View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
HuMaN~ClAy
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Just a few Thoughts......

hey people, here are just a few of my thoughts on what i think is one of the best musical displays of art that i've ever heard. I'm talking about Alter Bridge's song, In Loving Memory.

first of all i'll talk about the lyrics, they're fairly easy to interperate on a literal level. at the start you get a sense of Mark missing his mother, "I've missed you for so long, i can't believe you're gone". this is a very touching part of the song, it sets a very sad mood and you get a feeling of the greif that Mark went through. As the song picks up you kinda get a feeling that Mark is coping with the loss and simply likes to remember the good times, "I'm glad he set you free from sorrow...". Then the song slows down and you get a sense of peace from the vocals and the music, "Ooohhhh.....". This also adds to the effect that he's proud of his mother and what she's done with her life, and that he's making peace with himself. Then the song picks up again for one last boost of confidence that he can make it through life and that she is still "with" him, "I sing tonight, cus it comforts me".

On a more global and figurative meaning, I personally relate the lyrics too a person's general life. how life is full of ups and downs, we have to deal with them and be assertive and confident in our choices. Life can be very difficult at times but as long as we keep a good attitude things aren't as bad as they seem. At the end of life we should be left without any regrets.

finally the music apart from the lyrics.... the music can be broken up into 6 different parts. First we have the intro, very soft and sets a warm feeling. Next the initial verses set a sad mood that match the lyrics, kinda slow and simple, only guitar work. Then the song picks up in intensity, which also match the feelings comunicated in the lyrics. Then during the "Ooohhhh.." part of the song everything goes very soft and simple, showing the inner peace that he has reached. Next the song picks up again matching the emotions of the lyrics of confidence. Finally the song ends in a soft outro, a repetition of the intro, symbolizing a return to his initial feeling, before he took us on the rollercoaster of feelings.

I am very interested in what anyone else feels about this song, or any other song. also any comments about my take on In Loving Memory.