View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:58 AM   #8
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: I Got A Bit Upset by a Billboard

Quote: (Originally Posted by Buried And Gone) Well, i did say it jokingly. But I do think Christ was an awesome person. The son of god? No.

Comments like this have always been interesting to me. Certainly the most reliable and detailed source we have when it comes to records of Christ's life is of course the bible. I take it you think claims that he was were exaggerations? Do you believe He made that claim Himself?
I have a hard time believing that people can read the bible and not call bullshit on it. I believe in a god, in an afterlife. I am anti-abortion but pro-gay marriage. Most of what the bible says i find to be morally wrong though. people having children with their own family.
Any specific cases of this off the top of your head? I think I know where you're going with this. One thing worth mentioning, I think, is that it was in a way kind of almost a necessity at first just due to there not being enough people around to have children outside one's family. Once the population was such that it was not in a sense a necessity anymore, then it became as immoral and sinful as what you or most other people consider it to be.

Lot offering his own daughters to be raped instead of the two angels who visited him. Does nobody else see anything wrong with that?

Don't you think rape is a little strong? If a father offers his daughter, I don't think you can call it rape... especially at that time. We might be inclined to almost think that today if the daughter wanted no part of it, but again we're talking about different times and different culture. We would look at something much milder like an arranged marriage as being not "wrong" per se, but odd to say the least. The main point was what the people of Sodom and Gomorrah were doing was unnatural and against God's way, and Lot knew this and knew what type of men he was dealing with. I'm pretty sure Lot didn't want these men touching his daughters, but didn't know what else to do or say to get rid of them. Besides, just because it's recorded in the bible that Lot said that very thing, that doesn't mean that it was approved of by God. I have yet to see a commandment from God anywhere in scripture saying "Thou shalt offer your daughters to sexually deviant and crazed men" Recording an event in history is not necessarily endorsing that same action.
I usually choose to go straight to mocking religious peoples views becuase lets face it, most of them are fucking crazy and 99.9% are just unwilling to listen to reason. I'm sorry if i offended you but in thinking about it I would consider myself a "brother in christ" just not by your deffenition

I appreciate the apology. As I said before, have a good day.

Jason