View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #64
nagpo
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: What's everyone's opionion on 'Rain'?

This will be a long read. Based off the two new songs I've heard off their new album, Overcome and Rain: This is all I can say about it under the crazy assumption that the rest of the CD will sound similar.

Lyrically: The lyrics for the chorus' are good in both songs. Other than that, the rest of the lyrics seem to be their for filler. They are not as emotionally driven and relevant to the main theme of the song as previous songs were. For example:

From MOP:
I cry out to God
Seeking only his decision
Gabriel stands and confirms
I've created my own prison

From Who's got my back:
There’s still time
All that has been devastated
Can be recreated
Realize
We pick up the broken pieces
Of our lives
Giving ourselves to each other…
ourselves to each other
To rest our head on

From WAWO:
Well I don't know if I'm ready
To be the man I have to be
I'll take a breath, take her by my side
We stand in awe, we've created life
With arms wide open

Now, notice how those are not from any chorus. Just powerful lyrics leading to a great chorus. Compare those to the new songs

Overcome:
Don't cry victim to me
Everything we are and used to be
Is buried and gone
Now it's my turn to speak
It's my turn to expose and release what's been killing me
I'll be dammed fighting you, it's impossible, impossible
Say goodbye, with no sympathy!

These aren't terrible, but compared to previous creed songs they are lightweight.

Rain:
Can you help me out, can you lend me a hand?
It's safe to say that I'm stuck again
Trapped between this life and the light
I just can't figure out, how to make it right...

These lyrics are so basic and generic a middle schooler could have written these.

Another 'issue' I have with these two new songs is that , they need to repeat the chorus atleast 5 or 6 six times before the song is over. Why? That gets really old very fast. Yeah, I know Rain is a very catchy tune. But when I'm listening to the chorus for the fourth time I can't help but wonder why and since the song has very little complexity to it, I'll just listen to another song. The new songs arent really about anything, mostly just emotions. "Overcome": I fee tough. "Rain": I'm sad now but tomorrow will be better.

Musically: I'd first like to point out that the new songs have similar song structure. I dont wan't to get into it right now because it will make this post even bigger, but if you analyze the two songs they are set up the same.
The sound, Creed used to be known for their unique sound, at least in my eyes they were. And at that same time they were able so sell million w/o sounding like everyone else. These new songs...sound uncreed like. They are very generic, poppy and mainstream. It sounds like a lot of stuff we've heard before on the radio. I doubt it's the new producer, Howard Benson that is making these songs sound different. If it were true, he would have had to of written the whole song. Feels like I'm listening to an american idol singer with his debut album out rather than a band that has sold 25 mil. in the states alone.