View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #30
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Sincirr) John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whomever believes in Him shall not perish but have everylasting life.

BUT WAIT! THERES MORE!!!!!

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world but to save the world through Him. (not fricken being dunked in water! Though it is a step!)

Whoever believes in Him is not condemned...

Praise God that we are not saved by works so nobody can boast.

I have to go to class now!!! I am sure I will be back.

Not fricken being dunked in water? Is that all you think Baptism is? Then no wonder you don't think its important. Baptism is an outpouring of Grace from God, completely cleaning the soul of Sin, including Original sin. Baptism is the only thing that can get rid of Original sin. Believing in Christ is obviously required (no point getting Baptized if you don't) but Jesus instituted Baptism for the purpose of being able to cleanse our souls. This is pre-figured by The Great Flood in the old Testament. God cleansed the world through the flood and Baptism does the same thing.

Jesus tells his Apostles to "make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" (Mathew 28: 19). Why would he include Baptims in his farewall address, so to speak, if it was unimportant?

Mark 16: 16 "Whoever believes and is Baptized will be saved". Once again, Baptism is associated with being saved by Jesus. It does not say "Whoever believes will be saved"--although that is obviously required--it says whoever believes and is baptized.

Obviously, the Nicodemus dicsussion where Jesus says "...no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit" John 3: 5. I would also point out that this in the SAME passage as the line you keep quoting. And by the way, Jesus did NOT come to condemn the world! He gave us Baptism! His Death on the Cross enabled us to be saved. He also chose the vessel of that saving to be Baptism--or at least, the beginning of it. Baptism is not the end, of course. To say that he is condemning the world by giving us Baptism is sheer ludicrosity!

"Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins" Acts 2: 38. How can you possibly say Baptism does nothing when Peter is saying to be Baptized for the forgiveness of your sins?

"Now why delay? Get up and have yourself baptized and your sins washed away, calling upon his name" Acts 22: 16. Once again, Baptism is directly associated with the forgiveness of sins.

Romans 6: 1-4 is also very explicit, although it is too long, I don't have the time to type it out. I suggest you read it and then tell me you still believe Baptism to be a "fricken dunking in water"

"That is what some of you used to be, but now you have had yourselves washed, you were sanctified, you were justified..." 1 Cor 6: 11. Once again, sanctified and justified being associated with water and washing away of sins, i.e Baptism.

Titus 3: 5 "Not because of any righteous deeds we had done, but because of his mercy, he saved us through the bath of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" More Saving through washing.

In 1 Peter 3: 21, talking abut the great flood, Peter says "This prefigured baptism, which saves you now" How on earth can you claim, after reading Peter say that Baptism saves you, that Baptism means nothing?

Last edited by uncertaindrumer : 05-09-2005 at 10:06 AM.