Thread: Question....
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
shunammite
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Question....

Iced - kind of off topic but take my time anywhere redefine anywhere I don't think Het sounds in any way inferior to what he was like when he was young. Maybe it's a matter of taste - when he was young maybe he sounded angrier, more distraught, more confounded and chaotic - kind of just steady high pitched screaming. Whereas he started actually singing as time went by. (I am very fond of the ground he walks on btw.)

Now, if you want to mention someone who could sound good when he wanted to when he was young but sounds like HECK now, that's Bob Dylan. Age took a toll on him -some it doesn't affect - Willie Nelson for example just mellows like fine wine - another one that went to pot with age (ok I'm showing my age again) is Leon Russell - nothing but a high pitched WHINE now...Paul McCartney, as old as the rest, hardly sounds different than 40 years ago.

I just think that full tilt boogie screaming Stapp does probably takes a hard toll on this voice - Chris Cornell does it too but he seems to have a much larger range naturally. I'm just waiting for the cd. But I know nowadays they have to put out in concert because in this day and age that's the only way to make money. Well with Stapp - no one can say he's boring to watch - always but always the showman.