View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #24
dario
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Definition of Baptism according to the NIV: Christian sacrament; a ritual washing with water, symbolizing a cleansing of sin, linked with repentance and admission into the community of faith; symbolic for being filled with the Holy Spirit.
To start off I would like to say that I do not believe that baptism is necessary for salvation. It is only through God's grace that we can enter the kingdom of heaven. The rest of the things I write are not my own thoughts but the verses and commentary of my Life Application Bible.
Matthew 3:11, " I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."
-Baptism was an outward sign of commitment. To be effective, it had to be accompanied by an inward change of attitude leading to a changed life-the work of the Holy Spirit.
Mark 16:16, " Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved...
-It is not the water of baptism that saves, but God's grace accepted through faith in Christ. Because of Jesus's response to the criminal on the cross who died with him, we know it is possible to be saved without being baptized (Luke 23:43). Baptism alone, without faith, does not automatically bring a person to heaven. Those who refuse to believe will be condemned, regardless of whether or not they have been baptized.