View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 AM   #66
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Yeah, which is what I've been trying to say. Playing and singing, that's restrictive. Stapp's the kind of lead singer that likes to move around alot. If you're playing guitar and singing, you can't really move around that much. And as you pointed out, it might have messed with his vocals. I'm actually glad he didn't start playing and singing in concert. I think it would have lessened the actual quality of the show. As I said earlier, if they really needed a second guitarist, why not bring in someone? Lots of other bands have brought in guys just for the tour, Creed could have as well. They did it for Bass, so why not guitar? Just something I've thought of.

I was half-joking, half-serious in my earlier post, Uncertain. You're right, if Stapp had taken some time, he could have done basic things on Guitar. But maybe he just didn't want to? Maybe he really dug his heels in and fought it. Not defending Stapp, just saying some of the possibilites. Anyone who takes up Guitar has to have a motivation for doing so. Otherwise, there's gonna be a lack of desire to practice and get better. You just can't take up guitar for the hell of it, there's gotta be a reason and a motivation. That goes for anyone, Stapp included. I don't think Stapp had much of a personal reason to take up guitar, and that led to a lack of desire to practice(on the tour bus, as you mentioned) which led to him just not playing at all. It's understandable. I don't think Stapp is "guitar" challenged, I believe there just wasn't much of a desire to take it up, considering he already sang and did lyrics, and that's a big contribution to a band. But maybe I'm wrong and maybe he is "guitar" challenged. Who knows?

"guitar-challenged"... That's hilarious. Anyway, yeah, but he didn't really need to sing and play at the same time. Mark really jsut wanted it for the solos, where there wouldn't be any singing anyway. So that excuse doesn't work to well.

I don't think he was like an idiot for not learning the guitar (plenty of other reasons to call Stapp an idiot... lol), I jsut think its kinda funny. Either way, thank goodness for Myles. Two shred capable guitarists on the same stage. Very nice. NOW IF I COULD JUST GET TO ONE OF THOSE STAGES! GRRRRR!