View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #73
Aimee
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I grew up in Flint, Michigan but been in Florida ten years now.
Where I grew up was a boomtown in the 1920's. Henry Ford made the area famous when he introduced the assembly line. Little did we know that would be the downfall of the human worker. Union pride is a big thing, you will not see too many foreign cars (that aren't busted up by the Union fellows). At first glance, Flint has become a shithole. Almost everyone draws unemployment due to corporate takeovers and lay-offs. Even the pride of its history is crumbling as the jails fill up. Downtown is ghostville where martial law prevails. Our mayors have all been crooked and bled money from the taxpayers without a care. But if you visit Flint, you will find some of the kindest people you would ever meet. The old families who stay make things better. The education I recieved at my high school was top notch due to the hard work of stubborn teachers (most of them white dealing with minority hatred and kiddie violence).
I live in Orlando,FL now. I thought it was a big city until I moved here. The biggest thing we're known for is Disney World. I like to joke that we've been infested by a giant rat. I moved here for the same reason most others did... money. There are tons of jobs to be found here, and most of the population is made up of young professionals who leave to raise their families somewhere else. Orlando has a lot of lakes, which keeps things cooler in the middle of summer. Traffic is hell. It takes at least an hour to get to the other side of town. The only public transportation we have is the bus system, which is at least mostly dependable.
Moving down to the south country after being raised in the northern cities was a huge culture shock for me. Everyone down here is much more laid back, not always in a rush... sometimes too slow!! The racial tension is different as well. Up north, it seemed that hatred was based on cultural differences and very much in-your-face. Down here, the hatred seems more ingrained and kept in the family.
I haven't found anyplace to keep my interest so far. I love NYC but it gets so cold!!! Haven't been out west much, but looking forward to it. A ideal place for me to be would be where the temp is usually 70-90 degrees F. Don't mind rain, but MUST have a coastline to gaze at. Artsy people and a cultural mix so I don't get bored. Any ideas? Hey it doesn't even have to be in the States.