Thread: Stapp Confesses
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #172
titan9
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Stapp Confesses

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I agree that AB's lyrics aren't that great. They are serviceable, but I hope that Mark will hand over the writing to Myles, who does a better job, IMO. It's not so much that they are generic, but they seem to lack a certain passion. I mean, look at Trent Reznor. He doesn't write anything really complicated, but his words are full of a range of emotions, like anger, isolation, pain, rage, longing. The words make me think and feel. I just think some of those elements are missing in Mark's stuff. His passion comes through the guitar. One of my favorite lyricists is Eddie Vedder. That guy can tell a story, for real.

Yeah, that could be what it is, Dogstar. When I hear AB's lyrics, for most of the songs, nothing really clicks with me. I don't think and I don't feel when I hear the lyrics. The music and vocals do something for me, but not the lyrics. They're servicable lyrics, yes(ESPECIALLY compared to the garbage that currently resides on mainstream radio), but they're just not up to the same level as the music and vocals are. Judging by what Myles did with the verses of FTR, and what he did in MF4, I know that he'd write better lyrics than Mark does. Which is why I am hoping(and praying) that Myles does the lyrics for the next CD. If that is the case....I think the next CD is going to be amazing.

As for Vedder, I haven't heard a lot of PJ stuff, but what I have heard I do like. He seems to have very creative(and original) lyrics.

Quote: (Originally Posted by IAmFilthy) I totally agree with you, Tiatan. I feel that the lyrics of ODR are their only true weakness. Mark Tremonti is not a great lyricist,...never has been. And even he knows it,.....here is an exerpt from an interview with Mark in the April 2001 issue of Guitar World magazine :

GW: What do you each(Stapp and Tremonti) bring to the table?

Tremonti: I'm the heavy guy. When we first got together, Scott wasn't very well versed in rock n' roll music. He liked U2 and the Doors. He liked singers that told a story and had some substance in their lyrics. Scott is a brilliant lyricist; he writes real deep and meaningful stuff. I write music and hum stuff pretty well. I come up with garbage kind of words, some that stick and most that don't. So when we get together, I put all my effort into the music and he puts all his into the lyrics. Then we finish the melodies together. We fill each other's voids. I have trouble writing lyrics and Scott can't play guitar.

Yeah, I kinda forgot about that quote. It is the truth, imo. Part of what made Creed so great was what Stapp and Tremo brought to the table: Stapp brought energetic vocals, meaningful lyrics, lots of charisma to the stage; Tremo brought catchy riffs, really good solos, passion on the guitar. Like Tremo said, they filled each other's voids.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!