Thread: Legalize Drugs?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 12:38 PM   #28
allison
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
A little off topic here, but I still can't get my family to stop buying me things, even though I have told them outright that while I appreciate their thoughts, I have no more room in my life for material gifts. I have tried to get them to donate to chariities instead, but so far, I have not been successful. The worst is Christmas, IMHO. I really wish we all could stop with the maniacal spending. My idea of a perfect Christmas is to get together with the people I love, have a great meal with them and just enjoy each other's company, maybe sing some Christmas carols and just hang out.

I have the EXACT same problem. My family WILL NOT believe me when I say that I do not want gifts for my birthday or Christmas, I want them to donate to the charity of MY choice in MY name. I have tried to explain to them why over and over, year after year, but they still insist on buying me gifts. It makes me so angry! I hope that doesn't sound selfish or mean, but it really does. It's like they are buying me gifts to make themselves feel better! When I say, "There's nothing that I need. What I would really like would be for you to donate to...", they say, "Oh no, I can't do that, then you'd have nothing to open and I'd feel horrible!". Let me worry about that, and I do NOT feel horrible. What would truly make me feel GREAT would be to know that my charities got help when I couldn't give them as much money as I would like to, and they are able to do more good because of me. I really don't think I'd feel bad giving to a charity in someone's name if that's what they wanted me to do, so what's the deal? Why is this so difficult????

No, Marcos, thank YOU!