View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: But I Thought The Earth Was 6,000 Years Old

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Well now, when was this beginning? It doesn't say. Man can try to set a date on it, but in doing so they often wind up being wrong, and they wind up being wrong because they don't know what is really said in the very next verse.

1:2 And the earth waswithout form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
That Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit, naturally there at this time. But there's a reason why I bolded the word "was". That's the word that trips people up, because you see there is no verb "to be" in the ancient Hebrew. The word is Hebrew word 1961 in a Strong's Concordance, hayah, and it means to come to pass, or in other words to become. Maybe I shouldn't say there is no verb to be, because there is the word havah, which looks very similiar, and actually can be used as to be in the sense of existence. But this word 1961 hayah is to come to pass, or to become. It's the same word as is found in Genesis 2:7 "man became a living soul", and Genesis 4:3 "it came to pass that Cain brought the fruit of the ground", Genesis 9:15 the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh,Genesis 19:26 where Lot's wife became a pillar of salt, and a couple of other places.

So let's go back and correct it.

And the earth became without form, and void,

Well then, how did it come to pass, why did it come to pass, and what does all this mean? Is it possible for God to create something void and without form, and would there be a reason for Him to do so?

The answer to that of course is no, and I'll be getting to that after a while. But for now, just think about the possible span of time involved, don't think too long, but think about how the earth was created, and then it became without form, and void. We'll be taking a look at these Hebrew words without form and void in a bit too, because they're really quite interesting. But one mistranslation, one little word, or the tense of the verb, and it's thrown many christians off, who thought the world was without form and void even at creation, and not that it was existing just fine, and then something happened to cause that condition to come to pass.

What happened? Well, stay tuned.

Jason