Thread: Mad Cow
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 07:14 PM   #18
JenRN
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by marlsy) Jen, tell me the stuff about artificial sweetners! I'm curious, I don't use them much, only in ice tea in the summer. The rare beef thing your thinking of e-coli right? It's hamburger that you can get that from if it's rare inside. E-coli can't penatrate steak, only survive on the surface, hamburger is ground up so it can be dangerous. In my mind I know that mad cow most likely won't happen, but it still freaks me out. Did you know it is a slow virus like HIV and takes 10 to 12 years to show symptoms and there is no test for it to see if you have it. That's freaky to me!
Well..... articficial sweetners like Nutrasweet, Splenda, Equal etc... are VERY bad for you. They have linked it to several nervous system diseases like MS!!!! I had a patient about a month ago that was newly diagnosed with MS and they did all kinds of testing on her. One thing that put her at a high risk was all she drank was DIET COKE!!!! In college we called it a "can of carcinogens" it is all chemicals that are manufactured in a plant somewhere, nothing natural about them. People say Splenda is made from sugar, well it is BUT they say it is just as bad for you if not worse than the others. Think about it, it is all chemicals and cancer causing crap. I myself just use real sugar and sometimes "sugar in the raw" I just don't use lots of sugar to help save on calories. I also don't eat margarine or fake butter. I use the real deal, just watch portion sizes.

As far as mad cow disease, I saw on the news that they said it is the brain, and brain stem and spinal cord of the cow that contains the disease NOT the muscle of the meat that we eat.

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"