++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 11-18-2004, 10:29 PM   #16
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) You are missing a couple points.......

1. You forget stations like Fuse who play videos all of the time. People will begin to like it more and more. Velvert revolver's slither wasn't a "popy" song yet it was very very popular among a lot of people. Think about the older people too, they will love AB's Find the real because it has that 70's rock feel to it.

2. A video doesn't cost that much to do.....If Wind up won't pay for it then why can't the band?

3. Even if it isn't popular, why not just do it for the "harcore" fans? It would be worth the money.
You're wrong on a couple of those. Bands pay for the videos. The labels have nothing to do with the videos. Why, you ask? No one really knows, that's just the way it's always been. And videos do cost a lot.

Secondly, they're not gonna make a video to please a few thousand people, and they shouldn't. That's just stupid.

And Fuse isn't real popular, at least yet.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:06 AM   #17
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Hellboy) You're wrong on a couple of those. Bands pay for the videos. The labels have nothing to do with the videos. Why, you ask? No one really knows, that's just the way it's always been. And videos do cost a lot.

Secondly, they're not gonna make a video to please a few thousand people, and they shouldn't. That's just stupid.

And Fuse isn't real popular, at least yet.

no the label pays for the video, and no its not stupid, if your fans want to do it why not?

Fuse still has listeners and if they like the song then they will tell their friends and whey will tell their friends, etc etc.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:54 AM   #18
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) no the label pays for the video, and no its not stupid, if your fans want to do it why not?

Fuse still has listeners and if they like the song then they will tell their friends and whey will tell their friends, etc etc.

why make a video simply to please the fans who will never leave you anyway? videos are there to attract new fans, perhaps they can make a video for the next single which will probably be down to my last or ILM.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 11-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #19
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) no the label pays for the video, and no its not stupid, if your fans want to do it why not?

The band pays for the video. This has been documented on MTV, VH1, and threads on this very BB. Educate yourself. And it's a business. They shouldn't risk losing money to please a few thousand fans. You are acting pretty selfishly.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:22 PM   #20
WhatsUrCreed
USER INFO »
As much as AB "loves to play music for music's sake" they are gonna find themselves running out of money and fast! Creed became so massive because of the advertising and of course, THE MASSIVE STADIUM CONCERTS! If AB cant afford a video and doesnt have the support from their label...I can only see them going downhill from here...
Old 11-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #21
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
I think the point of having a video for FTR is that it's a kick ass harder song that will step the band away from Creed comparissons. People need to see it as a new thing and not as a "Stapp got the boots" thing, so to say.

Specially coz they're considering to release Broken Wings/ ILM/ DTML later and those are Creed-like songs.

IMO, they should replace Broken Wings for ODR... Coz if BW goes to radio, the intro and the outro will be cut off...
Old 11-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #22
Agent D
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) I think the point of having a video for FTR is that it's a kick ass harder song that will step the band away from Creed comparissons. People need to see it as a new thing and not as a "Stapp got the boots" thing, so to say.

Specially coz they're considering to release Broken Wings/ ILM/ DTML later and those are Creed-like songs.

IMO, they should replace Broken Wings for ODR... Coz if BW goes to radio, the intro and the outro will be cut off...

Amen, Marcos. We need a vid for FTR.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #23
Disillusioned
USER INFO »
Video's are released for the purpose of increasing album sales and are part of the over-all marketing scheme. Initially, the label pays for the video just as they do everything else that pertains to recording, distributing, and marketing. The recording industry is a business first and foremost, and basically, what a label does is "front" the money...in the end, the band (if they are going to continue releasing albums), must reimburse the record label for all monies spent on their behalf. Only then, does a band begin to see a profit from album sales.

If a band does not sell enough albums and if it looks like the cost already invested can not be recouped further down the road, the band is dropped from the label and the label is "out" the money it invested.

With Alter Bridge having Gold certification on albums shipped, that means the label paid to distribute at least 500,000 copies (probably more)...Alter Bridge has yet to sell 500,000 (on 500,000 shipped, somewhere around that 250,000 mark is where the label breaks even)...at this point, the label's priority is recouping what it's already invested and it may not see the making of a video for FTR as a means to an end. Concert footage is the cheapest way to make a video but it still requires money, not to mention time in the editing room and with the band in the middle of a tour, the band itself does not have the time to do that themselves.

Speaking of a tour, that's how bands make their money...through touring. Although I would have loved to seen a video for FTR, at this point and time the tour is, and needs to be, the focus for Alter Bridge. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Disillusioned : 11-19-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #24
Soundslave
USER INFO »
Although I would like to see a video for FTR, I agree with some of you that this song is not their priority. FTR will not attract the masses... only the rock "purists" will be attracted to AB through this song.

And even though I'd like to see ODR or TEIH as the 3rd single, I really feel that ILM, BW, or DTML has to be the single. Pop stations would eat up ILM, and that would make the band quite a bit in record sales. One of these songs really should be the next single, and it will need a good video.

In my opinion, once AB gets a song in rotation on a pop station, they will really take off.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #25
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Hellboy, can you please post a link where it says bands pay for videos?

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 11-20-2004, 02:05 AM   #26
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
God forbid that we attract "rock" purists. The fact is that If you want to attract more people you you gave to give them a video. Why not take a chance and release a kickass video with a kickass song? Rock stations around the country would be more likely to play the song because people actually have heard it on TV and want to hear it again. If you release songs with no video (i.e. Are you ready?) it is unlikely to get popular.
Wind up needs to allow AB to follow the direction of being a hard rock band and not worry how many people that our outside the rcok world will view it. A live video of AB wouldn't cost shit, and defintely worth the money even if it doesn't do that well. We live in a age of if a song doesn't have a video fans might as well never hear it again on the radio becuase videos attract people to the song. (I know it is sad, but its true). And what better way of promote the tour as well? When i saw's creeds video from my own prison i wanted to go to a concert even though i wasn't a fan.

(P.S. The record company generally pays for the video, even if that isn't true its not like Tremonti and Flip couldn't afford it. The advantages of releasing a video out weigh the negative)
Old 11-20-2004, 07:33 AM   #27
Alter Shredder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Disillusioned) Video's are released for the purpose of increasing album sales and are part of the over-all marketing scheme. Initially, the label pays for the video just as they do everything else that pertains to recording, distributing, and marketing. The recording industry is a business first and foremost, and basically, what a label does is "front" the money...in the end, the band (if they are going to continue releasing albums), must reimburse the record label for all monies spent on their behalf. Only then, does a band begin to see a profit from album sales.

If a band does not sell enough albums and if it looks like the cost already invested can not be recouped further down the road, the band is dropped from the label and the label is "out" the money it invested.

With Alter Bridge having Gold certification on albums shipped, that means the label paid to distribute at least 500,000 copies (probably more)...Alter Bridge has yet to sell 500,000 (on 500,000 shipped, somewhere around that 250,000 mark is where the label breaks even)...at this point, the label's priority is recouping what it's already invested and it may not see the making of a video for FTR as a means to an end. Concert footage is the cheapest way to make a video but it still requires money, not to mention time in the editing room and with the band in the middle of a tour, the band itself does not have the time to do that themselves.

Speaking of a tour, that's how bands make their money...through touring. Although I would have loved to seen a video for FTR, at this point and time the tour is, and needs to be, the focus for Alter Bridge. Just my 2 cents
ok this is a side note but if ab sold roughly 150 to 200 thousand in the first 3 weeks or so....and the record company ceritfied them gold back then....then wouldnt that mean that now that they have gold certification from the riaa, many months later, that they have actually sold 500,000 copies?
Old 11-20-2004, 08:03 AM   #28
Trimontana
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) God forbid that we attract "rock" purists. The fact is that If you want to attract more people you you gave to give them a video. Why not take a chance and release a kickass video with a kickass song? Rock stations around the country would be more likely to play the song because people actually have heard it on TV and want to hear it again. If you release songs with no video (i.e. Are you ready?) it is unlikely to get popular.
Wind up needs to allow AB to follow the direction of being a hard rock band and not worry how many people that our outside the rcok world will view it. A live video of AB wouldn't cost shit, and defintely worth the money even if it doesn't do that well. We live in a age of if a song doesn't have a video fans might as well never hear it again on the radio becuase videos attract people to the song. (I know it is sad, but its true). And what better way of promote the tour as well? When i saw's creeds video from my own prison i wanted to go to a concert even though i wasn't a fan.

(P.S. The record company generally pays for the video, even if that isn't true its not like Tremonti and Flip couldn't afford it. The advantages of releasing a video out weigh the negative)

I couldn't be more agree with you. I think you capted what i had in mind and posted, so basicly i don't have anything else to say.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #29
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) Hellboy, can you please post a link where it says bands pay for videos?
I'll look for a link, but I thought this was common knowledge. Look through threads concerning videos or watch a Making the Video on MTV. This has been said in many of them that I have watched including Kanye West and Green Day. E-mail a label if ya want. Bands finance the videos. I was just as surprised as you to learn this.

Last edited by Hellboy : 11-20-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #30
benkenobi
USER INFO »
I think the biggest problem with making a video for FTR right now is simply Alter Bridge finding time out of their touring schedule and holidays to make one. It would be nice if it happened though. I think if it could happen it would be a live video, which wouldn't be bad at all.
What's beyond it?"
- "Save Me" (Alter Bridge)