View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
creedsoul~
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: But I Thought The Earth Was 6,000 Years Old

Quote: (Originally Posted by Faithwalker012) So you have then 8 days, or let's even say 8,000 years. Add that to the point where the calendar starts at about 4004 BC to now, and you're looking at 14,000 years. But 14,000 years is still far too short of a time for this world to have existed according to science. So is science wrong, or is God's word wrong? Or is it maybe that neither is necessarily wrong, but it is ignorance of God's Word by many christians that causes the problem? Let's take a look and see if we can figure this out.

Jason

I believe it to be obvious that the understanding of the people of the time was not as sophisticated as it is today. That doesn't mean anyone is "wrong". It means as technology advances so should our understanding.

"Evidence from radiometric dating indicates that the Earth is about 4.570 billion years old. The geological or deep time of Earth's past has been organized into various units according to events which took place in each period. Different spans of time on the time scale are usually delimited by major geological or paleontological events, such as mass extinctions. For example, the boundary between the Cretaceous period and the Paleogene period is defined by the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event, which marked the demise of the dinosaurs and of many marine species. Older periods which predate the reliable fossil record are defined by absolute age."

Billions of years old not thousands. Trying to calculate what they thought the timeline communicated was, is going to be very difficult to judge. There is substantial evidence to support the scientists theory, making it very difficult to argue with imo. But I will try and wait patiently for your point.