View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #28
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by dario) Thank you very much HD. After reading what you said and the verses you included, I would have to agree with what you have written. However, there are many other topics that have been discussed on this forum that I believe are not Scripturally sound. Topics such as Baptism of the Dead, The Book Of Mormon itself, and the planet issue. My belief is that if you have received Jesus into your heart and trust and follow in Him, then you are going to heaven. I don't believe that baptism plays a role in salvation nor do I believe in baptism of the dead. I haven't read The Book of Mormon, but when I read Revelation 22:18-19, I believe The Book of Mormon is an example of this. One thing I do respect about the Mormon religion however, is their determination to evangalize and the hard work that goes into it. If you care to discuss these topics more, I am more than willing to share with you my personal beliefs and convictions.

"The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people."
There are many controversial topics that come up here, and baptism for the dead is one that people have focused on for a long time. I understand where you're coming from, but I believe it to be true. The last post I made for you was basically the foundation of the planet issue. Why people are still so confused about it and think we get our own planet, I don't know. We don't. Plain and simple.

That referece in Revelation is one that comes up quite a lot as well. Basically, there are two ways to look at it.
1) When the Romans organized the Bible, they did not do it in chronological order. They first put in what were believed to be the important gospels (Matt, Mark, Luke, John, and Acts), then put in Romans, as it pertained to them. Revelation was not the last book written in the Bible. Chronologically, it's actually near the beginning. Through archeological work done by Bible scholars, we know that it actually was one of the first written. Keep in mind that John wrote Revelation. The same John that wrote much of the New Testament. Books that come earlier on in the NT were written many years after some others. -- Please note, this is historical fact, and not a Mormon teaching set up to prove us right.

2) John could be talking solely about his book. He didn't want his writings changed. Just as if you were to write a book, and the publisher were to change the story, it would not be your work. John wanted his record to be preserved.

My personal opinion is that the Book of Mormon is not a part of what that references says because it does not add to the Bible in the sence of saying "OK, now you have to do this, this, this, this, and this." It does add another book, but it magnifies what is in the Bible, and accompanies it.

You say you haven't read the Book of Mormon, and my suggestion is maybe you should. You can get one from the missionaries or at an LDS chapel for free if you ask for one. If you would like to focus on it as a historical book instead of a religious book, I suggest that.

There are also believed to be some references in the Bible that reference the Book of Mormon and even Joseph Smith.
1) Isaiah 29:11 – “And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed.”
This is believed to be a reference because a man told that to Joseph Smith when he was translating the Book of Mormon. There were questions of its authenticity, so he took the plates and his translation to a scholar. The scholar looked at them, and wrote a letter saying it was correctly translated. There was a section of the Book that was locked by something, and we still do not have that portion. Because the man couldn’t see them, he ripped up the letter he wrote, and said, “I cannot read a sealed book.”
2) Numbers 11:6 – “And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.”
God and Jesus did appear to Joseph in a vision, and there are accounts of dreams of Joseph that reference seeing God and/or Jesus again.
3) Revelation 2:17 – “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that recieveth it.”
I found this verse the other day, and believe it has to do with the Book of Mormon (aka “hidden manna”) and the stone box that Joseph Smith found the plates in, what he overcame, and that no one knows of it’s truth except those who read it.

There are some others I can’t find right now.

As it says in the Book of Mormon in Moroni 10:4 – “And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.”

Lastly, I would like to thank you for the respectful way you post your questions. It is much better for me to answer sincere questions of asking instead of questions phrased and worded as accusations.

If there is anything at all you would like to discuss, feel free to let me know.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"