View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Ten Years Later - Aberdeen decides to pay tribute to Kurt Cobain

Aberdeen, Washington, mulls over how best to honor its most famous son.

This report provided by MTV News

More than a decade after the death of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, residents in Aberdeen, Washington, have finally decided to commemorate the life and accomplishments of the most famous musician to surface from their tiny city.

On May 13, the eight members of the Kurt Cobain Memorial Committee held a meeting at Aberdeen City Hall to discuss how to best pay tribute to Cobain. About 25 members of the public showed up to throw around ideas, which included erecting a sign on the bluff of East Aberdeen that pointed out Cobain was born in Aberdeen; building a commemorative park in or near the downtown area that would include a graffiti wall; and creating a Cobain youth center focusing on music and art.

Members of the committee and the Aberdeen City Council are looking at two privately owned parks that could be developed into a memorial. Earlier this year, they considered changing the name of North Aberdeen Park near the Wishkah River to Kurt Cobain Memorial Park. The river was immortalized in the 1996 live Nirvana album, From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah.

Committee projects to pay tribute to Cobain will be funded through private donations. Donations to the Kurt Cobain Memorial Project are presently being accepted at all branches of the Bank of the Pacific.

Members of the Kurt Cobain Memorial Committee include Cobain's grandfather Leland Cobain, Aberdeen City Council member Paul Fritts and the arts and entertainment editor of the local paper The Daily World, Jeff Burlingame.

The population of Aberdeen is around 16,500, according to the 2000 U.S. Census.
----------------------------

Everybody, we need a lot of help to get this project completed. PLEASE let me know (via PM) if you would like to help us complete this project by making a donation to the Kurt Cobain Memorial Fund. Thank you.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"