View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 01:31 AM   #9
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Bill To Make Christianity Official State Religion

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) I suppose there's two ways to look at this: either the proponents of this bill are utterly stupid, or they have other motives. By this, I expect that they realize that it is unconstitutional. They (quite reasonably) expect someone to challenge it, and that the case would eventually go up to the Supreme Court (through numerous appeals by the state). There, the hope would be that an opinion would be rendered by the now right-leaning court in favor of the state. The only other way that it would hold up would be a constitutional amendment, and there certainly aren't the numbers in either the House or the Senate, let alone the entire population, to pass this bullsh**.
As such, it's somewhat akin to South Dakota's illegalization of abortions. They know it's unconstitutional, but hope it will eventually make it to the SC, and that the justices, led by Roberts, Alito, Scalia, Thomas, etc. would render an opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade (1973).

I think that you are getting it Rmadd

the problem that they don't realize is that right leaning justices tend not to legislate from the bench so I have a feeling that their plan will backfire if it passes at all (and part of me hopes it does for that reason)