next audioslave cd will be a testament to his vocal chords.
maybe.

say hello to heaven........
oh
soooooo good

-Amber

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself."
-Ferris Bueller
Old 02-15-2005, 12:07 PM   #79
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) pearl jam's two best albums IMO are vs and no code which by memory came out in 93 and 96 respectfully. i don't think their last two albums are as good as the ones before it but its still a universe ahead of the crap called "rock" these days like jet, nickelback and three days grace. temple of the dog is the single best thing anyone from that group ever did, the emotion is just so obvious and cornell particulary in "say hello 2 heaven" is just on fire!

THe best thing that Soundgarden did was release "Superunkown" which is critically acclaimed as one of the top rock albums of the 90's.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #80
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by creedsister) New Again~~Braid Paisley & The Sara Chick
what are you smokin' woman?????

Old 02-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #81
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by fluttergirl) you are SO kicked out of the nice discussion area, that in not only name calling, but blasphemy as well. poo head.
lol
yeah, his voice WAS a lot better than it IS.
however, as you said, he is far from being done, hes still got a lot of steam.
maybe he quit smoking, and didnt tell us, and this next audioslave cd will be a testament to his vocal chords.
maybe.

say hello to heaven........
oh
soooooo good

lol i'm a poo head.....oh that one hurts!
i agree he is far from done and the first audioslave album kicks a lot of bootie. however both badmotorfinger and superunknown for me are clearly better hard rock albums (albums before and after not quite as good) and the totd project and his solo album are better again. the emotion in say hello to heaven is just amazing and he wrote some amazing songs on that album. well i have the solution to this whole cornell v vedder debate, everyone just listen to "hunger strike" on the totd album and have them both!
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 02-15-2005, 07:40 PM   #82
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) THe best thing that Soundgarden did was release "Superunkown" which is critically acclaimed as one of the top rock albums of the 90's.
you would see if you read the quote correctly that i said anyone in that band ever did, not what soundgarden did. temple of the dog is not soundgarden.....
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 02-16-2005, 12:26 AM   #83
jango
USER INFO »
Pearl Jam's "best stuff" is not in the nineties. Their commercial "decline" is due to the fact that they did not sell out to Sony interests. They distributed fewer albums with less fanfare a la the Dead.

McCready and Gossard are miles ahead of Thayil. McCready plays an eclectic mix of funk and rock with a blues tinge that finds its home in quiet ballads. Thayil, although magnificent, was much more straightforward and hard-hitting. Where Thayil would lay down a hard rock riff, McCready would play off Gossard's tempo and Vedder's vocals to create an atmosphere not seen (nor appreciated) during the era. Catchy riffs and style do not equal talent. McCready is the shit. Play Nothingman, Yellow Ledbetter, the solo in Alive, Down, the entire Mad Season album, TotD, etc.

Pearl Jam stuck to their roots, stayed true to the art and play to their fans and their fans only. No other band on that list does that or did that. They are a dying breed of rock musicians with no commercial interest and only that of providing quality music to those who truly appreciate it while inspiring development and rational thought. Ten and Vs. caught the eye of the public, but the public failed to grow with the band and adopted the Spice Girls and Third Eye Blind as well as numerous other "post-Grunge" bands with no talent. Soundgarden, STP, and to a certain extent, AIC existed in the moment and died with the moment. Nirvana was a product of another revolution and paved the way for grunge. Pearl Jam embodied and continue to embody grunge in their undying angst and style.

That is why they kick ass.
"Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works."
Old 02-16-2005, 12:56 AM   #84
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by jango) Pearl Jam's "best stuff" is not in the nineties. Their commercial "decline" is due to the fact that they did not sell out to Sony interests. They distributed fewer albums with less fanfare a la the Dead.

Its all opinion, if you ask any critic they will tell you Pearl Jam's best stuff is in the nineties, Ten and Vs.. All in the early 90's.

McCready and Gossard are miles ahead of Thayil. McCready plays an eclectic mix of funk and rock with a blues tinge that finds its home in quiet ballads. Thayil, although magnificent, was much more straightforward and hard-hitting. Where Thayil would lay down a hard rock riff, McCready would play off Gossard's tempo and Vedder's vocals to create an atmosphere not seen (nor appreciated) during the era. Catchy riffs and style do not equal talent. McCready is the shit. Play Nothingman, Yellow Ledbetter, the solo in Alive, Down, the entire Mad Season album, TotD, etc.

The hard hitting term you are looking for is psychedelia and punk, which he magnificancly mixes together. Hell i hate punk, but Thayil manages to pull it off to my liking. IF catchy riffs and style don't equal talent then why do you hold Morello in such high regard?

Pearl Jam stuck to their roots, stayed true to the art and play to their fans and their fans only. No other band on that list does that or did that. They are a dying breed of rock musicians with no commercial interest and only that of providing quality music to those who truly appreciate it while inspiring development and rational thought. Ten and Vs. caught the eye of the public, but the public failed to grow with the band and adopted the Spice Girls and Third Eye Blind as well as numerous other "post-Grunge" bands with no talent. Soundgarden, STP, and to a certain extent, AIC existed in the moment and died with the moment. Nirvana was a product of another revolution and paved the way for grunge. Pearl Jam embodied and continue to embody grunge in their undying angst and style.

That is why they kick ass.

Well if you fail to realize that Soundgarden choose to break up they didn't just break up or fade away, they felt like they were only playing for the fans and and not for themselfves and choose to move on. So analyzing the pont in this way makes no difference, saying a band didn't last longer than the other doesn't make it a better band.

Answers in bold.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:57 AM   #85
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) you would see if you read the quote correctly that i said anyone in that band ever did, not what soundgarden did. temple of the dog is not soundgarden.....

I guess i didn't understand what you were trying to say, my bad.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:35 AM   #86
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
I'll add a couple of things.....firstly critics are now seeing an underated album like no code is amongst pj's best. secondly i'ld disagree with jango and say that binaural and riot act do not lay a candle to what came before that. some of the matt cameron stuff on those two albums are filler and a half IMO.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 02-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #87
RMadd
USER INFO »
yeah.... I'd hardly say that Binaural or Riot Act are excellent albums. I own the former, and there's only a couple songs on there to which I can stand giving a listen (the same goes for Vitalogy). That's not to say that those songs suck, tho. I don't own Riot Act, but I've got a few friends who do, and they absolutely hate it. And Jango, I don't think they've stuck to their roots. If they had, then every other album they've got would be as awesome as Ten was. Instead, now they're trying to fill the void that Rage left by making political commentaries galore.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #88
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) yeah.... I'd hardly say that Binaural or Riot Act are excellent albums. I own the former, and there's only a couple songs on there to which I can stand giving a listen (the same goes for Vitalogy). That's not to say that those songs suck, tho. I don't own Riot Act, but I've got a few friends who do, and they absolutely hate it. And Jango, I don't think they've stuck to their roots. If they had, then every other album they've got would be as awesome as Ten was. Instead, now they're trying to fill the void that Rage left by making political commentaries galore.

MEh, I always thought System of a down was filling that huge viod that Rage left, considering Sej works with Tom on the axis of justice.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #89
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) Good discuassion...I love it.

Ok to got started.
Where have Pearl Jam's Fanbase gone? In an era where Post-grunge is still pretty popular, you would figure a band like Pearl Jam (grunge( could make it and in fact increase their fan base....but they don't...In fact I haven't even heard a newer song by pearl jam, even when requests are allowed. Maybe i its just where i live but still you would figure they would once in a while. Even on modern rock sations you don't here them.
Again, this is not about radio spins. Have you ever tried to get tickets to a Pearl Jam show? They are still selling out arenas despite the lack of radio play of their newer music. One show I went to a couple of years ago sold out in 18 minutes. I was lucky to get two tickets. The hundreds of people behind me in line were SOL. You can't judge a fan base by what is played on the radio, as that is pretty much controlled by the corporations that think they know what people will listen to/buy. They keep trying to shove music like Evanescence and Good Charlotte down our throats, but it's not working, at least for me. I stopped listening to commercial radio two years ago.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #90
Trimontana
USER INFO »
Stone Temple Pilots made it pretty good for me even i am not a grunge fanatic