View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
maccamer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Scott's Vocal Problems (Explained)

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dark_Knight) Firstly I don't believe anything was "tampered" with other then the fact that Scott's vocals have been heavily edited and tuned throughout this trek which is excusable because he's suffering right now but the guy seems pretty defensive all of a sudden... he sent me 3 other messages trying to explain himself lol but who knows, I asked him about it all so I'm waiting for another reply, it could just be a fan making all of this up for the fun of it.

I don't think anyone "tampered" either. The New York show that is available at DIME and others you could clearly here Scott struggling through the whole show. It wasn't editing that does that when it is obviously him having vocal issues. It has been every performance, the down tuning of all the songs, and the fact that he clearly is singing completely different than he ever has before.

It sounds like he did have the surgery for the vocal nodes and hasn't fully recovered his voice. This is very common apparently after having surgery that singers have a lower voice and have pitch problems. He also isn't able to scream at all. When he tries to scream, he has such a limited spot either he hits it or completely out of key all over the place. He seems to be able to sing is his limited range that he always has been able to sing in. That seems to be prevalent on the record. He just isn't able to control his scream and doesn't have the force or ability to yell/scream anymore. His voice is just shot on the upper range. It is like having a bad cold and not being able to yell or scream. You can sing ok, but you have such limited control. He is singing from his diaphragm, which is good, but it is like his throat is purposely numb so he isn't tempted to scream and risk losing his voice. Either that or his vocal cords are damaged and he just cannot scream in control anymore. When he tries to tighten is diaphragm and scream, it is like he pinches off all the air and what we hear is the blown out area of his upper range that is left. Sorry if I am being critical. I am a huge fan and just wish Scott the best. He is a great artist and an awesome singer!