View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 AM   #8
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Back in the day, a person who converted from one religion to another was often baptized to identify conversion... Baptism was the means of making a decision public. Those who refused to be baptized were saying they did not truly believe... So, in the minds of the apostles, the idea of an un-baptized believer was unheard of. When a person claimed to believe in Christ, yet was ashamed to proclaim his faith in public, it indicated that he did not have true faith.

If baptism is necessary for salvation, why would Paul have said, "I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius" (1 Corinthians 1:14)? Why would he have said, "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel - not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power" (1 Corinthians 1:17)?

Some denominations argue that baptism is necessary for salvation due to a misinterpretation of one or two verses of Scripture. See your pastor if you have a question about this. Overall, the Scriptures are very clear and consistent, baptism is not necessary for salvation.

Heaven