Thread: World Cup 2006
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #24
Robin101
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: World Cup 2006

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) There is only one favourite: Brasil.

They have the most talented squad, the players that won't be in their start-up team would probably be in every other team's start-up line.

Germany will win from lesser teams, but their team is really not that good, there would have to be a lot of momentum going on there if they had to go far. In Korea/Japan they had the luck that they didn't have to go up against a 'big' team untill the final. This time they will secure the second round and than it's going to be hard for them.

England's chances of going very far are also down 50% now that Rooney is out.

The Ivory coast could surprise, as they are in our group, I'm a bit scared of them, these are teams who play great or terrible, there is often no middle ground.

Other teams that will get far or at least have the potential to do so are Italy and Argentina and maybe France or the Czechs.

For our own team, the Dutch, the squad is not as extremely talented as in other years, but our coach Van Basten seems to be able to get a good team-performance. The question is whether some of our players like Robben, Kuyt, Van Nistelrooy and Cocu can reach their best form, also our in-experienced defense players don't seem to be in the best shape lately. Another problem is our group of death, you have to be on top from day 1 and that might become a problem too. On the other hand, whenever a tournament was played in Germany we have always at least reached the final

I agree with you about all those teams. France are not a great team but any team who has the best player in the world in their side has a great chance.

I disagree with you regarding England. Our chances of going far in the competition have been dented by Rooney's injury but not by 50%. We have the players to go very far without him. If we reach the Q-F Rooney could be fit by then - he is the difference between us winning the cup and only reaching the Q-F though. A little fact about our qualification - Rooney never even scored. We have goals throughout the team - Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole in midfield and at set-pieces our defenders Terry and Ferdinand are dangerous. Not to mention Michael Owen, who had a superior goal-to-game ratio than Raul, Robinho and Ronaldo when he was at Real Madrid.

I love watching Holland play. I remember their match against the Czechs in 2002. I think you lost 3-2 but what a great match (for the neutral!!). If you play as a team (which has been your downfall in the past) you should go close.

Brazil are the favourites but are no dead-certs...

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger

Last edited by Robin101 : 05-11-2006 at 06:55 PM.