Thread: Legalize Drugs?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 01:34 AM   #22
Altair
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by Aimee
Altair
But I can't agree that all of these things are not necessary to life.  Life is something to be experienced, and if gadgets and vehicles like cars and airplanes can help me experience life more fully, I say great!  But that is off the topic a bit.  As far as drugs go, I believe that we need them in some way.  Like after a death, a family has a wake where we all get toasted and cry a lot.  Liquor may be your drug of choice then or maybe it's weed or maybe it's just a pack of cigarrettes, but it's something that helps cut the pain a bit.  
By the way, legalizing marijuana takes it off the black market and keeps it from becoming a gateway to more potentially harmful drugs.  
My personal agenda shines through.

I think we have a semantics problem here. Let us take a look at the definition "need."

Need: 2 a : a lack of something requisite, desirable, or useful b : a physiological or psychological requirement for the well-being of an organism

Now, I understand your angle; drugs or certain materials things can potentially alter our experience in a seemingly advantageous way. I simply want to take "need" to the extreme level.

If your well-being is dependent upon material things, even alcohol, then you are bound by those things. I simply believe, while they may seemingly help, they are not absolutely necessary, and to realize this is a matter of liberation. Of course, I don't expect you to elevate to such a high level of existence so easily. It does take determination and desire. But, with some perseverance, we can break on through and elevate ourselves. I do believe we are capable of being content with what naturally have. Unfortunately, we have been spoiled by our societal environment.

Have you tried living a life in a simplistic matter, denying yourself luxuries, or rather choosing abstenance from luxuries? It seems reasonable to me that premature judgements are not accurate accounts of reality. In other words, don't knock it until you've tried it.

However, I do understand and respect your theory that alcohol is mandatory in the face of a devestating loss. I'd just rather prescribe to a different theory.

One final thought: I'm not saying that we completely abstain from material things. Again, let's simply not be servants to these things. They are not our masters.

—The Bhagavad Gita