View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 04:18 PM   #25
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by dario) I dont know if I would agree about us being "gods" because our Father is God. Could you please find a verse that says that in the context you are using it in. I just dont want to start getting into something until I have some definite sources. Thanks.

"Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."
Sure dario. This is what it refers to.
Firstly, let me start out by saying that this teaching has been greatly skewed because of people who don't understand it. It is NOT saying that we will be God. That is impossible. God is God, and no one can ever do what he does. Afterall, as it says in Ephesians 4:6, "One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."

With that said, Christ teaches that we are gods in John 10:32-35:
32 Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken.

That is also referenced back to Psalms 82:6-7:
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

In Deuteronomy 14:1, it says: "Ye are children of the Lord your God."
Essclesiastes 12:7: "And the spirit shall return to God who gave it."
Hosea 1:10: "Ye are the sons of the living God."
Acts 17:29: "Forasmuch then we are the offspring of God."

These references are some among many of ones that reference us as children of God. Because of this, he is our father and we can be like him, (With emphasis on the word LIKE him), and return to live with him. Matthew 5:48 says "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
Let me explain it like this: I have a maternal father on this earth, as all living things do, and I am his child. I can be exactly like him, do everything like he does, act like him, talk like him, walk in his footsteps, etc. However, though I can be exactly like him, I can never be him. He is him, and I am me. This is the same thing as with God. Do you understand?

The teaching further continues (as is taught in many denominations) that after death, when we reside with God again, that he will make all things known to us, and we will have a perfect knowledge of EVERYTHING. So shouldn't that include creation? We will know how he created the earth, and in theory, could do it. Such as, if you were to build a house, I could know exactly how you did it, and reproduce the exact same house. Just because we would know how, doesn't mean we will do it. Also, we believe that it is not only Mormons who that applies to. It applies to EVERYONE who inherits the kingdom of God.

Does that help? Is there anything else you would like me to explain on it?

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"