View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Environmental irony

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) You can ofcourse blame people of good will for organising a pollutive worldwide event to point out the problem of pollution, or you could blame your respective governments that it is even necessary to organize such an event, when the pollution should have already been dealt with or at least being dealt with instead of avoided, ignored or even covered up and denied.
Yes, our governments f***ed up pretty badly, but an event exactly like this is not "necessary," as you put it. I understand the appeal in holding a global benefit concert, what with the success of Live Aid in '85. But when it directly contradicts the stated goals of the issue about which awareness needs to be raised, don't you see a little problem there? That would be akin to holding a ginormous hot dog eating contest to raise money for a famine in Ethiopia.

All I'm saying is, there's probably a better and less-hypocritical way to raise awareness for this. Trash companies could go on strike for a month, showing us just how much waste we produce. Hell, they could even hike up rates a sh**load just to drive home the point. Perhaps, rather than flying bands & their entourages across the country & halfway across the world just to play a few measly songs on their privately chartered jets, they could fly coach, or even first or business class, or just play wherever they're at on that particular date. After all, if you build it (a stage/concert venue), they (fans) will come. And Algore could also stop being such a hypocritical blowhard.

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) Raising personal awareness of being less pollutive per person is in itself not a bad thing, but I do feel that our elected governments should be our leaders in that area and they have failed considerably in this.
I agree. Businesses aren't going to voluntarily regulate themselves b/c it's not in their economic interest.

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) I too am a hypocrite as I probably could do much more, but it is good to address the urgency of the problem, as I am almost 40 now, it won't be much of a problem for me personally, but it will be for the generations to come and we do have a responsability there.
I'm doing my part by recycling and not driving a motherfarking SUV lol.