Old 12-09-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
Stappishot
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Scott's AIM Interview...

PeteInMusic: hey scott! you there?
ScottStapp73: how you doing?
ScottStapp73: let's do this
PeteInMusic: i'm good - so your new album just came out over the Thanksgiving holiday
PeteInMusic: did you have to spend the holiday promoting the album?
PeteInMusic: or did you get to hang with your family?
ScottStapp73: No, I spent it with my son and my family - but I'm back to promoting now
PeteInMusic: cool - i read that you sung the national anthem at the Nascar Miami Ford 400 a week ago - what was that like?
ScottStapp73: Well, I was a little nervous that I'd forget the words
ScottStapp73: but I didn't! It was pretty cool when the jets flew overhead
PeteInMusic: nice
PeteInMusic: that must of been a career highlight
ScottStapp73: most definitely!
PeteInMusic: Being a solo artist is a first for you. As your album has just hit stores, and you enter a new chapter in your life, what feelings are going through you right now?
ScottStapp73: I'm excited about the future...
ScottStapp73: and i'm just relieved the album's finally out - my solo career has begun!
ScottStapp73: whoops, just spilled a soda
ScottStapp73: no major damage
PeteInMusic: ha! that would of sucked - congrats on the album - it's a big accomplishment - what was the hardest part of making the transistion from being in a band to a solo artist?
ScottStapp73: there really wasn't a big transition
PeteInMusic: no?
ScottStapp73: i didn't change the way i created - just the players are different
ScottStapp73: in my opinion all equally talented
PeteInMusic: where did your new band come from?
ScottStapp73: old friends - they toured with us and we stayed in touch
PeteInMusic: they were in another band before?
ScottStapp73: yeah, Goneblind
PeteInMusic: i heard that jamie foxx was going to make a guest appearance on the new album?
ScottStapp73: we had run into each other at a Miami Heat game - we had talked about him dropping by the studio to hang out
ScottStapp73: and rumors turned that into him being on the record...
ScottStapp73: it didn't actually happen but it definitely woulda been fun if we had been able to work it out
PeteInMusic: for sure - is there anyone you would like to collaborate with one day - who's at the top of the list?
ScottStapp73: oh definitely -
ScottStapp73: u2 ... jimmy page ... sting ... and can't forget dave grohl!
PeteInMusic: that's a great list - ever meet any of them?
ScottStapp73: all of them at one point or another
PeteInMusic: ahhh...the benefit of being a rockstar =)
ScottStapp73: yeah you don't even know...
PeteInMusic: have you ever been star-struck meeting someone else?
ScottStapp73: dave grohl
ScottStapp73:
PeteInMusic: no kidding - i heard he's a really laid back guy
ScottStapp73: yeah me too
PeteInMusic: anyway - the new single, "the great divide" is a great song - it definitely doesn't seem to stray at all from the Creed sound - was that done on purpose?
ScottStapp73: the creed sound is my sound
ScottStapp73: so it was only natural that i'd bring it to my solo career as well
PeteInMusic: makes total sense
PeteInMusic: the whole creed break-up was pretty rocky - the rest of the band + the press wasn't very nice at times
PeteInMusic: what was it like on a personal level to go through all of that?
ScottStapp73: it hurt very much - but without that experience in my life, i would not be where i am today
ScottStapp73: and been able to create The Great Divide
PeteInMusic: so, in a way, you see it all as a positive thing?
ScottStapp73: very
ScottStapp73: and i'm all about the future now
PeteInMusic: I know you've gone through your share of health problems in the past too - at what point did it really get bad, and what did you do to get past it?
ScottStapp73: it was bad for a couple of years
ScottStapp73: and with the involvement of the best medical care and exercise i was able to overcome my illness -
ScottStapp73: and i'm just trying to live one day at a time ...
PeteInMusic: is there any more advice you want to give to fans that might have gone through the same things you were going through?
PeteInMusic: i know part of what you were going through had to deal with a medication called Prednison..
ScottStapp73: get help when you need it
PeteInMusic: was it hard to ask for help when you were wrapped into the peak of Creed's success?
PeteInMusic: there must of been so many outside pressures...
ScottStapp73: no, it wasn't hard -
ScottStapp73: i did ask my friends for help, and they were more concerned about money than my health
ScottStapp73: but that's the past, everyone makes mistakes, i know i've made plenty
PeteInMusic: so looking into the future - what are your tour plans?
ScottStapp73: the tour will begin in late feb / early march next year
ScottStapp73: we'll be doing a handful of surprise shows all over the country
ScottStapp73: in smaller venues - we'll be doing songs i wrote in the past, as well as the new album
PeteInMusic: how much of your live show will be composed of creed songs?
ScottStapp73: i'll mix it up - the entire new album, and then we'll probably do between 6-8 of my creed songs depending on the night
PeteInMusic: that's great to hear - i wasn't so sure if you were going to play the old stuff
ScottStapp73: i can't think of any reason not to play the songs that i've written
ScottStapp73: that i enjoy playing and that i still want to perform for the fans
PeteInMusic: the only reason i said that because -
PeteInMusic: your former bandmate, mark tremonti was quoted as saying that the 2 of you had an agreement - if the band wasn't together anymore, it would be unfair to Creed fans to still perform Creed songs.
ScottStapp73: the agreement was just, if one of us died
ScottStapp73: there was also an agreement, we'd never announce a breakup - but I guess Mark interpreted that in a way that would benefit him (like he did with that issue you mentioned)
PeteInMusic: why didn't you want to announce a break-up?
ScottStapp73: let's talk about the present - but to answer your question - we were four young college kids who made a pact that we were going to stay together forever
ScottStapp73: and never announce a breakup, to preserve our legacy...
PeteInMusic: there are still people that label your music as Christian Rock - do you see that as a negative genre of music to be put into - or are you ok if people perceive you this way
ScottStapp73: i can't effect people's perceptions - i can just be who i am
ScottStapp73: and i don't care how they label me
PeteInMusic: well, for the record, i really dig the new album - track 10 is my favorite - "broken" - it sounds like your next big rock ballad!
ScottStapp73: thank you very much -
PeteInMusic: do you get influenced by other music you listen to when writing?
ScottStapp73: i don't listen to music
PeteInMusic: really? none at all?
ScottStapp73: i spend so much time writing , creating and rehearsing my own
ScottStapp73: that when i'm alone - i prefer silence
PeteInMusic: what about movies, do you make time for watching a movie now and then?
ScottStapp73: i love watching movies! the last movie i saw was The Score -
ScottStapp73: DeNiro, Ed Norton, and Brando
ScottStapp73: shot by Scorsese - brilliant!
PeteInMusic: how about your favortie movie of all time?
ScottStapp73: The Godfather Trilogy -
ScottStapp73: and Scarface...
PeteInMusic: into the mob movies eh?
ScottStapp73: yeah
ScottStapp73: they're so insightful
PeteInMusic: so looking into the future, what goals do you want to accomplish in your life - even beyond this solo release?
ScottStapp73: i want to coach my kid's high school football team
ScottStapp73: and win some state championships!
ScottStapp73: and of course next year's tour!
PeteInMusic: ok - one final question that i have to ask - would you like to see Creed get back together one day?
ScottStapp73: right now it's just something i can't really give an answer to
ScottStapp73: i'm just focused on the new album
ScottStapp73: peace everybody - thanks!
PeteInMusic: thanks Scott - take care
ScottStapp73: thanks to all the fans out there - you rock!

PeteInMusic works in our radio department and has never won a state football championship.

What did you think about this AIM Interview? Send us your feedback.

if(window.sb_id) {sb_end();}Smartbox™ Suggestions
What is this?